Tommy La Stella Emoji of a Target Discussion

bmags

32 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Man, I am so torn about Madrigal. The analytics guy in me knows getting Castillo, Gray, or Woodruff greatly enhances our chances of winning a world series over Madrigal. It squarely puts us in the Dodgers/Padres/Braves/Yankees category (probably above Yankees). I completely understand that Madrigal in today's game doesn't really add as much value as it would seem - HOWEVER god damnit i love madrigal. he's the everyday guy grinding, the small guy against the odds, slapping the ball around the field, playing old school. he just embodies the white sox and the south side. grinding out at-bats, putting the bat on the ball. he's a thousand cliches rolled into one fat cigar. and i like smoking that cigar and want to see him on the sox for the next 10 years. I want that feeling when he gets up with two outs and nobody on that the inning isn't over.. that he's going to be able to knock a single and turn that lineup over to anderson who can double him home or another single that leads to Moncada/Abreu/Eloy/Robert. There's just not another carbon copy of Madrigal out there. he's a special throwback guy and i want that on my team. 

That being said i get that mednick can pick up slack ... that lastella can do that too & our team is probably better with a rotation of Giolito, Keuchel, Gray, Lynn, Kopech, Cease and knowing that you have those guys at reasonable prices for a bit too. 

I'm torn as well. If he is the main piece in a deal for a front of the rotation type of arm with 3+ years of control, I probably pull the trigger. Especially since you can just sign LaStella.

But I also wouldn't hate keeping Madrigal, signing LaStella for a DH/1B/2B/3B role, giving Moncada some rest at DH once or twice a week, and then signing someone like Paxton, Kluber, Q, Walker for the 4th SP spot.

• Like 2

That would be my preferred route as well. Why risk trading Madrigal so early? (I guess the answer is maybe a full year of Madrigal results in his trade value being david ecktstein or something) Plus signing a Kluber/Q/Rich Hill/G. Richards/Paxton, etc. is affordable and allows you to see more of Kopech and Cease (plus Stiever) this year and see what you have there too. I'd rather sign a 1/2 year pitcher at $7-10mm and keep Madrigal. 

At least we can say we're to the part of the rebuild where we have tough decisions to make .... that's generally the point where you're a serious contender. At the end of the day you don't have to get them all right to win a WS ... the Eloy trade for the Cubs for example. But you just hope you make enough good ones and that the bad ones aren't too entirely lopsided when you look back 4-5 years from now.

5 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

That would be my preferred route as well. Why risk trading Madrigal so early? (I guess the answer is maybe a full year of Madrigal results in his trade value being david ecktstein or something) Plus signing a Kluber/Q/Rich Hill/G. Richards/Paxton, etc. is affordable and allows you to see more of Kopech and Cease (plus Stiever) this year and see what you have there too. I'd rather sign a 1/2 year pitcher at $7-10mm and keep Madrigal. 

At least we can say we're to the part of the rebuild where we have tough decisions to make .... that's generally the point where you're a serious contender. At the end of the day you don't have to get them all right to win a WS ... the Eloy trade for the Cubs for example. But you just hope you make enough good ones and that the bad ones aren't too entirely lopsided when you look back 4-5 years from now.

With you guys. We need to keep Madrigal AND sign La Stella otherwise we'd still be an IF short, even with Mendick.  I've been leaning away from La Stella as our LH DH but not anymore.  He's the perfect fit with his versatility.  Was looking for more pop at DH but he's got enough for this lineup and he's way too valuable when he's not DH'ing.  There's so many lineup options with him on the roster. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

With you guys. We need to keep Madrigal AND sign La Stella otherwise we'd still be an IF short, even with Mendick.  I've been leaning away from La Stella as our LH DH but not anymore.  He's the perfect fit with his versatility.  Was looking for more pop at DH but he's got enough for this lineup and he's way too valuable when he's not DH'ing.  There's so many lineup options with him on the roster. 

I think you are forgetting about Tim Beckham.

Question about Tim Beckham and his suspension: say he has a good spring training and you decide you may need him later in the season. Do you put him on the MLB team right away so he can serve the rest of his suspension right away and then someone else just takes his spot during suspension? I guess then when hes ready to come off, you'd probably have to open a spot on MLB roster for him, I guess by optioning Mendick fpr example. 

Edited by manbearpuig

4 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

oh yeah, right, minor league deal, not on current roster, thx.  

Still really like a La Stella signing and let Mendick and Beckham battle for the other spot.  As its been pointed out many times here that La Stella basically gives them an extra roster spot with his ability to provide 2 roles.  That can't be overstated.  And it finally sunk in for me.

19 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Question about Tim Beckham and his suspension: say he has a good spring training and you decide you may need him later in the season. Do you put him on the MLB team right away so he can serve the rest of his suspension right away and then someone else just takes his spot during suspension? I guess then when hes ready to come off, you'd probably have to open a spot on MLB roster for him, I guess by optioning Mendick fpr example. 

Oh forgot about that too.  Does he still have all 80 to serve?  

Edited by Rounding_Third

48 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

You would have to place him on the team immediately, right?  ...and get that suspension out of the way and increase his value.   If they don't sign La Stella or another IF, they have their 2 utility IF's.  If they sign another FA IF, have no IF injuries, and Beckham's out of options then they trade or release him. If he has option(s) left, got to send him down.  I would hope they wouldn't play that option game with Mendick to appease Beckham, assuming Mendick isn't struggling big time.