Oscar Colas declared free agent

reiks12

44 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is hard to say for sure, but the reports are that basically no one has money left for the signing period going on now, nor the one that starts in January.

The previous signing period ended on October 15, and the new one beings on January 15. Nobody could sign between then, so everything is just waiting for the next period to open. 

13 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

How could that be? Seems so weird, but hopeful he signs too

Teams most likely had their agreements reached before the period got pushed back, so the money has (for the most part) been spoken for for months. 

16 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

How could that be? Seems so weird, but hopeful he signs too

Remember originally this period was supposed begin July 2, and teams would have already had people lined up for years for this period.  Most teams already have their allotments spent in under the table agreements long before July 2.  Now with a few extra months and knowing that trades can't happen in the new period, it is going to be worse than normal

I don't get why him and ohtani did not wait till age 25 and become an unrestricted free agent.

The first 3 years in mlb pay is probably worse than in japan plus colas might need to get into the minors for no pay at all.

I read ohtani made like 1 mil in japan per year so why not stay there till age 25, make more than in mlb during that Time and more importantly not be under contract for 3 more years but be able to sign a 100mil contract at age 25.

Now of course he could get hurt and never make mlb but don't forget that in the first 6 years mlb contracts aren't guaranteed either.

5 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I don't get why him and ohtani did not wait till age 25 and become an unrestricted free agent.

The first 3 years in mlb pay is probably worse than in japan plus colas might need to get into the minors for no pay at all.

I read ohtani made like 1 mil in japan per year so why not stay there till age 25, make more than in mlb during that Time and more importantly not be under contract for 3 more years but be able to sign a 100mil contract at age 25.

Now of course he could get hurt and never make mlb but don't forget that in the first 6 years mlb contracts aren't guaranteed either.

They are competitors and want to play in the best league in the world.

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

Ontani said at the time of signing that he cared more about playing at the highest level than he did immediately making the highest salary.

Could the Sox theoretically sign Colas for whatever it is they have left, and then have a handshake agreement to extend him a few months later so he gets closer to what he'd normally get?  Or would that trigger a bunch of tampering / INTL spending limit rules?  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Could the Sox theoretically sign Colas for whatever it is they have left, and then have a handshake agreement to extend him a few months later so he gets closer to what he'd normally get?  Or would that trigger a bunch of tampering / INTL spending limit rules?  

Curious on this as well.

37 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

With as closely as these things are becoming monitored, it would be a huge red flag if it happened very quickly.  Maybe on the verge of a call up or just after it like most players on the Sox have seen.

39 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't think so. I can't point to a specific thing, but this was a big discussion when Ohtani came over even after the new CBA was seemingly written to screw him over. The consensus was if any team did it, MLB would bring down the hammer.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd guess the MLB would file that under the "You Can't Do That" department and not be very pleased with the White Sox.

8 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I'd guess the MLB would file that under the "You Can't Do That" department and not be very pleased with the White Sox.

If they found it as an intentional action, they could turn the entire class into free agents.  If they find the Sox manipulated this class too, we could lose everyone, plus penalties, like they did to BOS and ATL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

James had this 6 months ago:

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?/topic/109238-intl-bonus-pools-announced/&do=findComment&comment=3923687

And Badler called the Cespedes signing 2 months ago:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/chicago-white-sox-2020-21-international-signing-preview/

They pretty much confirmed Sox have no money left for the next period.