Blake Snell and Yu Darvish traded to San Diego

Sleepy Harold

7 hours ago, Greek-konerko said:

Irrelevant but i wabted to wish u all my fellow sox fans hapoy bew year with heslth to everyone of u and your families, unfortunately 2020 closes for me bad csuse today new years rve i diagnosed with lung cancer,hapoy new year!!!!

Wow.  That's tough news.  Good luck.  Prayers up for you and your family.

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

It’s risky for Hoyer in the sense that Cubs’ fans are likely going to get very impatient when they’re a Top 3-5 MLB franchise but are acting like the TB Rays.

If you trade Bryant/Baez/Contreras and then Kimbrel for half his salary...that leaves fans with just Rizzo and Hendricks to cheer for.

I see the Cubs operating more like the Pirates (just dump, no concern for return) than Tampa (maximize talent return), at least with the first two moves (dump Schwarber and Darvish/Carantini for little to nothing).

The Cubs (or Sox) are not counting on many games or fans in 2021, and 2022 (perhaps beyond) is up in the air due with the CBA.

0477AB29-E6CD-413D-A704-677569E68CA3.jpeg

73CEF85E-9C69-4C2F-9A74-30247F8AF4F8.jpeg

Will the Padres now be referred to here as “the team which shall not be named”?

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I see the Cubs operating more like the Pirates (just dump, no concern for return) than Tampa (maximize talent return), at least with the first two moves (dump Schwarber and Darvish/Carantini for little to nothing).

The Cubs (or Sox) are not counting on many games or fans in 2021, and 2022 (perhaps beyond) is up in the air due with the CBA.

0477AB29-E6CD-413D-A704-677569E68CA3.jpeg

73CEF85E-9C69-4C2F-9A74-30247F8AF4F8.jpeg

Will the Padres now be referred to here as “the team which shall not be named”?

No. All 3 of those pitchers have legitimate injury concerns. It's likely that at least one gets injured. For all the praise they have gotten, they have a very volatile starting rotation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, ron883 said:

No. All 3 of those pitchers have legitimate injury concerns. It's likely that at least one gets injured. For all the praise they have gotten, they have a very volatile starting rotation.

Child, please.

The White Sox, and any sane fan would want any of these three pitchers. The Darvish/Caratini trade would have filled two holes for little in prospect value. Snell required a higher prospect quality, but not their top guys. They are also under control for years.

Every pitcher on the planet is a potential injury risk.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Child, please.

The White Sox, and any sane fan would want any of these three pitchers. The Darvish/Caratini trade would have filled two holes for little in prospect value. Snell required a higher prospect quality, but not their top guys. They are also under control for years.

Also importantly, Caratini has a great partnership with Darvish and in the 98th percentile for framing.

SD has undertaken a big change from Hedges/Mejia to Nola/Caratini, and it has made their offense even tougher...where there are no longer any easy sections of the lineup to negotiate.

In the end, though, starting pitching is the one area that takes on outsized importance in the playoffs.  If you look at variability in that rotation, Paddack with much less pressure on his shoulders could easily take another step forward.   When you can roll out the best starting pitching prospect in Gore at #5, you’re in pretty good position.   They have five starters along with Clevinger capable of finishing Top 5-10 in NL Cy Young balloting over the next 2-3 years.  That’s not even considering Morejon and Weathers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Child, please.

I'll be sure to quote this post next year when the White Sox rotation is superior to the Padres. You have been warned. 

you-just-made-the-list.jpg

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

You mean 4, if you include Clevinger... 

Isnt clevinger out for the year?

But otherwise they certainly have a good rotation and really any rotation is volatile and injury prone, pitchers just get hurt, let the yankees lose cole or the sox lose giolito and they miss the playoffs too (unless they make a big trade including two of their top 4 prospects).

This could happen to the padres but to any other team too.

4 hours ago, ron883 said:

I'll be sure to quote this post next year when the White Sox rotation is superior to the Padres. You have been warned. 

you-just-made-the-list.jpg

Just be sure to quote the whole post accurately, not likely since you already distorted my posts in your reply.

