Blake Snell and Yu Darvish traded to San Diego

Sleepy Harold

25 minutes ago, Quin said:

I have a Cubs fan friend who loved gloating about the Sox signing TLR and trading Dunning for Lynn. He's also an ardent believer in Charles the Cat.

Trying to not return the favor today.

Hey kitty kitty whatcha say

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

The Padres are obviously going for it now, and big.  Adding Darvish and Snell is huge for them, but they did give up quite a bit of their farm in these two moves.  Don't get me wrong, they did well, especially with the Darvish trade.  But what would have been the mood here had the Sox made these moves and given up comparable talent?  Would we be pleased, pissed, a little bit of both?

Dane Dunning became Shane Bieber after the Lynn trade and Lance Lynn became Lance Broadway.

I give credit to the Padres for building an amazing farm system which allowed them to make these moves.  They got the cubs to take four lottery tickets.

There is a decent enough chance that both Snell and Darvish don't pan out like they are being purported to do.

In their careers combined Darvish and Snell have thrown over 200 innings in a season once.  Lance Lynn has done it 3 times.

In their careers combined Darvish and Snell have started over 30 games in a season four times.  Lance Lynn has done it 5 times.

The Padres have the farm system depth to overcome both of the potential shortcomings of Snell and Darvish not many if any teams have this luxury. 

I like lynn and all, i just wonder what it would've taken for darvish. I like his three years at a fixed, reasonable cost plus upside. If dunning was still the centerpiece I wouldve been more than okay trading some of our younger pieces. oh well. 

also now it seems as if bryant has to be ... like free? same with any high priced player on a number of teams. i know we have eaton + a plethora of marginal bench guys in leury, collins, engel, mendick etc. to fill any bench roles + spot DH, days off -- however it's too bad we don't make that push to sign or trade for a "bloated" contract and really load this team up. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I like lynn and all, i just wonder what it would've taken for darvish. I like his three years at a fixed, reasonable cost plus upside. If dunning was still the centerpiece I wouldve been more than okay trading some of our younger pieces. oh well. 

also now it seems as if bryant has to be ... like free? same with any high priced player on a number of teams. i know we have eaton + a plethora of marginal bench guys in leury, collins, engel, mendick etc. to fill any bench roles + spot DH, days off -- however it's too bad we don't make that push to sign or trade for a "bloated" contract and really load this team up. 

100% looking at the cost of Darvish to the Padres we could have beaten that rather easily. I would have much preferred Darvish and his skillset + years over Lynn, but you know that JR and company wanted the cheaper contract. 

Good teams bring in talent, JR/co should be on the phone with the Cubs trying to grab Kris Bryant asap for nothing. Put him in the OF. 

• Like 2

If Lynn reups for another season or 2...the Sox got a better deal. Sox need innings. Lynn guarantees that. Darvish is great when on, but oh so troubled at times. 
Gio, Lynn & Keuchel is still very good. I don't see why people are going crazy over not getting Darvish. And while Snell was a reasonable deal...you simply do not trade with the Rays and win. 

Bauer is still the solution that was best....but why didn't the Padres just do that? clearly his price is out of reach for everyone currently. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

26 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Dane Dunning became Shane Bieber after the Lynn trade and Lance Lynn became Lance Broadway.

I give credit to the Padres for building an amazing farm system which allowed them to make these moves.  They got the cubs to take four lottery tickets.

There is a decent enough chance that both Snell and Darvish don't pan out like they are being purported to do.

In their careers combined Darvish and Snell have thrown over 200 innings in a season once.  Lance Lynn has done it 3 times.

In their careers combined Darvish and Snell have started over 30 games in a season four times.  Lance Lynn has done it 5 times.

The Padres have the farm system depth to overcome both of the potential shortcomings of Snell and Darvish not many if any teams have this luxury. 

I like Lynn more than Snell this is true. But I definitely have jealousy of a team  comparable to us in the rebuild going out and netting Clevinger, Snell and Darvish in a three month period and still being relatively whole in the farm in terms of top guys.

I'd rank it (leaving off clev, I was a big fan but that injury would be a huge hit to sox)
1. Darvish (like contract and talent, best pitcher of bunch)
2. Lynn
3. Snell

Definitely wish we were talking about upgrading with a Snell/Darvish for our next pitcher and not Quintana, who we are hoping gets us an Ivan Nova 2019 year. That's our dream big.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2021 Projected fWAR shows San Diego is now 2nd in a near identical tie with Los Angeles.

The White Sox are 7th, also behind the Yankees, Astros, Minnesota and the Anaheim, Orange County, somewhere near Los Angeles of Alta California Angels.

https://www.mlb.com/news/padres-might-be-best-baseball-team-2021

ax8w9s3hbqv6vko6mwmj

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

If Lynn reups for another season or 2...the Sox got a better deal. Sox need innings. Lynn guarantees that. Darvish is great when on, but oh so troubled at times. 
Gio, Lynn & Keuchel is still very good. I don't see why people are going crazy over not getting Darvish. And while Snell was a reasonable deal...you simply do not trade with the Rays and win. 

Bauer is still the solution that was best....but why didn't the Padres just do that? clearly his price is out of reach for everyone currently. 

Darvish is awesome

12 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Gio, Lynn & Keuchel is still very good. I don't see people going crazy over not getting Darvish. And while Snell was a reasonable deal...you simply do not trade with the Rays and win. 

