Oscar Colas declared free agent

reiks12

Here's what I know on Colas: He'll have a workout in January. There are some rumors that his team is desperate and they might take a shitty deal for this period but most people don't believe it. Nobody can even offer him $2 million on January 15. Nobody has it. If he waits 13 months, the White Sox are absolutely in. These kids got absolutely fucked by MLB and the PA though. Colas, Pino, Dyan Yamel etc are in a terrible spot. Cespedes would have signed this past July and been in the system. Yamel, Pino and Colas would've waited until J2 2021 and then entered systems. Now they have to wait until January 2022 and debut the following season. Really shitty situation overall. 

• Thanks 5

11 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Here's what I know on Colas: He'll have a workout in January. There are some rumors that his team is desperate and they might take a shitty deal for this period but most people don't believe it. Nobody can even offer him $2 million on January 15. Nobody has it. If he waits 13 months, the White Sox are absolutely in. These kids got absolutely fucked by MLB and the PA though. Colas, Pino, Dyan Yamel etc are in a terrible spot. Cespedes would have signed this past July and been in the system. Yamel, Pino and Colas would've waited until J2 2021 and then entered systems. Now they have to wait until January 2022 and debut the following season. Really shitty situation overall. 

Do we even have say $500k to throw at him in a shitty offer or the did $2M Cespedes got wipe us clean?

4 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I don't get why him and ohtani did not wait till age 25 and become an unrestricted free agent.

The first 3 years in mlb pay is probably worse than in japan plus colas might need to get into the minors for no pay at all.

I read ohtani made like 1 mil in japan per year so why not stay there till age 25, make more than in mlb during that Time and more importantly not be under contract for 3 more years but be able to sign a 100mil contract at age 25.

Now of course he could get hurt and never make mlb but don't forget that in the first 6 years mlb contracts aren't guaranteed either.

Because every year is precious.  And just think, if Ohtani waited and blew out his arm in Japan, where would he be now?   Would he be as coveted?  Would he be offered the same contract?

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Could the Sox theoretically sign Colas for whatever it is they have left, and then have a handshake agreement to extend him a few months later so he gets closer to what he'd normally get?  Or would that trigger a bunch of tampering / INTL spending limit rules?  

This was asked in a fangraphs chat and they said the owners would make sure this would get punished very tough. This is also why that braves GM and the braves got punished more than the astros, owners are very strict against any rule violation that increases player player earnings because they don't want a precedent to be set that could cost owners money.

The owners simply don't want an under the table bidding war. This is not about integrity and level playing field but about controlling owner expenses which is extremely important to owners.

So if a team did it the owners would demand manfred to punish this.

Edited by Dominikk85
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Do we even have say $500k to throw at him in a shitty offer or the did $2M Cespedes got wipe us clean?

Based on what was said before, no.  If the deal we have with Cespedes is $2 and not 2.2, we have 300k tops.  If the deal is 2.2, we have about 100k left.

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Based on what was said before, no.  If the deal we have with Cespedes is $2 and not 2.2, we have 300k tops.  If the deal is 2.2, we have about 100k left.

Thanks...hopefully he’s willing wait another 12 months then and doesn’t take a shit offer from another club.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Thanks...hopefully he’s willing wait another 12 months then and doesn’t take a shit offer from another club.

The hope is if he is willing to take a shit offer, he will take it from a team that has been extremely Cuban friendly, and with which he seems to have had prior connections.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The hope is if he is willing to take a shit offer, he will take it from a team that has been extremely Cuban friendly, and with which he seems to have had prior connections.

As much as I want to believe this rumor unless like Jose is his paternal father or some shit it makes zero sense why he'd lock himself in like this.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

As much as I want to believe this rumor unless like Jose is his paternal father or some shit it makes zero sense why he'd lock himself in like this.

He has two choices.

1. Sign.early for a fraction of the dollars.

2. Sign a year later for money closer to what he expects, but spend 2021 out of US organized baseball. 

The expectations are he does #2, with the White Sox.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

He has two choices.