Mod edit: y’all need to stop needlessly bringing politics into this forum.

In either event, I hope you, the White Sox and Padres have a successful and happy new year.

4 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Isnt clevinger out for the year?

But otherwise they certainly have a good rotation and really any rotation is volatile and injury prone, pitchers just get hurt, let the yankees lose cole or the sox lose giolito and they miss the playoffs too (unless they make a big trade including two of their top 4 prospects).

This could happen to the padres but to any other team too.

Pitchers with an injury history are more likely to sustain another injury though.  

On 12/31/2020 at 1:42 PM, Greek-konerko said:

Irrelevant but i wabted to wish u all my fellow sox fans hapoy bew year with heslth to everyone of u and your families, unfortunately 2020 closes for me bad csuse today new years rve i diagnosed with lung cancer,hapoy new year!!!!

Good luck with your treatment

• Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 2:42 PM, Greek-konerko said:

A good reminder that there are more important things in life than baseball.  My best wishes for your full recovery.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Pitchers with an injury history are more likely to sustain another injury though.  

Almost every pitcher has an injury history though.

I mean just looking at the sox giolito, cease, kopech and lynn all had TJ.

Which team doesn't have at least two starters who had TJ?

Edited by Dominikk85
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Almost every pitcher has an injury history though.

I mean just looking at the sox giolito, cease, kopech and lynn all had TJ.

Which team doesn't have at least two starters who had TJ?

UCL reconstructions pretty much take care of themselves. Its more the muscle, tendon and capsule injuries that are more worrisome.  Its the extent of the injury and the healing that makes the difference. 

On 1/1/2021 at 2:35 AM, South Side Hit Men said:

The White Sox, and any sane fan would want any of these three pitchers.

Darvish is 34 years old and has about 59 Million left on his contract. He is no different then other pitchers that are injury prone except he is older and more expensive than most. So I would not want him for that price. Neither did Ricketts.

29 minutes ago, tray said:

Darvish is 34 years old and has about 59 Million left on his contract. He is no different then other pitchers that are injury prone except he is older and more expensive than most. So I would not want him for that price. Neither did Ricketts.

Ricketts also doesn't want Schwarber at $7M, doesn't want Bryant ($18.6M) and Contreras ($6.3M), and would love to dump anyone else over $2M if he could get rid of them.

Nobody on Earth wanted the Statue of Apathy, Grandal (32 years old) @ $73M. Anyone else bid on $74M for another old guy, Mr. Teacher? He's 33 years old, by the way, and got hammered by the 16th in MLB run scoring A's in Game 2.

Darvish is a legitimate 1 or 2,  Keuchel is a 3 or 4, who is making $56M over the same 3 years remaining. Nobody in their right mind would trade Darvish for Keuchel. That's why Darvish has a $16.9M trade value (estimated earned value above and beyond his contract), whereas Keuchel and Grandal have negative trade values, at ($7.5M) & ($0.9M), respectively. Yu Darvish is far superior to Dallas Keuchel, for $1M per year more. Nice try though.

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trade-simulator/

Edited by South Side Hit Men

i wanted to wish u all my fellow sox fans happy new year with health to everyone of u and your families, unfortunately 2020 closes for me bad ...

Hang in there  G man and stay strong. 

• Like 1

Prayers brother.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yu Darvish is far superior to Dallas Keuchel, for $1M per year more. Nice try though.

Stats don't tell the whole story about these players. There is a lot more to player and trade evaluation, as you know. 

If Darvish  goes on the DL for an extended time or has another year like he had in 2018,  Ricketts and Hoyer will feel vindicated for that trade, even though they may have gotten zilcho (other than debt relief)  in return.   You just never know but age is something that is always  major factor for major league players. 

Of course, I am one that did not like trading Dunning . It is not that I did not want starting pitching depth. Rather, I just didn't want to trade Dunning to get it.

Edited by tray