Blake Snell and Yu Darvish traded to San Diego

Sleepy Harold

7 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

What about the time the Padres traded all of their players for Kimbrel, Upton, etc... within' a year they were rebuilding and lost Trea Turner in the process. They aren't without fail. Yes, these moves look great. But so did Melky Cabrera, David Robertson, etc.... how did that turn out? 

The Sox have won the offseason before and it didn't amount to much. Snell has issues, he's not a perennial cy young guy. He's absolutely better than they had, or we have, but he's not a guarantee. He hasn't exactly lit up the numbers his entire career. Let's dial back the hostility towards the Sox because other franchises are willing to make moves that maybe we don't have the right capital to make. Maybe Tampa doesn't like Kopech and they wanted Patino instead. It doesn't mean the Sox didn't try or aren't trying. Damn! 

When did the Sox win the offseason? Because I don't remember ever feeling like they won it. I remember last year I felt decent with the signing of Grandal, but hated Keuchel/Mazaraa (Keuchel so far has been good, but I feel he regresses HARD this year). 

In 2018 it was the worst of all time offseasons.

As a fan, I just ONCE want to get a star. This organization has shown time and time again that they play the middle ground everywhere. They'll sign the Adam Eaton who we all know will probably suck and be a complete waste. They miss out on Wheeler and sign the meh Keuchel. 

This offseason, they traded for Lynn who has shown signs of decline recently and honestly, I don't have a whole lot of confidence in him, instead of trading for a big dog like Snell or Darvish or Castillo. 

They won't sign Springer or Bauer (although I wouldn't really want Springer). 

They don't sign in bulk (meaning they wont take 2 or 3 pretty good OFers like a Schwarber/Pederson/Dahl types). 

I just hate how they operate. The only thing good they do is acquire cubans.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Because Joc can actually be a high-end hitter against RHP (wRC+ of like 135 from 2018 to 2019), which is a major need for us.  He’s also substantially younger and less injury prone than Adam, which makes it far more likely he’s useful in 2021.  I can’t wait until next year when Eloy & Eaton miss a stretch of time and we’re starting Leury & Engel in the corners.  Maybe we get lucky and Eaton doesn’t get hurt or regress any further, but even in that case we’re likely looking at a 2 win OF given how much his defense has eroded in recent years.  There is just no upside in Eaton and too much shit can go wrong with the core pieces of our lineup to bring in a floor type guy in our last major hole.

Well said....they really need to add LaStella or Schwarber.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Because Joc can actually be a high-end hitter against RHP (wRC+ of like 135 from 2018 to 2019), which is a major need for us.  He’s also substantially younger and less injury prone than Adam, which makes it far more likely he’s useful in 2021.  I can’t wait until next year when Eloy & Eaton miss a stretch of time and we’re starting Leury & Engel in the corners.  Maybe we get lucky and Eaton doesn’t get hurt or regress any further, but even in that case we’re likely looking at a 2 win OF given how much his defense has eroded in recent years.  There is just no upside in Eaton and too much shit can go wrong with the core pieces of our lineup to bring in a floor type guy in our last major hole.

Yeah I'm so pissed and frustrated about Joc. That was so obvious. And he could have been a good bridge to Colas because since we have to wait till 2022 for him to even play in the minors he won't be ready till 2023 I assume. Joc would have been an awesome righty killing RFer. 

If they lose out on Hendriks it will be so infuriating. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

If they lose out on Hendriks it will be so infuriating. 

With the Dodgers involved and the Padres loading up I think Hendriks ends up in LA. 

I've already moved on from Hendriks and no longer think he's a realistic add for the Sox. 

New targets are Rosenthal and Bradley. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

43 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I think I would prefer Lynn in general.  But when you look at the price, give me Lynn all day long.

I’m a huge Lynn fan and mostly agree with you.  I will say there is probably more risk with Lynn just due to his age and body type (and I know Snell doesn’t have the best track record), but I really like the guy I’ve seen over the past two years with Texas and think he will be a perfect fit in the #2 spot next year.