2. Sign a year later for money closer to what he expects, but spend 2021 out of US organized baseball. 

Yea sure, but isn't there like a good chance the Sox will be outbid?

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

No one has money left for scenario 1, so maybe,  but we are talking about hundreds of thousands and not millions,  so it wouldn't be a large difference. 

In scenario 2, the Sox probably have more room than most or all because they aren't as deep into Latin American signings as other teams and probably have money left over like they did for 2021 until they agreed with Cespedes. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

There is but just recall how the Sox have really not played in the sixteen year old market. Those dudes are mostly committed at 14 and grossly younger.

The rumor from BA last year was clubs are committed years and years out now, so this is where the Cuban exports have just been crushed. Sox have had a lot of flexibility which is often not great but in this case excellent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

There is but just recall how the Sox have really not played in the sixteen year old market. Those dudes are mostly committed at 14 and grossly younger.

The rumor from BA last year was clubs are committed years and years out now, so this is where the Cuban exports have just been crushed. Sox have had a lot of flexibility which is often not great but in this case excellent.

Yeah I mean by not having a lot of 16 year olds signed up during the 19-20 period it left them an extra $2.5 million to sign Yolbert Sanchez. It left them an extra 2 million to sign Cespedes this next period, and the expectation is that they have some untold millions left over to throw at Colas in Jan of 2022. 

If you think of teams like SD, LAD, BOS, NYY, CHC, TBR ect they are already in agreement with so many younger kids that their 21 and 22 allotments are already spent. They couldn't go after Colas if they wanted to.

The 1 other team I can think of right away that typically doesn't spend heavily on young kids in Latin America is Baltimore.  In their case I have zero idea what they are committed to for 21 and 22 to know if they could put something together or not.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah I mean by not having a lot of 16 year olds signed up during the 19-20 period it left them an extra $2.5 million to sign Yolbert Sanchez. It left them an extra 2 million to sign Cespedes this next period, and the expectation is that they have some untold millions left over to throw at Colas in Jan of 2022. 

If you think of teams like SD, LAD, BOS, NYY, CHC, TBR ect they are already in agreement with so many younger kids that their 21 and 22 allotments are already spent. They couldn't go after Colas if they wanted to.

The 1 other team I can think of right away that typically doesn't spend heavily on young kids in Latin America is Baltimore.  In their case I have zero idea what they are committed to for 21 and 22 to know if they could put something together or not.

Baltimore started using the space with Elias 

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

I like to imagine Marco Paddy and Rick Hahn were flustered while in a meeting one day, talking to one another about how JR won't sign 14-16 year olds.

Then Jose Abreu entered the room in this fashion:

original.gif

8 minutes ago, Quin said:

I like to imagine Marco Paddy and Rick Hahn were flustered while in a meeting one day, talking to one another about how JR won't sign 14-16 year olds.

Then Jose Abreu entered the room in this fashion:

original.gif

I said it the other day, but I almost wonder if the Sox have mapped out these Cuban kids and are actually saving money to spend on these kids as a sort of moneyball situation where everyone else is so into the 16 year olds, that it leaves the market as an inefficiency for the Sox to exploit.

53 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He has two choices.

We’ll probably know where Colas is going regardless in January. If he commits to White Sox for 2022, he can go to DSL facility and play in Tricky League games as a member of org. Just not officially signed and can’t play at an affiliate. 

51 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Probably not. Most teams probably have commitments for the following period as well. Sox usually have funds available due to how they play things. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Do you think Sox is a possibility for Pino and Yamel as well? I would think 2/3 (most likely Colas and Pino) is a good haul. Yamel previously had a $2.8M agreement with Rockies, and both Colas and Pino should sign for Cespedes money if not more. I’m sure they also have some minor signings lined up.

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

We’ll probably know where Colas is going regardless in January. If he commits to White Sox for 2022, he can go to DSL facility and play in Tricky League games as a member of org. Just not officially signed and can’t play at an affiliate. 

Probably not. Most teams probably have commitments for the following period as well. Sox usually have funds available due to how they play things. 

This whole system is so dumb.

• Thanks 1