Blake Snell and Yu Darvish traded to San Diego

Sleepy Harold

20 minutes ago, Tony said:

Yes, that’s exactly what I said. 

I did not mean for it to seem that way.  I was agreeing with you and expounding on how every move made in baseball now seems to directly impact how the White Sox work and is a direct result of JR running the team.

If the Padres get Darvish and it liquidates their farm they have a two to three year window tops.

I am fine with Lynn and the farm v Snell/Darvish and no farm

• Like 1

Just now, Harry Chappas said:

I did not mean for it to seem that way.  I was agreeing with you and expounding on how every move made in baseball now seems to directly impact how the White Sox work and is a direct result of JR running the team.

If the Padres get Darvish and it liquidates their farm they have a two to three year window tops.

Agreed. 

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Unless Jerry finally decides to spend, no.

Maybe I am ignorant but I do not think that JR is a puppet master of this organization.  I think he sets a budget and that is it.  

I do think he has a say on major moves and is involved in conversations but isn't directing the dumpster diving and bringing in the Friends of Manny.

I also believe that while he may have pushed for TRL hard Hahn and Williams had to buy into it.  They may not have liked it but I think they would have pushed back harder if they were against it as much as this board feels they were. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Padres will still have a better farm system than the Sox after these trades.

We are approaching this offseason in the same method that we have approached a bunch of other offseasons.  This is not a new strategy.  Hell 4 years ago we might of done the same exact thing.  

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

Maybe I am ignorant but I do not think that JR is a puppet master of this organization.  I think he sets a budget and that is it.  

I do think he has a say on major moves and is involved in conversations but isn't directing the dumpster diving and bringing in the Friends of Manny.

I also believe that while he may have pushed for TRL hard Hahn and Williams had to buy into it.  They may not have liked it but I think they would have pushed back harder if they were against it as much as this board feels they were. 

If that was the case TLR is at home and not running this team.  There is no way that the description of the replacement for Renteria fits TLR.  

• Like 1

The fact that Hahn said that he had a whole interview list that never got to once Jerry latched on to Tony shows otherwise.  I don't know that he gets involved in everything, but JR does get what he wants when he does want something,  That much is clear.  We have other instances in this teams history, such as the contracts which were directly negotiated by Jerry.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Alright Harry, you’re back on my nice list :) 

Just now, southsideirish71 said:

If that was the case TLR is at home and not running this team.  There is no way that the description of the replacement for Renteria fits TLR.  

How so...wasn't he part of the Red Sox front office when they won the world series.  After reading the Peter Gammons athletic story I am more of the mindset that this wasn't just JR forcing him on Hahn and Williams.  In the social justice world Gammons is rather liberal so was interested in his take. 

5 minutes ago, Baron said:

I like what the Sox have done as far as the pitcher they've acquired. RF is a different story. 

I'm not super convinced giving Springer the bag is a great idea, so given that I've talked myself into Eaton being the better option than Brantley or Joc. 

I'll probably end up being wrong on the Springer bit though.

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I honestly don't know if Giolito is interested in an extension. 

I think he would be. Obviously not a super cheap one (like 5/45 or so) but at a decent price he should want to do it because he still has some years to go to free agency and could get hurt.

Offer him some semi Team friendly extension like 7/110 and he might be willing to take it

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The fact that Hahn said that he had a whole interview list that never got to once Jerry latched on to Tony shows otherwise.  I don't know that he gets involved in everything, but JR does get what he wants when he does want something,  That much is clear.  We have other instances in this teams history, such as the contracts which were directly negotiated by Jerry.

I fully believe that Tony was not on any list until JR put him on the list.  If TLR is then on the list he gets the job as there is nothing in an interview that would lead you away from him.

TLR checks all the boxes (maybe not the socially acceptable one's) for winning baseball games.   If it is between he and Hinch I am not sure Hinch is the better hire.  If the hire is someone without experience the narrative is that they are going on the cheap.  I am not certain what TLR is making but my guess is it is not cheap.  

In my little rose colored glasses world, Hahn buys in knowing this is a three year run and there are worse options than Tony and certain some with more risk of failure.  

