Blake Snell and Yu Darvish traded to San Diego

Sleepy Harold

13 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I love AJ Preller.  Everyone in baseball is so scared to make moves and this guy gives zero fucks.  He just wants to improve his team and win.  Baseball needs more competitive guys like him.  

He’s done a great job but he deserved a worse punishment for the separate database fiasco or cappy deserved less.

• Thanks 1

The padres owner has cleared them to win.  Our owner is trying to figure out why he cant trade more international bonus money or find a fixer upper flawed free agent we can get on the cheap.  There has to be some diamond in the rough he can find.  Maybe more late 30 year olds, maybe a broken down pitcher who is coming back that no one wants.  Maybe someone who wants to live here or has no other options.  He righted his only wrong in life, now its time for his daily swim in his gold ala Scrooge McDuck. Remember smart business men go for second not first to keep the marks I mean customers hungry looking for more. 

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I call BS on this Crochet = Wilcox.  No prospect improved his value more than Garrett last year with his major league showing.  I think Kelley would be a more appropriate comp there.  And teams may be intrigued by Bailey, but I don’t see how he’s anywhere close to Hunt’s level.  I think Stiever is the closest thing we have to a guy that could be considered a borderline top 100 type and that’s if you buy into the 2019 version who had a ton of helium.

Similarly I'm calling bs, at least on some level, on Kopech = Patino because one of them has pitched in the last two years. 

Edited by mqr

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Yes, this package shows why sox weren't a great fit. They got 3 real prospects with a top 20 headliner and a reclamation guy. Regardless of thoughts on Collins, he's as much of a reclamation guy as Mejia with his inability to hit fastballs in MLB. Rays did well, as expected. 

Padres farm is a huge asset. Still with more to go. But sox with good development have potential to really build good depth for trade or roster by this time next year.

Collins has 120 career PA's. Calling him a reclamation project is the front runner for hottest take in the thread. 

8 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Collins has 120 career PA's. Calling him a reclamation project is the front runner for hottest take in the thread. 

It's more accurate to say Collins just isn't that good of a prospect. He and Mejia aren't in the same ballpark in terms of pedigree. 

• Like 1

It's not a matter of the Sox FO being unwilling to make trades to help the team now; heck they did it a few weeks ago for a 1 year player.
The problem is their inability to develop a rich and deep farm system that allows the team to make these trades.  To get 1 year of Lynn, they had to trade a pitcher out of their rotation.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

“ They didn’t need to beat out the White Sox this time, to land Snell, the 2018 AL Cy Young winner who is under contract for another three seasons. The South Siders bolstered their starting staff with a deal for Lance Lynn earlier this month. And while it’s indeed nicer to have four frontline pitchers than three, the White Sox seem confident in Dylan Cease and Michael Kopech at the back end of the rotation and that new pitching coach Ethan Katz can get them near the level of Lucas Giolito, Dallas Keuchel and Lynn, three top-seven finishers in the 2020 AL Cy Young vote.”

Lol I guess their second SP acquisition was Ethan Katz working with Cease and Kopech 

8 minutes ago, Orlando said:

“ They didn’t need to beat out the White Sox this time, to land Snell, the 2018 AL Cy Young winner who is under contract for another three seasons. The South Siders bolstered their starting staff with a deal for Lance Lynn earlier this month. And while it’s indeed nicer to have four frontline pitchers than three, the White Sox seem confident in Dylan Cease and Michael Kopech at the back end of the rotation and that new pitching coach Ethan Katz can get them near the level of Lucas Giolito, Dallas Keuchel and Lynn, three top-seven finishers in the 2020 AL Cy Young vote.”

Lol I guess their second SP acquisition was Ethan Katz working with Cease and Kopech 

I am fine with this.  Ideally those are the end of the season, ehading into the playoffs rotation.  A Quintana signing would be a great bridge.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Orlando said:

It's a bit risky for sure, but if even one of them approaches what they can be, they'll be so much better off for giving it a shot. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

It's a bit risky for sure, but if even one of them approaches what they can be, they'll be so much better off for giving it a shot. 

Why not bring back Quintana for a year as an insurance policy? We can’t bank on Cease and/or Kopech becoming good pitchers in 2021 as of now for various reasons.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

The advantage I have is I’ve actually watched Sox baseball in the last two years

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

They will....and I think I’m already sick of hearing “Katz will fix ‘em”

It's a different take though. He is using science, analytics and real observation...not just have him throw a cutter. 

The Padres and the White Sox were already on the path to potentially be the best two teams in baseball for the next 5 years anyways...now we may just find out the answer of should you be overly aggressive and trade away everyone to win, or should you win with your youth. I am not a Cease fan at all...but If Katz really has a fixable change that science backs up...it is better than any overpay could ever be...and allows the sox to lock up Giolito. I have FULL faith that Kopech is going to be nasty and a #2 pitcher in this league...the Sox just need the bridge to get to him - Kluber would be my guy...you can always trade him at deadline if he looks solid, or if Cease implodes he takes his spot. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

It's a different take though. He is using science, analytics and real observation...not just have him throw a cutter. 

The Padres and the White Sox were already on the path to potentially be the best two teams in baseball for the next 5 years anyways...now we may just find out the answer of should you be overly aggressive and trade away everyone to win, or should you win with your youth. I am not a Cease fan at all...but If Katz really has a fixable change that science backs up...it is better than any overpay could ever be...and allows the sox to lock up Giolito. I have FULL faith that Kopech is going to be nasty and a #2 pitcher in this league...the Sox just need the bridge to get to him - Kluber would be my guy...you can always trade him at deadline if he looks solid, or if Cease implodes he takes his spot. 

I like the Kluber idea just to get that guy’s brain in the dugout with all these young guys.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

The Padres have not traded away everyone.  They have held onto the guys they feel will be impact big leaguers.  Gore, Abrams, Campusano, Head, Weathers, and Hassell are still there.  The Padres are very good at self scouting and are not afraid to trade the guys they feel will not help them at the big league level.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

Honestly, I'm just glad this closes the door on Darvish to the Padres, thus leaving the Cubs still in financial hell.

I wouldn't be happy about this personally, especially once Darvish goes to the Twins and we have to face him 4x per year

16 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The Padres have not traded away everyone.  They have held onto the guys they feel will be impact big leaguers.  Gore, Abrams, Campusano, Head, Weathers, and Hassell are still there.  The Padres are very good at self scouting and are not afraid to trade the guys they feel will not help them at the big league level.   

they definitely  had the advantage of a VERY deep farm system for being awful for a decade. It wouldn't surprise me if they make one more trade honestly. they are a force now in the way of the Sox winning it all for years. Clevinger backfired in a big way...but that trade was just quantity anyways. This one has some decent quality and SD will not have any depth or reinforcements coming if they make any other trades. I applaud them though for going for it. it's refreshing. I honestly didn't want to lose Kopech & Crochet, but everyone else is fine. If Lynn signs an extension...I am very much happier with 3 years of Lynn for dunning vs 3 years of Snell with gutting any talent left. 

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Mejia is a lousy defender but has a rocket arm, think of him a bit like Miguel Olivo at this point.

But equating his value with Collins is borderline ridiculous.

51 minutes ago, bmags said:

The advantage I have is I’ve actually watched Sox baseball in the last two years

Collins is more like Avery Weens in terms of trade value than he is Meija.

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/teams/521/

Meija 3.6 + 0.3 = Collins 2.1 + Weems 1.8

Edited by South Side Hit Men