Blake Snell and Yu Darvish traded to San Diego

Sleepy Harold

7 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Collins is more like Avery Weens in terms of trade value than he is Meija.

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/teams/521/

Meija 3.6 + 0.3 = Collins 2.1 + Weems 1.8

Probably true. I don’t think Mejia is a throw in, but I don’t think he’s in the top three reasons the rays made that trade. So even if Sox fans start with Kopech+ Collins it’s the latter two prospects that made the Padres a much better fit than the Sox. We don’t have names in our 9-15 range that are going to pull much value. Maybe next year though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

I mean, he better be taking a big discount at the rate they're spending:

They are far from the lux tax, and that’s the only real spending limit in baseball. Who says their ownership won’t play near there?

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

They are far from the lux tax, and that’s the only real spending limit in baseball. Who says their ownership won’t play near there?

Just looked up their salaries and I guess I figured more of their vets were on contracts (i.e. not pre-arb/arbitration). 

10 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I called it that they would probably do one more move! In all honesty though...The White Sox need to be ALL over the Rockies and D-Backs rosters. Marquez, Gallen - try and steal anyone you can because those teams have ZERO chance the next 3-4 years. 

Don't forget the Reds.

Must be nice to have ownership that's actually interested in winning championships. 

I realize they're trading a lot of the farm to do this, but the Padres system is super deep and if they can get these guys without trading Gore, that's huge. And they have a decent young-ish core in Tatis, Lamet and Machado, who is only 28. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Must be nice to have ownership interested in winning championships. 

I realize they're trading a lot of the farm to do this, but the Padres system is super deep and if they can get these guys without trading Gore, that's huge. And they have a decent young-ish core in Tatis, Lamet and Machado, who is only 28. 

That's what is so sad about this. The Sox will still be a lot of fun to watch, but management is more interested in profit than blowing teams out of the water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will be interesting to see what Darvish brings in trade. Among all the 'gettable' pitcher names who have been bantered about, he is the guy I'd want. Notwithstanding the Cubs-Sox dynamic, we shouldn't sit back and let Padres or anyone else acquire him without a fight. Maybe the Padres have some bullets left in the chamber but their prospect capital at this point can't be that much stronger than ours.

1 minute ago, Flash said:

Will be interesting to see what Darvish brings in trade. Among all the 'gettable' pitcher names who have been bantered about, he is the guy I'd want. Notwithstanding the Cubs-Sox dynamic, we shouldn't sit back and let Padres or anyone else acquire him without a fight. Maybe the Padres have some bullets left in the chamber but their prospect capital at this point can't be that much stronger than ours.

Sox don't have a Gore, but that would be insane to give for Darvish imo