I have my doubts with both Lynn and Keuchel. Darvish, on the other hand, has overpowering stuff. I would have felt better giving up Dunning for 3 guaranteed years of an overpowering arsenal of Darvish rather than Lynn. I see Lynn being closer to a 4.0 ERA with the Sox than a 3.0. Keuchel will regress, that's guaranteed, from last year. Kopech will pitch very little, and Cease so far has sucked. 

We are in trouble with pitching. 

I agree Bauer would have been the perfect move, but the W'Sox killed that with LaRussa signing and the fact that they don't sign big contracts anyway.

I'm just jealous that the Padres had enough prospect capital and $$$$ to trade for the 2 biggest SP acquisitions and sign the korean sensation in the same 24 hour span while the W'Sox look around the league to find the best contracts to spend the least amount of money while trying to compete. Their shooting themselves in the foot. This isn't covid-white sox strategy, this has been their strategy all along. 

Teams like the Rays and A's have serious payroll constraints and compete with intelligent baseball analytic moves.

The Chicago White Sox aren't that desperate with money, but my god, how much $$$$ we've wasted over the years on the 'middle route' with guys like Edwin, Nomar, Eaton, etc. etc. They need to learn to pay up once in a while to get their $$$'s worth. 

Edited by iWiN4PreP
  • Like 2

The Padres seem to manage their team how any sane and logical person would -- making all the right possible moves to try to win a WS with what they have. These are the exact moves I'd make in MLB The Show if I was in their position.

The White Sox (and MANY other organizations) make moves based on weird financial constructs to save the ownership group the most amount of money while trying to place a competitive team on the field. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ScooterMcGee said:

My thoughts exactly.

ok, you and @ron883, what other pitchers were available that would have been smarter, or what moves?

Darvish and Snell are two of the top 10 most skilled pitchers in the game for this upcoming year.

Also, IMO it's kinda ridiculous talking about injury proneness with SPs. Literally every SP is injury prone. Especially this year.

What their doing is building an insane rotation of depth that is going to be needed for this upcoming year. Theirs going to be more SP injuries in 2021 then there ever has been. 

The Padres made the best possible moves of the offseason in the 24 hour span. The only better move would have been Bauer, but I feel like his game is not possible to be won currently. 

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

ok, you and @ron883, what other pitchers were available that would have been smarter, or what moves?

Darvish and Snell are two of the top 10 most skilled pitchers in the game for this upcoming year.

Also, IMO it's kinda ridiculous talking about injury proneness with SPs. Literally every SP is injury prone. Especially this year.

What their doing is building an insane rotation of depth that is going to be needed for this upcoming year. Theirs going to be more SP injuries in 2021 then there ever has been. 

The Padres made the best possible moves of the offseason in the 24 hour span. The only better move would have been Bauer, but I feel like his game is not possible to be won currently. 

Man, you really can't be sitting here arguing that Snell is bonafide, #1 star and then talk about not being able to win with Bauer's game or whatever this headassery is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Acknowledging that this can blow up in their faces because of injury is not the same as calling the moves dumb.  This could be the smartest moves of the off-season or this could be "THE WHITE SOX WON THE OFF-SEASON FACEPLANT"

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

These pitchers are clearly more injury prone than others. Snell literally doesn't pitch more than 5 innings. Quit being a bonehead.

22 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I have my doubts with both Lynn and Keuchel. Darvish, on the other hand, has overpowering stuff. I would have felt better giving up Dunning for 3 guaranteed years of an overpowering arsenal of Darvish rather than Lynn. I see Lynn being closer to a 4.0 ERA with the Sox than a 3.0. Keuchel will regress, that's guaranteed, from last year. Kopech will pitch very little, and Cease so far has sucked. 

We are in trouble with pitching. 

I agree Bauer would have been the perfect move, but the W'Sox killed that with LaRussa signing and the fact that they don't sign big contracts anyway.

I'm just jealous that the Padres had enough prospect capital and $$$$ to trade for the 2 biggest SP acquisitions and sign the korean sensation in the same 24 hour span while the W'Sox look around the league to find the best contracts to spend the least amount of money while trying to compete. Their shooting themselves in the foot. This isn't covid-white sox strategy, this has been their strategy all along. 

Teams like the Rays and A's have serious payroll constraints and compete with intelligent baseball analytic moves.

The Chicago White Sox aren't that desperate with money, but my god, how much $$$$ we've wasted over the years on the 'middle route' with guys like Edwin, Nomar, Eaton, etc. etc. They need to learn to pay up once in a while to get their $$$'s worth. 

Stop saying “we”

Not only do you have 0.00% to do with the Chicago White Sox organization, but you “renounced” your fandom after the Sox failed to sign Machado. 

There is no “we” here. Go away

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Stop saying “we”

Not only do you have 0.00% to do with the Chicago White Sox organization, but you “renounced” your fandom after the Sox failed to sign Machado. 

Being somewhat new to the board, the use of "we" by nearly all posters to discuss the team or front office / organization was the hardest thing for me to get used to. The term "we" should only be used in the context of fandom.

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

Stop saying “we”

Not sure how an admin (former mod) can be so illogical. Numerous times in the past you've brought this up, it's a great way to avoid any of the logical arguments and completely turn the conversation into a spamfest/argument. Really immature. 

Edited by iWiN4PreP

I envy the Padres prospect depth to do these deals and not touch their highest rated guys.  Padres still have 8 FV 50 and above per MLB.com after the trade.  We have six and obviously would have only a couple if we had done these deals.  That is my lesson.  We need to continue to add to the farm to have trade capital.

A 20 plus million salary is substantial for us.  Am I the only guy who would be scared of it coming to a guy 34,35,36 years old?