Blake Snell and Yu Darvish traded to San Diego

Sleepy Harold

Wow.

When I read about the Snell trade to the Padres last night I thought to myself how the Padres always seem to 'beat' us or one-up us when it comes to acquistions, whether its the trade deadline (Clevinger) or Offseason moves (Machado obviously) and now this year (Snell). It made me sad, but the haul they gave up for Snell made it even.

Now they get Darvish?

OH, and also the sensation Kim for 2b?

This is how you run a team. Padres should be applauded 100%. It just shows how shit our front office has been :(. We can NEVER get a star. Just like the Bulls. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Well I think they priced themselves out of a closer.  So we will find a fixer upper guy.  We have done this before.  Same for a starter.  Looking for that diamond in the rough.

I’m hoping for Yates.  Absolutely don’t want Archie Bradley.

How does winning a horseshit division with one other team attempting to field a competitive team equate to being in a "multi-championship window"?

There are only a half dozen teams actually working to field a championship team in 2021. The White Sox are a few significant moves away to be discussed among them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

Or the White Sox really believe in their young group of pitchers in Kopech, Thompson, Dalquist, Kelley, Crochet... and they believe they know what they have and want 7 years of control with those pitchers, rather than moving those pitchers for 3 years of control. In that sense, maybe the White Sox are the ones looking for 7-8 years of success instead of the Padres that are trading a ton of young talent for 2-3 years of Clevinger and Snell. Padres don't have nearly the offensive talent that the Sox do with Eloy, Robert, Moncada, Vaughn, Madrigal, TA and now that the Padres are moving their young pitching talent, their window is right now, and doesn't look like it can sustain for more than 3 years. Machado is getting older, Hosmer/Myers are already past their prime, so their only offensive talent that is young is Tatis. I'd take the White Sox team as constructed right now over the Padres. 100%. Giolito, Lynn, Keuchel, Kopech, Cease, Crochet WITH OUR OFFENSE over Snell, Darvish, Lamet, Paddack, Gore and their Offense (Machado/Tatis)

Absolutely.  100% this.  It’s not even close if you ask me.   Sox fans are about to be really happy

3 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

Or the White Sox really believe in their young group of pitchers in Kopech, Thompson, Dalquist, Kelley, Crochet... and they believe they know what they have and want 7 years of control with those pitchers, rather than moving those pitchers for 3 years of control. In that sense, maybe the White Sox are the ones looking for 7-8 years of success instead of the Padres that are trading a ton of young talent for 2-3 years of Clevinger and Snell. Padres don't have nearly the offensive talent that the Sox do with Eloy, Robert, Moncada, Vaughn, Madrigal, TA and now that the Padres are moving their young pitching talent, their window is right now, and doesn't look like it can sustain for more than 3 years. Machado is getting older, Hosmer/Myers are already past their prime, so their only offensive talent that is young is Tatis. I'd take the White Sox team as constructed right now over the Padres. 100%. Giolito, Lynn, Keuchel, Kopech, Cease, Crochet WITH OUR OFFENSE over Snell, Darvish, Lamet, Paddack, Gore and their Offense (Machado/Tatis)

The Padres STILL have more talent on the way than the Sox do, as the Sox have a very limited farm system after about half a dozen top level guys, They aren't just constructed for today, they have big things still on the way .

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Wow.

When I read about the Snell trade to the Padres last night I thought to myself how the Padres always seem to 'beat' us or one-up us when it comes to acquistions, whether its the trade deadline (Clevinger) or Offseason moves (Machado obviously) and now this year (Snell). It made me sad, but the haul they gave up for Snell made it even.

Now they get Darvish?

This is how you run a team. Padres should be applauded 100%. It just shows how shit our front office has been :(. We can NEVER get a star. Just like the Bulls. 

What about the time the Padres traded all of their players for Kimbrel, Upton, etc... within' a year they were rebuilding and lost Trea Turner in the process. They aren't without fail. Yes, these moves look great. But so did Melky Cabrera, David Robertson, etc.... how did that turn out? 

The Sox have won the offseason before and it didn't amount to much. Snell has issues, he's not a perennial cy young guy. He's absolutely better than they had, or we have, but he's not a guarantee. He hasn't exactly lit up the numbers his entire career. Let's dial back the hostility towards the Sox because other franchises are willing to make moves that maybe we don't have the right capital to make. Maybe Tampa doesn't like Kopech and they wanted Patino instead. It doesn't mean the Sox didn't try or aren't trying. Damn! 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

Their team scored more runs than ours last year.  We hit one more home run than they did.  We play in a bandbox they play in a pitchers park.  So I think you underestimate their offense a bit.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

But we don’t know how they finish things off.  By all means, be pissed it they don’t do anything else. I’m sure there will be a meltdown when the Twins trade for Musgrove and bring back Cruz.

