2021 NHL Thread

soxfan49

9 hours ago, Tony said:

1. Not lie to the media and fans by saying they had no idea when numerous reports contradict that

2. Not make quotes like this and defend the upper management you want me to go after (which I’m not taking any blame off of management by the way):

“To me, Stan and Al, make any argument you want, they’re not directly complicit in the activities that happened,” Toews said. “Regardless of mistakes that may have been made, for someone like Stan, who has done so much for the Blackhawks — and Al, as well — to lose everything they care about and their livelihoods as well ... I don’t understand how that makes it go away, to just delete them from existence and [say], ‘That’s it, we’ll never hear from them again.’”

This is one of the many reasons I kept you on ignore for so long. I’m sorry, but you simply can’t grasp nuance and understand even remotely complex arguments. 

He's exactly right.  You grab on to the black or white version of a story, ignore all of the gray, and then eventually throw a fit in frustration.  It's what you do here.

Also I'm autistic, gray areas are difficult for me. I'm trying my best. 

I'm willing to listen to others help me through them. 

Continue having discussions and it helps. 

I have an open mind. 

It takes time for me to process everything in a heated discussion, and I don't know when to back off a lot. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

To me this whole thing is very upsetting and casts a very dark cloud on probably my 2nd favorite team behind the White Sox.  The utter lack of compassion and common sense makes me want to throw up.  This crap makes the whole LaRussa debacle look like nothing by comparison.  I agree with the statement that unfortunately this happens everywhere and has probably happened in most locker rooms in most sports....but that needs to change.  The more this kind of stuff gets this much airplay and the more teams will do the right things just out of sheer fear of shame.  (I don't believe teams/organizations would do the right thing altruistically unfortunately)

I will never look at the Blackhawks in the same light.  Between this and what happened to Aliu is just extremely disheartening and disgusting really.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ron883 said:

Did you ever call anybody or anything gay in the 2000s?

I was at the Bears Packers game a couple of weeks ago and the guy sitting behind us kept saying "If you a Packer fan then your gay!".   He said it a least a dozen times and he got louder as he drank more.   Nobody laughed but there was a lot of cringing.   Finally a guy in a Packer jersey stood up and said "Is this gay?" and then made out with his girlfriend.   The whole section applauded and the guy finally shut up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

LOL. Not sure if you held a job this millennium, or the last few decades of the prior one.

Can’t imagine anyone writing that on a whiteboard, at least in a professional environment.

Last type of slur I can recall at a job was a consultant telling a lame joke in the late 1990s and he was gone as a result.

Has nothing to do with “woke” or “politics”, but rather just being a decent human being.

Use your brain sir. It was 2010. The Hangover came out then and "Paging Dr. Fa**ot" was a huge joke from it. 40 year old virgin had a scene where they constantly call each other gay. It was a different time then, it was also in a locker room. You would get offended at literally every locker room at the time lmao. 

I know you love finding reasons to get outraged and you love being the moral authority, but drop the holier than thou bullshit. 

• Fire 3

22 minutes ago, RichieZisk said:

I was at the Bears Packers game a couple of weeks ago and the guy sitting behind us kept saying "If you a Packer fan then your gay!".   He said it a least a dozen times and he got louder as he drank more.   Nobody laughed but there was a lot of cringing.   Finally a guy in a Packer jersey stood up and said "Is this gay?" and then made out with his girlfriend.   The whole section applauded and the guy finally shut up.

Obviously it is absolutely stupid to say and you look like an idiot doing it now.  One of the closest people to me is gay, so I never used the word really aside from the early 2000s, when I was young.

But getting offended for people saying it 10+ years ago? It was thrown around much more regularly then. As I posted, it was a popular joke in big named comedies. Put the focus towards the Blackhawks scandal, not stupid, inconsequential shit like "gay" being written on a white board. 

• Fire 1

13 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Obviously it is absolutely stupid to say and you look like an idiot doing it now.  One of the closest people to me is gay, so I never used the word really aside from the early 2000s, when I was young.

But getting offended for people saying it 10+ years ago? It was thrown around much more regularly then. As I posted, it was a popular joke in big named comedies. Put the focus towards the Blackhawks scandal, not stupid, inconsequential shit like "gay" being written on a white board. 

