2021 NHL Thread

soxfan49

46 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Yikes

The players KNEW this was happening to John Doe and said those things. Forget the slurs. Forget the F word. How about the other stuff?

As much as I hate to say it, that type of behavior was pretty common in my youth. 

When I was in HS some kid on the wrestling team got violated with an object by other members of the team and the same things happened to him. 

Obviously it's wrong but there were very few innocent people when it came to that. 

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

As much as I hate to say it, that type of behavior was pretty common in my youth. 

When I was in HS some kid on the wrestling team got violated with an object by other members of the team and the same things happened to him. 

Obviously it's wrong but there were very few innocent people when it came to that. 

2 things:

You keep saying "youth." You're assuming the players that said these things were "youth."

You also keep saying that this behavior and language is common. So fucking what? Does that make it ok or right? It's one thing to say "hey f****t" to a friend. It's another to embarrass a friend who's being sexually abused by yelling it across a hockey rink in front of the rest of the boys.

15 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

2 things:

You keep saying "youth." You're assuming the players that said these things were "youth."

You also keep saying that this behavior and language is common. So fucking what? Does that make it ok or right?

No, it doesn't. 

It's one thing to say "hey f****t" to a friend. It's another to embarrass a friend who's being sexually abused by yelling it across a hockey rink in front of the rest of the boys.

I fail to distinguish the difference. Both instances could be construed as "ball busting" or harassment.  You shouldn't call your friends the F word period because you don't know if they're closeted or not. 

Regardless, I'm straight and have been a target of homophobic harassment in the past....because I sound like a flamboyantly gay man or a woman if you hear me over the phone without knowing who's on the other end.  I can't control how my voice sounds. This shit hits a sore spot for me. I don't like it and I find it very uncomfortable. However, this is how young men behave. I just left a situation when it made me uncomfortable. 

I call customer service a lot and people think I'm a woman and call me "ma'am" It's incredibly frustrating but I accept it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm here to tell you that I'm in my mid 30s and most of the cultural shift happened over the last decade. As recently as the early 2000s the major networks were perfectly fine with using "gay" for something stupid/dumb on the Simpsons. It's Fox, so maybe I should put that note in there but it happened. 

"That's gay" for something stupid or dumb was pretty common ~15 years ago. People used to throw that around like people still threw the N word around in the 60s and 70s. 

The lawsuit filed in Cook County did not reference the term "gay", it referenced the taunts of the rape victims by members of the Chicago Hockey Team with the six letter f word and told them to perform other sexual acts and other slurs, none of them allowable on over the air broadcasts.

In other updates, a former NBA executive now with an NHL team is wondering WTF he gotten himself into.

Cronyism, it's a Chicago Sports Thang.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

I'm fine with that, but the cap hit sucks. 

Agreed. Love Boqvist but kid is just never healthy and has a concussion history. I'm real nervous on how many future picks Hawks gave up too.

6 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Agreed. Love Boqvist but kid is just never healthy and has a concussion history. I'm real nervous on how many future picks Hawks gave up too.

The problem is because of my lack of faith in Bowman...I think this is all just a fools errand, but I also can understand not trying to totally rebuild with Kane and (maybe) Toews still here. I  just don't see how these guys get back to a Stanley Cup the next 3-4 seasons. 

I take back all of the defending of Bowman over the last few seasons. 

You guys were right, I was wrong. 

That fucker gave out the Seabrook contract TWICE!!!!!!!!!

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice......

Not only did he give a kings ransom for Jones.......he gave a kings ransom for someone not even close to worthy of that type of package. 

Bowman just killed the Hawks for the entirety of the 2020s. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

With all of the off the ice stuff, I can't even muster the energy to care, let alone get excited. 

People should be used to compartmentalization. Many Sox fans have disliked the FO and TLR but still root for the players.

That was just a trial run for this step up.

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

People should be used to compartmentalization. Many Sox fans have disliked the FO and TLR but still root for the players.

That was just a trial run for this step up.

It’s a pretty large step up if everything that has come out thus far is true. Far different than not liking Rick Hahn because of some trades or Jerry not spending…

In terms of the deal…I just don’t totally get it. It seems like once again the Hawks set their focus on Seth Jones and we’re going to acquire him no matter what. The amount of draft capital they had to give up, not to much the gigantic cap hit….I just don’t see it 

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

At the time all this crap was happening,  most of us considered the Blackhawks a model professional sports franchise. Turns out they were anything but.

No doubt. 

i will say this, if Fleury decides to hang them up and Stan did not 1. get any compensation from Vegas back i.e. a draft pick and 2. literally helped a rival team out of their cap issue then he needs to be fired immediately. 

47 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

i will say this, if Fleury decides to hang them up and Stan did not 1. get any compensation from Vegas back i.e. a draft pick and 2. literally helped a rival team out of their cap issue then he needs to be fired immediately. 

How do you not have a conversation with the player beforehand? 

• bmags locked this topic