1 minute ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Resist the siren song of the "win the offseason" moves.  They are always so tantalizing, and time and again they get fans and the baseball press gushing in January about the acquiring team's "aggressiveness."  But it's almost uncanny how rarely they seem to work out as planned.  

The Dodgers got Betts and it seemed to work out well for them.

• Fire 1

The off-season still is not over. As I said earlier...the rockies and dbacks may be motivated more than ever to retool with what they have and there are still really GOOD FA options still obtainable. I get people being jealous of the Padres having a historic day...but for months the rhetoric here has been 5-7 years, not 2-3. Well the Padres really want all in on 2-3. Let's see what Sox roster looks like late February before you jump off a bridge. And be honest...Padres HAVE to do this to compete with Dodgers...Sox have very little competition in the AL the next few years as teams are currently.

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

The off-season still is not over. As I said earlier...the rockies and dbacks may be motivated more than ever to retool with what they have and there are still really GOOD FA options still obtainable. I get people being jealous of the Padres having a historic day...but for months the rhetoric here has been 5-7 years, not 2-3. Well the Padres really want all in on 2-3. Let's see what Sox roster looks like late February before you jump off a bridge. And be honest...Padres HAVE to do this to compete with Dodgers...Sox have very little competition in the AL the next few years as teams are currently.

The Yankees are pretty good and the Rays always find a way. 

30 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m hoping for Yates.  Absolutely don’t want Archie Bradley.

I think Yates ends up back with the Padres.  I really don’t buy them adding Hendriks after taking on nearly $40M for Snell, Darvish, & Kim when they can add guy like Yates at a fraction of the cost of what Liam will get.

I think Yates ends up back with the Padres.  I really don’t buy them adding Hendriks after taking on nearly $40M for Snell, Darvish, & Kim when they can add guy like Yates at a fraction of the cost of what Liam will get.

I just don’t see how you go all in with the starting pitching and then to cheap with your closer.

Yeah, I think Yates end up with the Padres and Hendriks with the Dodgers. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Did he play last year in the world series?   I also saw Howie Kendricks highlights as well from 2019.  How is he projecting this year. 

Did he play last year in the World Series? Are "championship" players players who only played in the last World Series? I guess that would disqualify Springer. 

Howie Kendrick. Howie is 37 and Eaton is 32. And Howie is ready to retire now, but could probably keep playing if he wanted. Howie has always been a "championship" player, but like most players isn't on the right team. This is not an apt comparison at all. 

What exactly is your definition of a "championship" player? For me, it's players who can contribute to winning a championship. Adam Eaton clearly contributed to the Nationals winning a championship (only 2 years ago...), but aside from that a healthy productive Adam Eaton is a very good player capable of helping other teams win championships.  

11 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Resist the siren song of the "win the offseason" moves.  They are always so tantalizing, and time and again they get fans and the baseball press gushing in January about the acquiring team's "aggressiveness."  But it's almost uncanny how rarely they seem to work out as planned.  

Remember when Chicago "won the offseason" by getting Shark and company?  How did that work out...  Being "aggressive" isn't worth jack shit in itself.  The Sox have had a pretty boring offseason with some pretty standard moves for a team that doesn't have a lot of cash and is entering their window.  You can b**** and moan about JR's pocket book all you want he's never going to be an owner that "spends just to spend".

But here we are yelling about it again.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I don't know when this turned into a meme, but we don't need to "win the offseason".  We had a few holes on a team that could be on the verge of doing something special if those holes are filled.  This team needed a RF, 2 SPs, and a closer going into the offseason to put it on a level to compete with the big boys, and not just the AL Central.  So far they have addressed one SP hole, and found themselves a reclamation project in RF.  That isn't filling the holes they have, let alone "winning the offseason.

• Like 1