Jump to content
Sleepy Harold

Blake Snell and Yu Darvish traded to San Diego

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Yeah I'm so pissed and frustrated about Joc. That was so obvious. And he could have been a good bridge to Colas because since we have to wait till 2022 for him to even play in the minors he won't be ready till 2023 I assume. Joc would have been an awesome righty killing RFer. 

If they lose out on Hendriks it will be so infuriating. 

I really want Hendriks to finish off the bullpen and will really question what our plan was this offseason if we don’t end up with him at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Remember when Chicago "won the offseason" by getting Shark and company?  How did that work out...  Being "aggressive" isn't worth jack shit in itself.  The Sox have had a pretty boring offseason with some pretty standard moves for a team that doesn't have a lot of cash and is entering their window.  You can b**** and moan about JR's pocket book all you want he's never going to be an owner that "spends just to spend".

But here we are yelling about it again.

The thing is we should be able to tell the difference between adding a #3 starter, average LF, and good closer to a 72 win team and getting 2 cy young type pitchers to a playoff team.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bmags said:

The thing is we should be able to tell the difference between adding a #3 starter, average LF, and good closer to a 72 win team and getting 2 cy young type pitchers to a playoff team.

Exactly.  Thanks for distilling my post down to its essence.  This is what adding to an already good team (that has pay roll limits) looks like.  Maybe it's been so long nobody know it when they see it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

No offense, but there isn't a major publication who feels the Sox farm system is better than San Diego.  I think I am going to go with the professionals here over a random internet poster.

After these trades, there’s a good chance it will be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t wait to see what the Cubs end up getting here.  Already had a Cubs buddy text me “last chance to offer Robert for Darvish”.  Clearly he’s in for a world of disappointment, but just no idea what Yu would be worth after the Snell trade.  He is a way better pitcher in theory, but also way older and 50% more expensive.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

When did the Sox win the offseason? Because I don't remember ever feeling like they won it. I remember last year I felt decent with the signing of Grandal, but hated Keuchel/Mazaraa (Keuchel so far has been good, but I feel he regresses HARD this year). 

In 2018 it was the worst of all time offseasons.

 

As a fan, I just ONCE want to get a star. This organization has shown time and time again that they play the middle ground everywhere. They'll sign the Adam Eaton who we all know will probably suck and be a complete waste. They miss out on Wheeler and sign the meh Keuchel. 

This offseason, they traded for Lynn who has shown signs of decline recently and honestly, I don't have a whole lot of confidence in him, instead of trading for a big dog like Snell or Darvish or Castillo. 

They won't sign Springer or Bauer (although I wouldn't really want Springer). 

They don't sign in bulk (meaning they wont take 2 or 3 pretty good OFers like a Schwarber/Pederson/Dahl types). 

I just hate how they operate. The only thing good they do is acquire cubans.

Jose Abreu is and has been a star during his time with the Sox. You and many others here take him for granted.

I don’t agree with this but most posters here feel Grandal is a star (top 2 player at his position).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't know when this turned into a meme, but we don't need to "win the offseason".  We had a few holes on a team that could be on the verge of doing something special if those holes are filled.  This team needed a RF, 2 SPs, and a closer going into the offseason to put it on a level to compete with the big boys, and not just the AL Central.  So far they have addressed one SP hole, and found themselves a reclamation project in RF.  That isn't filling the holes they have, let alone "winning the offseason.

OK.  But you're in a thread about the Padres trading for Snell and Darvish.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

OK.  But you're in a thread about the Padres trading for Snell and Darvish.  

Because how the Sox relate to this hasn't come up at all in this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't know when this turned into a meme, but we don't need to "win the offseason".  We had a few holes on a team that could be on the verge of doing something special if those holes are filled.  This team needed a RF, 2 SPs, and a closer going into the offseason to put it on a level to compete with the big boys, and not just the AL Central.  So far they have addressed one SP hole, and found themselves a reclamation project in RF.  That isn't filling the holes they have, let alone "winning the offseason.

This 100%. Thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Jose Abreu is and has been a star during his time with the Sox. You and many others here take him for granted.

I don’t agree with this but most posters here feel Grandal is a star (top 2 player at his position).

I'm saying the White sox Never acquire a star.

 

Jose Abreu is a questionable star (he certainly was a star last season), but we signed him via the international market (? I think). At that point he was not a star and while I'm sure he was heralded as potentially good, that wasn't the white sox acquiring a star.

Grandal is only a marginal 'star' because of the position he plays. 

For once, I want them to put their money on the table and get someone. Get me Bauer. Get Lindor next season. Use some prospect depth to take advantage of these teams crying poor and trade for their stars (padres just owned this route). 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I'm saying the White sox Never acquire a star.

 

Jose Abreu is a questionable star (he certainly was a star last season), but we signed him via the international market (? I think). At that point he was not a star and while I'm sure he was heralded as potentially good, that wasn't the white sox acquiring a star.

Grandal is only a marginal 'star' because of the position he plays. 

For once, I want them to put their money on the table and get someone. Get me Bauer. Get Lindor next season. Use some prospect depth to take advantage of these teams crying poor and trade for their stars (padres just owned this route). 

