2020 NBA Regular Season Thread

bmags

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

If Kyrie isn't in this trade, well, may god bless Steve Nash's soul.

he is not.

This is the most talented team I've seen that I have very little confidence could win a title.

• Haha 1

Phil Jackson wouldn't be able to keep this group together. But good luck to nash.

Nets did an amazing job getting themselves together.

But what do I know, I didn't think Lebron/AD and nobody would work. Turns out they were one of the best teams of the decade, and now are stacked 1 year later.

I'm sure this amazing team of joyless basketball will be a juggernaut. 

Go Heat. Go Bucks. 

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Rockets have a ton of assets now, Christian Wood looks great, Oladipo can either be signed on or give them space next year. They are probably just as likely as OKC/NOP to get the next star.

Bulls are not.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Rockets have a ton of assets now, Christian Wood looks great, Oladipo can either be signed on or give them space next year. They are probably just as likely as OKC/NOP to get the next star.

Bulls are not.

Besides for Leonard what star is out there next year?

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

Besides for Leonard what star is out there next year?

Oladipo, depending on how the rest of the Rockets season goes.

Meanwhile, the Nets ... hoo boy. There's not enough popcorn in the universe for that team when you consider the talent level and the drama level.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Bulls are not.

In this day and age - it seems like its more a matter of can you have a team that a star basically says that is where I want to go.  Houston is always going to be attractive because of the tax play and I always think Miami will as well (technically San Antonio / Orlando have that same advantage - they just don't operate that way as much). LA & NY don't have the tax advantage - but they have the marketing advantage and than I'd put the Bulls as kind of the very next tier...where there main advantage would be a local guy and/or the right team and obviously the brand recognition of Chicago.  

I think Arturas and team understand that so they want to build a player friendly reputation, have flexible assets, and build as solid of a team as they can via draft and trades...probably knowing they may not hit a HR on the free agent space - but if they do things right, maybe they can land someone via trade and than that pushes the scales to hit it big via FA.  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

In this day and age - it seems like its more a matter of can you have a team that a star basically says that is where I want to go.  Houston is always going to be attractive because of the tax play and I always think Miami will as well (technically San Antonio / Orlando have that same advantage - they just don't operate that way as much). LA & NY don't have the tax advantage - but they have the marketing advantage and than I'd put the Bulls as kind of the very next tier...where there main advantage would be a local guy and/or the right team and obviously the brand recognition of Chicago.  

I think Arturas and team understand that so they want to build a player friendly reputation, have flexible assets, and build as solid of a team as they can via draft and trades...probably knowing they may not hit a HR on the free agent space - but if they do things right, maybe they can land someone via trade and than that pushes the scales to hit it big via FA.  

Well yes, most of the time, but we did just have Toronto happen. And Boston with Kyrie is sort of an example but not really.

I would say it's more of a good thing that now stars are moving and you can say teams are getting closer to fair return. Not like the Chris Paul trade way back when.

11 minutes ago, Quin said:

Oladipo, depending on how the rest of the Rockets season goes.

Meanwhile, the Nets ... hoo boy. There's not enough popcorn in the universe for that team when you consider the talent level and the drama level.

I dont think Oladipo is a transcendent star. He is a good player, but Brogdan surpassed him.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Next year dried up but who saw Harden as likely to move this time last year? NBA man.

FA is weak next year. Bulls could definitely try and swing a trade though. 

Edited by Soxbadger

Man I actually think this really helps Pacers too. Oladipo was better this year when I saw them but that has become Brogdon and Sabonis' team. Lavert I probably like more than he is worth but he gets you a lot of the same production there and he has 2 more years control after this.

The east is getting smarter and more loaded.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I am still at a stage where I think this team should be grabbing every pick it can get ahold of, even it is sacrifices someone off of the roster.

The only team that got picks was the Rockets. And I want no part of what that franchise has done. 

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

The only team that got picks was the Rockets. And I want no part of what that franchise has done. 

If we could have moved a player to get picks, I don't care who we get them from.  This team needs chances at top end players, and they probably aren't getting them in free agency because there isn't anyone here worth coming to play with.

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If we could have moved a player to get picks, I don't care who we get them from.  This team needs chances at top end players, and they probably aren't getting them in free agency because there isn't anyone here worth coming to play with.

They arent just moving a player, they are moving a top end player. Not only that, they swapped Wall for Westbrook to appease that top end player. And that is looking worse by the day.

You have to give some of these players a chance under Donovan. I have been pessimistic on LaVine for years, but all of a sudden he seems to have found another level. 

Just now, Soxbadger said:

They arent just moving a player, they are moving a top end player. Not only that, they swapped Wall for Westbrook to appease that top end player. And that is looking worse by the day.

You have to give some of these players a chance under Donovan. I have been pessimistic on LaVine for years, but all of a sudden he seems to have found another level. 

Eh. Listen the owner stuff blew up.

But this team had run its course and harden was becoming a problem. Harden was the one who demanded the Russ trade. Then this summer blows up and harden starts grumbling and then Russ demands a trade.

Houston certainly got the worst end of Westbrook overall, but I'd rather be them with Wall than Washington with Westbrook right now.

The new owner clearly sucks and the band breaking up so fast is a part of that. But there was going to be an end here, and now they have a team of some interesting and productive players, a good coach, a bunch of picks. 

It should have turned out way, way worse for them with Russ and Harden in the summer. This was a decent way out. At least Wall is playing right now, and he'll likely look better without harden.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I definitely thought they would win a title. It's unreal to me they never did, but they probably would have if not for one of the best teams ever.

Harden didn't hit his prime yet when he was with OKC. If they keep him, they definitely win a title. A team with prime KD, Westbrook and Harden is just filthy. 

Edited by ron883

• bmags locked this topic