This was my overall point to what you QTed above, and no I don't get mad at people for saying it 10 years ago.  But What we are now seeing out of the blackhawks is a lot of warning signs back then that we all pushed aside as simple locker room antics.  Writing "gay" on the marker board is stupid, nobody should lose their job or be erased from the cup for that.  But when you look at it in context that they all knew what had happened, were bullying Beach at that time, and wrote that on the marker board, it becomes pretty gross.

and I obviously wish I didn't say shit like that and one of my close friends called me out for it around that time

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Agree.

37 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Agree.

I’ll also back this up. Getting upset over the word “gay” being written in a locker room 10 years ago against a rival player is focusing on the wrong things right now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Didnt Beckham write Getz is gay in the infield once around that time?

22 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Didnt Beckham write Getz is gay in the infield once around that time?

yup, and he got criticized for it but it didn't cost anyone their jobs, he just had to apologize and say "oh yeah that was kinda stupid we probably do have gay fans don't we".

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

This was my overall point to what you QTed above, and no I don't get mad at people for saying it 10 years ago.  But What we are now seeing out of the blackhawks is a lot of warning signs back then that we all pushed aside as simple locker room antics.  Writing "gay" on the marker board is stupid, nobody should lose their job or be erased from the cup for that.  But when you look at it in context that they all knew what had happened, were bullying Beach at that time, and wrote that on the marker board, it becomes pretty gross.

and I obviously wish I didn't say shit like that and one of my close friends called me out for it around that time

I mean here's the thing.  As humans we should be striving to be better.  If you are acting the same way you did 13 years ago, saying the same things you did 13 years ago, and thinking the same way you did 13 years ago... especially coming from being a teen or young adult, you aren't growing.  I could get extreme with my examples, but let's just say there are plenty of dumb things I did in my past.  But today I am trying to be better.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I mean here's the thing.  As humans we should be striving to be better.  If you are acting the same way you did 13 years ago, saying the same things you did 13 years ago, and thinking the same way you did 13 years ago... especially coming from being a teen or young adult, you aren't growing.  I could get extreme with my examples, but let's just say there are plenty of dumb things I did in my past.  But today I am trying to be better.

But I also think while you grow as a human, we as a society also mature and grow. Things in the culture change. How we view things when it's around for longer, when things become more accepted. I mean how long was the "Ret*rded" word used in our culture up until 5-10 years ago. That line was in so many movies, shows, etc. 

It's an offensive term now, as it should be...but we change as a culture. 

We're sort of getting off topic now and this is a very minimal issue in my opinion in the bigger picture with the Hawks, but I do think the cultural changes over the last decade are important to note. 

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

Use your brain sir. It was 2010. The Hangover came out then and "Paging Dr. Fa**ot" was a huge joke from it. 40 year old virgin had a scene where they constantly call each other gay. It was a different time then, it was also in a locker room. You would get offended at literally every locker room at the time lmao. 

I know you love finding reasons to get outraged and you love being the moral authority, but drop the holier than thou bullshit. 

You are the joke,, the same clown who threw a hissy fit about anything happening to Bruce Levine for texting Hillary Clinton dick picks.

You also lack being able to grasp the context that this was written in the same room where a widely known rape had occurred, by a person in power over a player trying to break into the league.

You and your kind are dying out of society. Godspeed.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

1 minute ago, Tony said:

But I also think while you grow as a human, we as a society also mature and grow. Things in the culture change. How we view things when it's around for longer, when things become more accepted. I mean how long was the "Ret*rded" word used in our culture up until 5-10 years ago. That line was in so many movies, shows, etc. 

It's an offensive term now, as it should be...but we change as a culture. 

We're sort of getting off topic now and this is a very minimal issue in my opinion in the bigger picture with the Hawks, but I do think the cultural changes over the last decade are important to note. 

And the changes for the better are striking from generation to generation.  It might also be worth noting that this being a scandal doesn't happen a generation ago.  It would have been boys being boys.  I think even when it happened, the mechanisms to make sure it doesn't happen again didn't really exist like they do now.

40 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

You are the joke,, the same clown who threw a hissy fit about anything happening to Bruce Levine for texting Hillary Clinton dick picks.

You also lack being able to grasp the context that this was written in the same room where a widely known rape had occurred, by a person in power over a player trying to break into the league.

You and your kind are dying out of society. Godspeed.

Come on man, @ron883 is a legit good dude.  He may troll from time to time and his hatred for Jose Abreu borderlines on personal, but you can tell he has a great moral compass.  Saying you want people like him to die out is pretty extreme and would be like saying you want 90% of the world wiped out.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• bmags locked this topic