Blake Snell and Yu Darvish traded to San Diego

Sleepy Harold

I still wouldn’t want the Padres MLB and MiLB rosters over ours.  

Really not feeling their position players or pitching really.  

Not to take anything away from them but it looks really good but not great.  
I see great over here with my homer glasses.  They can’t touch great

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

The guy has been part of a major league roster for 4 years now and still haven't done much to show he's a starting catcher at the major leagues. He was projected to be the 3rd catcher for Padres before Campusano got busted for weed. He's living on laurels of his past prospect rankings, I don't think he has significantly more value than Collins.

Also as for the rest of the names, I was using MLB prospect grades as a comparison.

Meija was an absolute top Prospect but similar to Collins he now isn't really seen as a catcher anymore.

There still is pop in the bad but k to bb rate is horrific and if he can't catch that is not so special.

But maybe the rays believe they can teach him better receiving as unlike Collins he is an excellent athlete.

If the rays can make meija a catcher they probably win that trade big time and if meija is a DH the deal is probably fair value.

6 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I think Snell tend to get overrated and this package is actually pretty right for him. If it was Gore instead of Patino, it would have been a serious overpay.

If you go by MLB prospect grades, Patino is 55, Wilcox 50, Hunt 45. For Sox it would have been similar to Crochet/Stiever/Collins/Rutherford for Snell. Wilcox might have more upside than Stiever so Padres might push for someone like Kelley instead. I'd do the former however.

Crochet not a chance with his likely reliever profile.

Kopech’s the closest.  I would think 75% of MLB front offices or more would prefer Patino.

Most notable is not giving up Abrams, either.  Better package here than the Clevinger one because of the possibility of Mejia breaking out and obviously Patino’s got a ton of potential, but there’s more risk for the Rays as well (compared to the Indians, who were almost forced to trade their guy.)

• Like 2

Yes, this package shows why sox weren't a great fit. They got 3 real prospects with a top 20 headliner and a reclamation guy. Regardless of thoughts on Collins, he's as much of a reclamation guy as Mejia with his inability to hit fastballs in MLB. Rays did well, as expected. 

Padres farm is a huge asset. Still with more to go. But sox with good development have potential to really build good depth for trade or roster by this time next year.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Meija was an absolute top Prospect but similar to Collins he now isn't really seen as a catcher anymore.

There still is pop in the bad but k to bb rate is horrific and if he can't catch that is not so special.

But maybe the rays believe they can teach him better receiving as unlike Collins he is an excellent athlete.

If the rays can make meija a catcher they probably win that trade big time and if meija is a DH the deal is probably fair value.

He was supposed to be a hit first catcher but failed to hit at MLB level. The reason I don't think he has that much more value than Collins is he got half a season under his belt last year and put up only 0.5 WAR. Collins has yet to get more than a cup of tea.

Indians have tried Mejia at 3B and OF in the past so maybe he could switch over to a position less taxing and focus more on his hitting. But if he turns into something, he has the Rays to thank, because on most other organizations, he's on his way to being an AAAA player.

Padres being Padres and they're still in on Sugano. Even w/o Clevinger, adding Snell to the mix with Lamet, Paddock and Gore is scary. The linchpin is obviously Patino. He has been very highly ranked for several years but I'm not convinced he's a dude. Obviously Rays like him alot. For me, this just suggests the 'mind trades' we (and the food guys) have been offering for guys like Darvish and Castillo ust aren't going to cut it and we should focus on getting Hendriks locked up ASAP.   

Paddock really regressed last year, but that rotation if Gore even comes anywhere near fulfilling his potential is closer and closer to rock solid right now.  They also managed to retain Morejon and Baez, who have been Top 75 or above MiLB guys in recent years.

And CJ Abrams is a lot like Profar, where he can play basically anywhere on the field.  All things considered, they’re in a pretty good place...just need one more stud in the bullpen (or one of the castoff starters to take off).  

Of course, as long-term White Sox fans well know, nothing goes quite like planned in baseball.

11 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

FWIW

I call BS on this Crochet = Wilcox.  No prospect improved his value more than Garrett last year with his major league showing.  I think Kelley would be a more appropriate comp there.  And teams may be intrigued by Bailey, but I don’t see how he’s anywhere close to Hunt’s level.  I think Stiever is the closest thing we have to a guy that could be considered a borderline top 100 type and that’s if you buy into the 2019 version who had a ton of helium.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I call BS on this Crochet = Wilcox.  No prospect improved his value more than Garrett last year with his major league showing.  I think Kelley would be a more appropriate comp there.  And teams may be intrigued by Bailey, but I don’t see how he’s anywhere close to Hunt’s level.  I think Stiever is the closest thing we have to a guy that could be considered a borderline top 100 type and that’s if you buy into the 2019 version who had a ton of helium.

It's probably more...

Kopech, Dunning (trading for Snell instead of Lynn), Kelley, and Bailey.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Yes, this package shows why sox weren't a great fit. They got 3 real prospects with a top 20 headliner and a reclamation guy. Regardless of thoughts on Collins, he's as much of a reclamation guy as Mejia with his inability to hit fastballs in MLB. Rays did well, as expected. 

Padres farm is a huge asset. Still with more to go. But sox with good development have potential to really build good depth for trade or roster by this time next year.

Man, losing the minor league season really blew up how we could assess the Sox farm.

Obviously the Top 4 are great. After that it feels like the entire system could boom or bust from there.

1 minute ago, Quin said:

Man, losing the minor league season really blew up how we could assess the Sox farm.

Obviously the Top 4 are great. After that it feels like the entire system could boom or bust from there.

On the other hand, none of our young guys busted in kannapolis like Bush/Sosa did the year prior

The question is whether the rays can teach meija to catch. His bat hasn't performed well either but it was a short sample and I guess it should be ok if he can catch.

However at 3B or corner OF his bat doesn't really play due to his bad plate discipline.

Recently some teams had success to teach receiving though especially since meija in contrast to Collins is a good athlete (with a cannon arm). Contreras and narvaez had been bad framers and now they are above average, so it can be possible to teach this especially to good athletes and the rays could be  a team that has the player dev staff to teach receiving.

8 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I love AJ Preller.  Everyone in baseball is so scared to make moves and this guy gives zero fucks.  He just wants to improve his team and win.  Baseball needs more competitive guys like him.  

Could not agree more with this.  Once again everyone, as of now we have Gio for 3 more years.  The fact that everyone is worried about what’s going to happen 5-6 years from now just isn’t the right mind set.  

• Thanks 1