2021 NHL Thread

soxfan49

24 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Whatever Kane and Toews wanna do, I'll be in full support for. If they wanna stay and finish out their contract (or get traded at the deadline), fine. If they wanna leave, fine. They've earned that. Kane obviously has by far the most value out of those 3 so his decision is the most critical for this franchise.

I can careless what Seth wants but it would be nice if he says get me out of here.

I don't have as good of a read on the NHL as I did 18 months ago, but my sense is Seth doesn't have many options with that contract he signed....

13 minutes ago, Tony said:

I don't have as good of a read on the NHL as I did 18 months ago, but my sense is Seth doesn't have many options with that contract he signed....

You are correct, BUT he has a modified NTC (10 teams he can submit for a trade to) for I believe another 2 weeks until the full NMC kicks in. In other words, Hawks better hurry up and trade him. Klingberg is looking like he will test FA. Dallas was one of the teams that Seth put on his modified list originally. I would see if you can swing a deal there even if you have to retain salary to get that contract out. 

38 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

You are correct, BUT he has a modified NTC (10 teams he can submit for a trade to) for I believe another 2 weeks until the full NMC kicks in. In other words, Hawks better hurry up and trade him. Klingberg is looking like he will test FA. Dallas was one of the teams that Seth put on his modified list originally. I would see if you can swing a deal there even if you have to retain salary to get that contract out. 

My point is I don't think he has a market with that contract. It was a joke when Bowman did it, it looks even worse now. 

I have NO IDEA how that got approved when it did, especially with an investigation going on. It's incredible how poorly billion-dollar businesses are run. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

My point is I don't think he has a market with that contract. It was a joke when Bowman did it, it looks even worse now. 

If Brent Seabrook can get traded... Seth definitely can. I'll never question the stupidity of GMs in hockey.

On 7/8/2022 at 3:00 PM, SoxAce said:

If Brent Seabrook can get traded... Seth definitely can. I'll never question the stupidity of GMs in hockey.

It all about the salary cap. Why do you think Toronto traded Mrazek and a first round pick fir a second round pick?

They were desperate to move that salary even though it will leave them woth no signed goalies. They are going to use the room to yry to resign Campbell. 

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

It all about the salary cap. Why do you think Toronto traded Mrazek and a first round pick fir a second round pick?

They were desperate to move that salary even though it will leave them woth no signed goalies. They are going to use the room to yry to resign Campbell. 

Trust me I know more about hockey and the salary cap than you do. My point is I've seen big contracts like Seth come and go many times before. Maybe not the first year it kicks in, but by years 3-4-5, let's just say I'll be shocked if he's still a Blackhawk. Hell, Hawks moved Brian Campbell's albatross once upon a time.

4 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Trust me I know more about hockey and the salary cap than you do. My point is I've seen big contracts like Seth come and go many times before. Maybe not the first year it kicks in, but by years 3-4-5, let's just say I'll be shocked if he's still a Blackhawk. Hell, Hawks moved Brian Campbell's albatross once upon a time.

Well pardon me for trying g to help.

I don't agree that it's stupid for GMs to do this. With the tight salary cap on the NHL cap relief can be a very effective strategy. 

Edited by ptatc

I have enjoyed lurking. Always fascinating to see how teams try to build winners, so more fun to follow after changes in f.o. Won't have much to say because I kinda faded on hockey after realizing (much like soccer) I did not really know how to tell which players were good or bad (mainly defensively, easy to tell with points etc).

After what hawks fans went through last year, going back to just being a really, really bad team is probably easier to take. I've been a bit surprised how little the returns have been, and what kind of returns they targeted. 

How much value can you really get by using your cap space to grab bad contracts in hockey? Basketball always seems like it's not worth much (stealing 2nd round picks like 76ers did a lot), and baseball never seemed to get you as much as you expected (mid-level prospects).

Is it more effective in nhl?

47 minutes ago, bmags said:

I have enjoyed lurking. Always fascinating to see how teams try to build winners, so more fun to follow after changes in f.o. Won't have much to say because I kinda faded on hockey after realizing (much like soccer) I did not really know how to tell which players were good or bad (mainly defensively, easy to tell with points etc).

After what hawks fans went through last year, going back to just being a really, really bad team is probably easier to take. I've been a bit surprised how little the returns have been, and what kind of returns they targeted. 

How much value can you really get by using your cap space to grab bad contracts in hockey? Basketball always seems like it's not worth much (stealing 2nd round picks like 76ers did a lot), and baseball never seemed to get you as much as you expected (mid-level prospects).

With a hard cap in the NHL, you can really do some damage if you have the ability to take on cap room in a deal.  I mean the Hawks upgraded a second round pick to a late 1st round pick and took on a starting goalie just by having some room under the cap.

And yes, the Hawks have needed to sell for a while, but really did a poor job of it with the initial returns.  Hopefully these guys really know how to draft, because the levels of picks weren't good.

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

With a hard cap in the NHL, you can really do some damage if you have the ability to take on cap room in a deal.  I mean the Hawks upgraded a second round pick to a late 1st round pick and took on a starting goalie just by having some room under the cap.

And yes, the Hawks have needed to sell for a while, but really did a poor job of it with the initial returns.  Hopefully these guys really know how to draft, because the levels of picks weren't good.

See that isn't that impressive a return to me. Buying an entire first with it would have been a little more notable. 

4 hours ago, bmags said:

The problem is there are a few teams that are always so low and just up against the cap floor, there is "competition" sometimes to take on bad money, it's not a slam dunk like you might think it should be. 

However, I still contend something like the Seth Jones deal simply can't be moved, it's just too long of a deal right now. 

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

The problem is there are a few teams that are always so low and just up against the cap floor, there is "competition" sometimes to take on bad money, it's not a slam dunk like you might think it should be. 

However, I still contend something like the Seth Jones deal simply can't be moved, it's just too long of a deal right now. 

This makes a lot of sense. So it seems like at best you can continue to use it to grab an extra 2nd/3rd here and there.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

See that isn't that impressive a return to me. Buying an entire first with it would have been a little more notable. 

Getting a starting goalie plus moving up 15 slots into the first round?  Seems like a solid step up to me

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • bmags locked this topic