• Haha 1

I fully believe that Tony was not on any list until JR put him on the list.  If TLR is then on the list he gets the job as there is nothing in an interview that would lead you away from him.

TLR checks all the boxes (maybe not the socially acceptable one's) for winning baseball games.   If it is between he and Hinch I am not sure Hinch is the better hire.  If the hire is someone without experience the narrative is that they are going on the cheap.  I am not certain what TLR is making but my guess is it is not cheap.  

In my little rose colored glasses world, Hahn buys in knowing this is a three year run and there are worse options than Tony and certain some with more risk of failure.  

If he buys in and this is a 3 year run.  Are we acting like its a 3 year run.  Why is Adam Eaton our RF if this is a 3 year run?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Can’t wait for Padres to turn around and sign Hendriks

The bullpen will be their next focus after they lock up the Darvish trade.  

I am having flashbacks to Kenny talking about how other teams free agent signings put them on a better path to compete with us.  

5 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I absolutely agree with that.  It is obvious that Hahn had his eye set on Hinch, and from the reactions of the players, had already pitched them on the idea.  JR 100% overruled that.  But that only supports that idea that JR interfered here to create the situation HE wanted, and not the one the front office wanted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

If he buys in and this is a 3 year run.  Are we acting like its a 3 year run.  Why is Adam Eaton our RF if this is a 3 year run?  

With LaRussa it is a three year run.

Eaton is a filler and hopefully when said and done a bench piece.  Eaton was signed to a one year deal for nothing.  He is filling a minor role as a platoon RF that can hit RHH which is needed. 

Just now, southsideirish71 said:

The bullpen will be their next focus after they lock up the Darvish trade.  

I am having flashbacks to Kenny talking about how other teams free agent signings put them on a better path to compete with us.  

Yep and if rumors are true the Dodgers want Hendriks, then the bidding war between those two teams will be intense.

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

With LaRussa it is a three year run.

Eaton is a filler and hopefully when said and done a bench piece.  Eaton was signed to a one year deal for nothing.  He is filling a minor role as a platoon RF that can hit RHH which is needed. 

Why is Larussa here?  Is he here to run a course or to win championships.  Rick Hahn said we are now in our championship window.  Adam Eaton is not a championship RF.  Championship teams dont fill their RF with platoon players as a major acquisition.  

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

You and I almost always agree on everything but what is the Sox window right now?  If we lose our best pitcher in 3 years what happens at that point?  SD is aggressive and sure it might not result in anything but the Sox are just going to sit back and watch this window pass them by because they’re scared to take a risk.  

It’s a very fair question and I’m not saying the Sox shouldn’t move all their chips in at some point. I’ve said it before when it comes to the Bears, I actually respect Pace going all-in on Mitch, and saying “This is my guy, and I’m letting everyone know it.” Terrible execution and I believe he should be fired for that mistake, but I at least can respect the willingness to be aggressive. 

Now in terms of the Sox...1. As others have mentioned, I’ll be shocked if the Sox don’t figure out a way to lock up Gio. If they don’t, shame on them. 2. If they are “done” with moves this off-season and this is the 2021 squad, then once again, shame on them. I believe they need another SP, a CL and another bat somewhere. I will be disappointed if another SP and CL aren’t brought in. 3. Thinking bigger picture....when you go “all-in” that means you are no longer hedging your bet, you no longer have any “safety net” under you. For the Sox, those safety nets are Andrew Vaughn, Michael Kopech, Madrigal to some extent, and a few others. Given where the Sox are what we we believe they can be...I honestly don’t know what I want them to do. I could be convinced either way. I always stand by the principle that there isn’t an untouchable player in sports, so if Vaughn and Kopech get traded for an ace, so be it. Win and I’m happy. But I think with this core, and the somewhat unique situation Hahn has put them contractually with long-term deals....I also see the side of having those prospect “waves” make impacts with the team over the next 5-7 years. 

That was a long, rambling was of saying I really don’t know what the Sox should do, but going “all-in” when the window opens isn’t always the right call.  The good news is we all get to find out together over the next 4-5 years 

• Thanks 1