Oscar Colas declared free agent

reiks12

8 minutes ago, tray said:

Look, if the Sox want Colas, there is a legal path to sign him on Jan 15 that would not violate mlb rules or the law, as I set forth above.

I doubt Oscar is going to wait to sign until Jan 2022 because he really wants to play for the White Sox more than another team.

and  in the meantime, he sees that Cespedes is getting 2 Million.. Not going to happen.

OK, if that is what you think..wait and see what happens in January. Maybe that wink and a nod /sit tight/ see you next year strategy will work.

I doubt it.

No there is not. The White Sox do not have any money left in their bonus pool. They can't sign Oscar Colas with $$ in the upcoming period. He will have to wait until 2022 if he signs with the White Sox. 

7 minutes ago, tray said:

Look, if the Sox want Colas, there is a legal path to sign him on Jan 15 that would not violate mlb rules or the law, as I set forth above.

I doubt Oscar is going to wait to sign until Jan 2022 because he really wants to play for the White Sox more than another team.

and  in the meantime, he sees that Cespedes is getting 2 Million.. Not going to happen.

OK, if that is what you think..wait and see what happens in January. Maybe that wink and a nod /sit tight/ see you next year strategy will work.

I doubt it.

You’re not getting this, no one has $2M to give Colas in this period and it sounds like even $1M from a team would be a stretch.  He will likely wait a year to get $2M to $3M rather than take a few hundred thousand now.  And the White Sox have probably the best chance of landing him as we seem to not blow our entire load on 16 year olds and like have some uncommitted dollars of materiality unlike most other clubs.  Odds are pretty decent we get both Colas & Cespedes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tray said:

LA Angels

Boston Red Sox

NY Mets

Yankees

Not sure how much pool money they have, but there is interest from other teams.

The very 1st article states that the Angels SHOULD have on him.  Not going to waste time on the three, because every team SHOULD have interest, but until you literally show me the money of who CAN sign him, this isn't dealing in reality.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, tray said:

I doubt it.

You keep ignoring the fact this deal was agreed to long before Colas was available. The Sox aren't going to burn down their Cuban connections and pipeline just for 1 player. It is shooting yourself in the foot to get a day off of work.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tray said:

I doubt it.

Ok - let's run this back.

Teams agree to deals YEARS out. The Sox, because JR hates committing to 14 year old prospects (make of that what you will), usually have money in their coffers for big ticket signees - the more advanced Veras, Yolberts, and Cespedeses of the world. Yes, these are handshake deals, but these prospects are working out at team facilities. Norge Vera has all but "officially" been a White Sox prospect for months now.

For the Sox to sign Colas - who they've no doubtedly been in contact with if you look at his social media - they'd have to renege on deals with some of Yoelki Cespedes, Norge Vera, and the other six prospects they've already committed to sign. That will probably reflect poorly on the team in the future when negotiating with prospects in the future.

Oscar Colas is likely going to be asking for $2M+, which he would have been getting in the 2021-2022 period (previously July 2021 until MLB decided to change the rules). Barring extreme negligence on other teams parts, no one can offer that. So now he'll wait until January 2022. 

As James has repeatedly explained, he can make a handshake agreement with a team to accept a $2M+ offer and workout/play backfield games at DSL facilities - like Vera. The Sox just have to call him and say "hey, we know that no one can offer you what you want. You're friends with Moncada. You share an agent with him and Vera. You know we have a Cuban culture. If you wait until the next signing period, we've got you."

These aren't extenuating circumstances either - Cespedes has been a free agent, but he waited to sign for more. Yolbert Sanchez did the same.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Haha. 

I think Colas to the Sox in 2022 is a given at this point. The question is what does he do during 2021 to stay fresh? 

The other question is are all the people who trashed the Sox a few days ago for trading international signing slot and missing Colas gonna apologize or at least STFU forever about trashing the Sox and just be normal fans that don’t take shit personally?  

16 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

The other question is are all the people who trashed the Sox a few days ago for trading international signing slot and missing Colas gonna apologize or at least STFU forever about trashing the Sox and just be normal fans that don’t take shit personally?  

Why?  It will have cost us talent no matter what and was stupid as fuck to do.  And why are you demanding these fans apologize and then say they shouldn’t take shit personally.  Talk about a walking contradiction.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Haha. 

I think Colas to the Sox in 2022 is a given at this point. The question is what does he do during 2021 to stay fresh? 

Listen to the Locked on Sox podcast with James Fox. He describes a way for Colas to technically still play at the Sox facility in unofficial games with other amateurs. He just isn't considered a Sox organizational guy until 2022. 

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Who is taking stuff personally here?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

You realize that the reason we don't have Colas TODAY is because we dealt international dollars for cost savings which we never used, right?  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why?  It will have cost us talent no matter what and was stupid as fuck to do.  And why are you demanding these fans apologize and then say they shouldn’t take shit personally.  Talk about a walking contradiction.

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You realize that the reason we don't have Colas TODAY is because we dealt international dollars for cost savings which we never used, right?  

Yup. Maybe we could have gotten Colas today — or Dyan Jorge. 

Next year this may cost us Luis Piño. We might still sign both, we are after all landing both Cespedes and Vera this year. It still handicaps the ability to sign players.

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

If they didn't trade the money they could possibly have him now.  It's a valid complaint.  One really doesn't have to do with the other. 

6 hours ago, Quin said:

At some point we're going to just see a photo of Abreu, Robert, Moncada, Grandal, Cespedes, and Vera having dinner with Colas.

At some point we will improve diplomacy with Cuba and the Sox can have one series there every season. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, aeichhor said:

This is wild. Impressive the Sox are able to restock the system the way they are, while graduating the type of talent they have.

They are definitely going to need trade chips the next few years at the deadline and may even have some depth for once when injuries hit.

On 12/25/2020 at 7:06 AM, thxfrthmmrs said:

Since Colas has officially declared, MLB Pipeline has updated their rankings. Colas is now ranked #2 behind Cespedes. However Colas has 55 hit 60 power 55 Run, while Cespedes has 50 hit and 55 power 60 run. Their defensive grades are the same. Colas looks to be the better prospect on paper and is a full year younger.

Another reason to not read the Pipeline rankings too closely.

Agreed all rankings should always be taken with a grain of salt and after this year even more so. Some people go around spouting FG's rankings and reviews as gospel.