Blake Snell and Yu Darvish traded to San Diego

Sleepy Harold

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I think Snell tend to get overrated and this package is actually pretty right for him. If it was Gore instead of Patino, it would have been a serious overpay.

If you go by MLB prospect grades, Patino is 55, Wilcox 50, Hunt 45. For Sox it would have been similar to Crochet/Stiever/Collins/Rutherford for Snell. Wilcox might have more upside than Stiever so Padres might push for someone like Kelley instead. I'd do the former however.

Are you saying Collins = Meija?  IMO, Francisco has got to be significantly more valuable and that’s the problem. I think you’re Sox package is probably too light.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Eh....yeah. 

What would the Sox equivalent package be? Obviously Kopech=Patino, but idk if they could have matched that. 

Package is about like kopech or vaughn plus stiever.

Sox could have matched that of course but sox don't really need to do that due to the lynn move.

This is why I like the lynn move, might be a slight overpay but saves top prospects so kopech or cease have a year to emerge.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I think Snell tend to get overrated and this package is actually pretty right for him. If it was Gore instead of Patino, it would have been a serious overpay.

I agree with this. Of the rumored names (Castillo, Marquez, Snell, and Darvish) on the market for starting pitching I have the least faith in Snell over the next three years. Obviously Snell is going to get a bigger prospect return than Darvish since he's younger and costs basically half as much, but just for on field performance he's the one I wanted the Sox to trade for the least.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Are you saying Collins = Meija?  IMO, Francisco has got to be significantly more valuable and that’s the problem. I think you’re Sox package is probably too light.

The guy has been part of a major league roster for 4 years now and still haven't done much to show he's a starting catcher at the major leagues. He was projected to be the 3rd catcher for Padres before Campusano got busted for weed. He's living on laurels of his past prospect rankings, I don't think he has significantly more value than Collins.

Also as for the rest of the names, I was using MLB prospect grades as a comparison.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If Jerry is going to be cheap then he should run his team like the Rays. They're a model for all small market teams. 

Living within your means + Smart >>> Cheap + Greed + Avarice

Can you imagine if Jerry had to compete in the AL East like Tampa?  He would be wailing for 24 team playoffs, and be perfectly content waving carrots and "just missing out".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Mejia and Wilcox alone is an overpay. This almost makes the Lynn deal look sane. Not quite, but almost.

If they can extend Lynn for two years at a semi-reasonable rate I think we’ll like that price a lot more than what it would have cost us to add a Snell or Castillo.

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Living within your means + Smart >>> Cheap + Greed + Avarice

Can you imagine if Jerry had to compete in the AL East like Tampa?  He would be wailing for 24 team playoffs, and be perfectly content waving carrots and "just missing out".

We have to wait for him to take his permanent dirt nap before this gets fixed ala Wirtz.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

This should be like 75% of the value of the Sale deal and I think that it meets that threshold. 

This is close to the value of the Sale deal, and Snell is not worth that IMO. It's not as topheavy, but Patiño is a Top 10 prospect according to Fangraphs and got a taste of MLB at 21 last year, Mejia is the type of player the Rays always turn around in these types of deals (see: Austin Meadows), Cole Wilcox has a way to go, but definitely has TOR potential, and Blake Hunt could develop into a useful player. Like I said, not as topheavy, but has the potential for more impact, and IMO Snell isn't worth that much. The Rays will end up massively winning this deal like they always do, which is why you don't trade with the Rays.