2021 NHL Thread

soxfan49

https://theathletic.com/2939486/2021/11/06/lazerus-with-the-blackhawks-jeremy-colliton-never-stood-a-chance/

And let’s talk about the last two weeks. During the darkest moment in franchise history, with the appalling actions of so many Blackhawks mainstays laid bare for all the hockey world to see by Jenner & Block, who was left to be the face of everything? The head coach, who was a 25-year-old center in Sweden during the spring of 2010. Rocky Wirtz hasn’t talked to reporters. Danny Wirtz hasn’t talked to reporters. Davidson hasn’t talked to reporters. Bowman, Quenneville and Al MacIsaac certainly haven’t talked to reporters. But Colliton did. Every day, as the job requires. As the rest of the organization hid, abdicating their responsibilities to the public and the ticket-buying fans, they left it all on Colliton to handle.

The disturbing allegations of the report? Colliton had to answer for them. The dwindling crowds? Colliton had to speak on them. The relentless booing from the fans that did show up? Colliton had to address it. Colliton handled it well enough — he’s a smart, well-spoken, level-headed guy — but he never should have had to. It’s his job to defend his lineup decisions, not the state of a franchise is utter free fall.

“They just said, ‘Here, you handle all this,'” one team source said. “Just cowardly stuff.”

Expect nothing less from Rocky Wirtz.

• 2 weeks later...

Rape and racism are not popular in 2021. Who knew?

https://theathletic.com/2956621/2021/11/15/shapiro-nhl-attendance-after-one-month-shows-more-concern-but-some-decent-signs/

League / Nation headwinds

“They know what we know, they can’t sell those tickets anymore on the secondary market, there isn’t the demand anymore,” an NHL team president said. “So they don’t want to be left on the hook for tickets they aren’t going to use. In the long run, I think the full-season ticket holder will be a thing of the past, partially because of COVID.”

Chicago headwinds

Since 2008, Chicago had been one of the NHL’s biggest draws, and that trend even carried over last season when teams that did have partial attendance typically saw a bump in ticket sales when the Blackhawks would visit.

The Blackhawks have been a nightmare this season. From Chicago’s handling of the alleged sexual assault case involving former video coach Brad Aldrich to the play itself on the ice, it’s clearly been hard for fans in Chicago to support the team right now. On a pure numbers basis, the Blackhawks still draw because of playing in a larger building, but the drop from more than 21,000 fans per night to close to 18,000 is drastic at the United Center.

Rocky remaining and no more hockey on WGN will continue the downward trend.

Alec Baldwin and his fellow EPs have hired the same firm (Jenner Block) as the Wirtz family did to “investigate” what happened on their tragic film set.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/alec-baldwin-lawsuit-new-rust-fatal-shooting-mamie-mitchell-gloria-allred-1234876099/

Meanwhile, there was a solid interview with the attorney representing the two victims last week.

https://www.audacy.com/670thescore/podcasts/parkins-spiegel-show-63/attorney-susan-loggans-addresses-new-developments-in-case-against-blackhawks-936774314

From the interview:

“I can't believe the Wirtzes are this oblivious to what's happening, because how could anybody bury their head in the sand and be so unconcerned about real human beings?” Loggans said.

“They just don't get the gravity. It's like they're saying, 'Man up and just forget about it.’ Which is what was said to Kyle by the therapist they hired, if you want to call him that. That is exactly what they said. ‘So this happened to you. Just take it. It’s just part of life. It’s your fault. Just go on and don’t think about it again.’

“They're certainly not showing any empathy here."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering what are the range of options and what I feel is fair. 

Leagues have forced sales of teams before. I'd start with the end of ownership. I can't imagine anything less to repair the franchise. 

The amazing part of the Blackhawks is that Kane and Toews are still around and the team is as irrelevant as ever.  The scandal was the final blow but they were quickly sliding that way.

The careers of Kane and Toews are sadly going to end where they will put in as many years after winning as they did prior to and winning. 

Edited by Harry Chappas

13 hours ago, SoxAce said:

This organization is slowly turning back into a dumpster fire.

Yeah, might as well get rid of all the worthwhile pieces while you still have an interm GM. Would hate to let the guy you are waiting forever to hire make the decisions.  What a fall from grace the organ I zation  has had.

16 hours ago, SoxAce said:

This organization is slowly turning back into a dumpster fire.

If this franchise really wanted to go somewhere, they'd be looking to maximize a return for Toews and Kane and starting over.  Too much of their payroll is paying those two for years gone past.  They need to rebuild and now.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

If this franchise really wanted to go somewhere, they'd be looking to maximize a return for Toews and Kane and starting over.  Too much of their payroll is paying those two for years gone past.  They need to rebuild and now.

Completely agree. And if you're trading DeBrincat, you might as well trade everybody and literally start over. Why they won't listen on Kane for example is crazy to me (and yes I know how much he's meant to this franchise but his trade value may never be higher).

5 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Completely agree. And if you're trading DeBrincat, you might as well trade everybody and literally start over. Why they won't listen on Kane for example is crazy to me (and yes I know how much he's meant to this franchise but his trade value may never be higher).

I get it.  But if you keep Kane and Toews for sentimental reasons, you aren't going to be able to compete for a cup.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sincerely sorry to everyone for ever giving anyone involved with the Hawks during the Beach situation the benefit of the doubt. Garbage owner and garbage organization. I was on the fence for a while but this sealed it. I like hockey and I've already had my next team picked for a while because I was on the fence in case more info came out. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry Rocky, whatever sentimental feelings I had for the Hawks and their possible recovery just went down the tubes after watching you today.  I have never been more embarrassed for a Chicago team as I am now. The organization should be saying I'm sorry every time they get a chance. You don't get to decide when people can and can't talk about it. You are the guilty ones. The worst owners in sports.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Sorry Rocky, whatever sentimental feelings I had for the Hawks and their possible recovery just went down the tubes after watching you today.  I have never been more embarrassed for a Chicago team as I am now. The organization should be saying I'm sorry every time they get a chance. You don't get to decide when people can and can't talk about it. You are the guilty ones. The worst owners in sports.   

Rocky has one upped his father in terms of being a horrible owner. 

Bill's only flaw was being super cheap toward the end. Rocky is at a completely different level of awful. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

His answer makes me believe they aren't doing a damn thing to make certain it doesn't happen again and they wouldn't care if it did unless it was reported. If Bettman had any integrity he would denounce Rocky quickly.  

• Like 1

I sent an email to Bettman's official email account. I have no hope of him actually reading it but I'm hoping someone is reporting what is coming through. His (Rocky's) arrogance is just so infuriating. 

• Like 1

• bmags locked this topic