I think Abreu is a star. Grandal not a star but near the top. What upsets me is we were told when it was time spending wasn’t going to be a problem. We were led to believe at the beginning of the offseason they were in on Springer, in on Hendriks, maybe even Bauer. Lynn is solid. But he is a one year guy. Eaton is OK but he is a reclamation project. We were supposed to be be shopping a level or two higher. The offseason is nowhere near  over, but we will see. It seems like the same old stuff. Hope everything works out. It did once. But only once. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, daggins said:

The big difference is that the Padres have to beat LA.

The White Sox have to beat a Twins team that hasn't even re-signed their star offensive player. Who is 40, btw.

Edit - I should include that the Sox also have to beat a Cleveland team that traded their former ace last season and have talked actively about trading their MVP-caliber shortstop.

So your goal is to win the division? The goal should be to win the World Series. Period.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I'm saying the White sox Never acquire a star.

 

Jose Abreu is a questionable star (he certainly was a star last season), but we signed him via the international market (? I think). At that point he was not a star and while I'm sure he was heralded as potentially good, that wasn't the white sox acquiring a star.

Grandal is only a marginal 'star' because of the position he plays. 

For once, I want them to put their money on the table and get someone. Get me Bauer. Get Lindor next season. Use some prospect depth to take advantage of these teams crying poor and trade for their stars (padres just owned this route). 

You’re still underselling Jose here. A questionable star, seriously? He’s made 3 all star appearances (would be 4 if last season wasn’t so messed up), won rookie of the year, and won an MVP. How is that a questionable star? You’re not making sense. And this is all after a he was heralded as the Cuban Babe Ruth (obviously he was a star there too).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

You’re still underselling Jose here. A questionable star, seriously? He’s made 3 all star appearances (would be 4 if last season wasn’t so messed up), won rookie of the year, and won an MVP. How is that a questionable star? You’re not making sense. And this is all after a he was heralded as the Cuban Babe Ruth (obviously he was a star there too).

This was an Abreu article in 2012, before Abreu was even on the market.

Quote

A.453 batting average; .597 on-base percentage; .986 slugging percentage. Thirty-three homers and 93 runs batted in … in 212 at-bats.

You look at the numbers, squint, and then look again. These are Baseball Stars numbers, a video game creation, with abilities cranked up to the max. There’s no way a professional baseball player could have done this.

Except someone did. His name is Jose Abreu. He just might be the best hitter in the world. And you’ve probably never heard of him.

--

https://grantland.com/features/cuba-jose-abreu-migh-best-offensive-weapon-planet/

Abreu hype was real.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think Abreu is a star. Grandal not a star but near the top. What upsets me is we were told when it was time spending wasn’t going to be a problem. We were led to believe at the beginning of the offseason they were in on Springer, in on Hendriks, maybe even Bauer. Lynn is solid. But he is a one year guy. Eaton is OK but he is a reclamation project. We were supposed to be be shopping a level or two higher. The offseason is nowhere near  over, but we will see. It seems like the same old stuff. Hope everything works out. It did once. But only once. 

Jesse Rogers continues to state he’s heard Sox won’t go after any of the big names and never intended to this offseason.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I'm saying the White sox Never acquire a star.

 

Jose Abreu is a questionable star (he certainly was a star last season), but we signed him via the international market (? I think). At that point he was not a star and while I'm sure he was heralded as potentially good, that wasn't the white sox acquiring a star.

Grandal is only a marginal 'star' because of the position he plays. 

For once, I want them to put their money on the table and get someone. Get me Bauer. Get Lindor next season. Use some prospect depth to take advantage of these teams crying poor and trade for their stars (padres just owned this route). 

Long ago, but Carlton Fisk, Greg Luzinski. Albert Belle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MnSoxFan said:

Long ago, but Carlton Fisk, Greg Luzinski. Albert Belle. 

Too long. My generation is right after Belle. What is that, the last 30 years? 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

You’re still underselling Jose here. A questionable star, seriously? He’s made 3 all star appearances (would be 4 if last season wasn’t so messed up), won rookie of the year, and won an MVP. How is that a questionable star? You’re not making sense. And this is all after a he was heralded as the Cuban Babe Ruth (obviously he was a star there too).

...also, isn't the original jumping-off point that the Padres just traded for Snell, and that Snell is a star?  Why, because he won a Cy Young a couple years back?  If so, then isn't Keuchel a star?

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no question in my mind Jerry is using the uncertainty of 2021 with fans and the possibility of a 2022 strike to justify the mediocre payroll for 2021. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Quin said:

This was an Abreu article in 2012, before Abreu was even on the market.

Abreu hype was real.

 

He was absolutely a star when the Sox signed him. And if Abreu had started his MLB career in his low 20s like most of these other guys, you’d very likely be looking at a dude with 7+ all star appearances and perhaps 2 MVPs. As an MLB rookie in his age 27 season, he was an absolute monster at the plate. It’s unfortunate we weren’t able to see this guy hit during his age 20-26 seasons. I think if he had started his MLB career sooner, we’d be looking at an Albert Pujols like career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

...also, isn't the original jumping-off point for all this is that the Padres just traded for Snell, and that Snell is a star?  Why, because he won a Cy Young a couple years back?  If so, then isn't Keuchel a star?

Snell is a bonafide ace. Tier 1 starter. Star. He'd be a national star on any other team.

Darvish is a stud, long track record of ace success.

 

Keuchel had a couple of great years. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×