Oscar Colas declared free agent

reiks12

Just from watching highlight videos  (all I have  to go on) , I think Colas may have even more of an upside to his career than Cespedes.  I Like Colas left hand swing and his ability to adjust and hit the ball the opposite way.  Where Cespedes strength looks like it  mainly comes from the weight room, Colas seems to have natural core strength albeit covered by a lot of baby fat.  If Colas slims down and loses the gut, I think he could be major league material right away.

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Fuck the MLB man.  Fans want to see these players ASAP.  Just a disheartening situation.

Yes, the Players Union needs to include improving this system, minor league compensation, and significantly increasing minimum ML salaries, and fix the clock manipulation or knock off years of control in the 2022 negotiations.

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yes, the Players Union needs to include improving this system, minor league compensation, and significantly increasing minimum ML salaries, and fix the clock manipulation or knock off years of control in the 2022 negotiations.

The players union is the ones who allowed this to happen. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Agreed, the Union has provided weak leadership the past few years. Would like to see a change in leadership and or negotiation priorities impacting the broader rank and file. 

Less weak leadership and more the MLBPA doesn't care about non-MLB players. The MLBPA might be the most powerful union in the nation when it comes to getting what they want. 

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Less weak leadership and more the MLBPA doesn't care about non-MLB players. The MLBPA might be the most powerful union in the nation when it comes to getting what they want. 

With the loss of nearly 2/3 of the schedule last year due to the owners intentionally dragging out the lockout, the continued annual depression of free agent salaries and collusion, reduction in draft compensation and other losses over the past few years, not sure they are the strongest sports union at this point. 

Also, perhaps the MLBPA doesn't care about potential members, but they should, or at least assist in establishing a minor league players union. Would be a smart long term move to consider.

12 hours ago, tray said:

Just from watching highlight videos  (all I have  to go on) , I think Colas may have even more of an upside to his career than Cespedes.  I Like Colas left hand swing and his ability to adjust and hit the ball the opposite way.  Where Cespedes strength looks like it  mainly comes from the weight room, Colas seems to have natural core strength albeit covered by a lot of baby fat.  If Colas slims down and loses the gut, I think he could be major league material right away.

Colas has slimmed down a lot in the recent months and looks to be in much better shape now. 

Here's a video from February

And one from October

7 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

both guys are signable now right? I have no problem admitting I don't have all the info

They are. The speculation is Sox had an agreement with Cespedes dating back months. Colas is now available as well but Sox weren’t going to renege on Cespedes agreement because Colas is now available. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

both guys are signable now right? I have no problem admitting I don't have all the info

They weren't when Cesepedes was available to sign.  The Colas thing literally JUST happened.  They would have to tell Cespedes to get bent to sign Colas, and that isn't going to happen or they ruin their ability to sign players in the future.

Mlbpa needs a more wholistic approach but MLb deserves blame too. They put these rules in place just as it was clear ohtani was about to come over. Thankfully he still did, but it made it a difficult choice.

The mlb commish should try to affirm to owners that actually it’s good for them to have the best players in the world come over and not freeze them out for years.

Yeah, the draft will solve this, but this cba was garbage and the owners are way more interested in winning tit for tats with players than improving the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Mlbpa needs a more wholistic approach but MLb deserves blame too. They put these rules in place just as it was clear ohtani was about to come over. Thankfully he still did, but it made it a difficult choice.

The mlb commish should try to affirm to owners that actually it’s good for them to have the best players in the world come over and not freeze them out for years.

Yeah, the draft will solve this, but this cba was garbage and the owners are way more interested in winning tit for tats with players than improving the game.

Yeah, I mean if you look at this as 4D chess the idea was to crush segments of the international market so that an international draft wouldn't look so bad.  For ownership they got exactly what they wanted.  Years ago Ohtani would have been a hundred million dollar deal.  He got next to nothing to come here, and won't for years.  For the PA, they got things for the actual MLB players, and were perfectly willing to give up the MiLB and international players to do it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, I mean if you look at this as 4D chess the idea was to crush segments of the international market so that an international draft wouldn't look so bad.  For ownership they got exactly what they wanted.  Years ago Ohtani would have been a hundred million dollar deal.  He got next to nothing to come here, and won't for years.  For the PA, they got things for the actual MLB players, and were perfectly willing to give up the MiLB and international players to do it.

It’s hard when the mlb has now seen 25 years of interference free play to point the finger at it, but it just seems so much more dysfunctional for both parties than the other leagues.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

It’s hard when the mlb has now seen 25 years of interference free play to point the finger at it, but it just seems so much more dysfunctional for both parties than the other leagues.

Sure, and for a year or two it will be ugly.  Then the PA will cave to a draft and order will be restored.

Colas looks like he would fit perfectly in RF.  I like that smooth LH swing with that big bat he is using,

I would renege on the Cespedes deal  if that is what it takes to get Colas. 

And yes, I am mindful of how the decision to trade up for Trubisky worked out.

• Haha 2

The MLB needs to either have an international draft or allow them to enter the traditional draft when they hit 18. While they are at it, they need to get rid of the stupid rule requiring college players to finish their junior year before entering the draft. 

Since Colas has officially declared, MLB Pipeline has updated their rankings. Colas is now ranked #2 behind Cespedes. However Colas has 55 hit 60 power 55 Run, while Cespedes has 50 hit and 55 power 60 run. Their defensive grades are the same. Colas looks to be the better prospect on paper and is a full year younger.

Another reason to not read the Pipeline rankings too closely.

• Like 1