The Sox style isn't to make late moves.  I sure don't expect them to sign anyone else big, outside of maybe a closer,

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Wow.

Now they get Darvish?

True superstars aren’t going to want to come here if they feel like JR won’t pay for other players they’ll need to help them win. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox style isn't to make late moves.  I sure don't expect them to sign anyone else big, outside of maybe a closer,

Lately they pounce early to avoid a bidding war.  I don't see a lot of late moves for premium talent later in the offseason for the sox.  

The Padres STILL have more talent on the way than the Sox do, as the Sox have a very limited farm system after about half a dozen top level guys, They aren't just constructed for today, they have big things still on the way .

Wrong, they do NOT! 

Gore - legitimate superstar potential - You could argue Kopech has the potential to be a true ACE too, AND Crochet

Abrams - looks to be a legitimate prospect. Low power, high average (sounds like Madrigal?)

Campusano - again looks to be good, Sox don't really have a match here

Hassell, Weathers, Marcano, Lawson compared to Vaughn, Thompson, Kelley, Dalquist, Cespedes

No way that the Padres have more talent on the way than the Sox do. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, TheCommish said:

Wrong, they do NOT! 

Gore - legitimate superstar potential - You could argue Kopech has the potential to be a true ACE too, AND Crochet

Abrams - looks to be a legitimate prospect. Low power, high average (sounds like Madrigal?)

Campusano - again looks to be good, Sox don't really have a match here

Hassell, Weathers, Marcano, Lawson compared to Vaughn, Thompson, Kelley, Dalquist, Cespedes

No way that the Padres have more talent on the way than the Sox do. 

No offense, but there isn't a major publication who feels the Sox farm system is better than San Diego.  I think I am going to go with the professionals here over a random internet poster.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Their team scored more runs than ours last year.  We hit one more home run than they did.  We play in a bandbox they play in a pitchers park.  So I think you underestimate their offense a bit.  

They also played in a division that had 3 teams under .500 and against the AL West that had 4 teams under .500. The Sox played against the Central that sent 7 teams to the playoffs. Come at me with more than that! 

1 hour ago, southsideirish71 said:

Why is Larussa here?  Is he here to run a course or to win championships.  Rick Hahn said we are now in our championship window.  Adam Eaton is not a championship RF.  Championship teams dont fill their RF with platoon players as a major acquisition.  

Did you see his World Series highlights? 

No offense, but there isn't a major publication who feels the Sox farm system is better than San Diego.  I think I am going to go with the professionals here over a random internet poster.

With Patino out of the mix and potentially Campusano... the depth of the Sox top 10 is better. And we have just as many high ranking guys in Vaughn, Kopech, Madrigal. It's not that far off. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheCommish said:

With Patino out of the mix and potentially Campusano... the depth of the Sox top 10 is better. And we have just as many high ranking guys in Vaughn, Kopech, Madrigal. It's not that far off. 

The Sox have a great top 5, with a few who will graduate very shortly.  The Padres have a great top 5, and the best top 20 in baseball.  The difference is once you get past the top of the Sox list, the rest of the Sox farm system is very mediocre at best.  The Padres system is levels better than the White sox.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox have a great top 5, with a few who will graduate very shortly.  The Padres have a great top 5, and the best top 20 in baseball.  The difference is once you get past the top of the Sox list, the rest of the Sox farm system is very mediocre at best.  The Padres system is levels better than the White sox.

Give them a minute

1 hour ago, mqr said:

I really don't see why Joc would be any better an acquisition than Eaton. 

Or at least so substantially so that it's worth being upset over. 

Because Joc can actually be a high-end hitter against RHP (wRC+ of like 135 from 2018 to 2019), which is a major need for us.  He’s also substantially younger and less injury prone than Adam, which makes it far more likely he’s useful in 2021.  I can’t wait until next year when Eloy & Eaton miss a stretch of time and we’re starting Leury & Engel in the corners.  Maybe we get lucky and Eaton doesn’t get hurt or regress any further, but even in that case we’re likely looking at a 2 win OF given how much his defense has eroded in recent years.  There is just no upside in Eaton and too much shit can go wrong with the core pieces of our lineup to bring in a floor type guy in our last major hole.

• Like 2