Blake Snell and Yu Darvish traded to San Diego

Sleepy Harold

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That's what is so sad about this. The Sox will still be a lot of fun to watch, but management is more interested in profit than blowing teams out of the water.

This is what makes me not want to spend a dime on the White Sox. I love my team but ownership makes it difficult. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Quin said:

I mean, he better be taking a big discount at the rate they're spending

Whatever it is, it's definitely the largest extension for a pre-arb player in MLB history. I wanted to use Acuna's extension as a baseline, but he will blow that deal out of the water, even with a discount.

3 minutes ago, pcq said:

Real tired of slogging the owner. Follow the Reds or Pirates for a while.

Some of it certainly warranted, but Team does Thing being immediately met with jerry bad without fail regardless of context is super obnoxious. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, South Sider said:

If Contreras is in that deal, the Cubs are definitely getting Gore ++

Not sure about that. Don't forget that darvish was very good but he also is 34 and has lots of years and millions left on the contract, that contract has big time negative surplus value.

Cubs might be pretty happy to unload that contract because even if darvish is good next year his last years could get really ugly.

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

Some of it certainly warranted, but Team does Thing being immediately met with jerry bad without fail regardless of context is super obnoxious. 

Jerry is going for it with a 76 year old manager, a 34 year old 40 lbs. overweight pitcher on a 1 year contract, and a reclimation project in RF. SD, the NL version of the White Sox signs Machado to a contract the White Sox couldn't afford. They trade for Clevenger at the deadline. Trade for Snell. About to get Darvish and maybe some more. One guy wants to win, one guy wants to die with as much money as possible.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Jerry is going for it with a 76 year old manager, a 34 year old 40 lbs. overweight pitcher on a 1 year contract, and a reclimation project in RF. SD, the NL version of the White Sox signs Machado to a contract the White Sox couldn't afford. They trade for Clevenger at the deadline. Trade for Snell. About to get Darvish and maybe some more. One guy wants to win, one guy wants to die with as much money as possible.

We get Tony LaRussa though.  That fixes everything!

The big difference is that the Padres have to beat LA.

The White Sox have to beat a Twins team that hasn't even re-signed their star offensive player. Who is 40, btw.

Edit - I should include that the Sox also have to beat a Cleveland team that traded their former ace last season and have talked actively about trading their MVP-caliber shortstop.

Edited by daggins
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Which roster would you take right now, pre any Darvish deal? I'm still taking Sox position players over Padres 9/10 times. And Kopech could be a stud which makes the pitching closer than many think.

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Which roster would you take right now, pre any Darvish deal? I'm still taking Sox position players over Padres 9/10 times. And Kopech could be a stud which makes the pitching closer than many think.

I'd probably take the Padres but not if I had to compete with the Dodgers, even with Darvish. Padres may be better but Sox have a better chance of winning a World Series as things stand right this second, assuming the playoffs don't stay expanded. 

Edited by mqr

Just now, mqr said:

I'd probably take the Padres but not if I had to compete with the Dodgers. Padres may be better but Sox have a better chance of winning a World Series as things stand right this second, assuming the playoffs don't stay expanded. 

Yeah, this is where I'm at.

Padres if I can pick the division.

However, Sox have the better situation to be in.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

We get Tony LaRussa though.  That fixes everything!

Tony LaRussa getting fired by the White Sox was the greatest thing that ever happened to him in baseball. He was hired immediately by a team that was about to become a juggernaut. If he had remained in Chicago, chances are with 3 years of rebuild after he was canned, and yet another GM, he probably would have been let go before the Sox were good again, therefore never being the A's manager, and never having the success with that roster, not being hired in St. Louis. He would have flamed out being a Jim Riggleman type.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mqr said:

I'd probably take the Padres but not if I had to compete with the Dodgers, even with Darvish. Padres may be better but Sox have a better chance of winning a World Series as things stand right this second, assuming the playoffs don't stay expanded. 

If Lamet is healthy, I would say the Padres

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Tony LaRussa getting fired by the White Sox was the greatest thing that ever happened to him in baseball. He was hired immediately by a team that was about to become a juggernaut. If he had remained in Chicago, chances are with 3 years of rebuild after he was canned, and yet another GM, he probably would have been let go before the Sox were good again, therefore never being the A's manager, and never having the success with that roster, not being hired in St. Louis. He would have flamed out being a Jim Riggleman type.

Yep, though he deserved to get shit canned regardless of who was GM. He was absolutely god-awful. Don't expect 2021 version to be any better.

Chicago White Sox Managerial Winning Percentages / Average Finish

• Gene Lamont .551 / 1.8
  • Ozzie Guillen .524 / 2.4
  • Jerry Manuel .515 / 2.0
  • Jeff Torborg .515 / 3.7
  • Terry Bevington .509 / 2.3
  • Tony LaRussa .506 / 3.7

15 minutes ago, daggins said:

The big difference is that the Padres have to beat LA.

The White Sox have to beat a Twins team that hasn't even re-signed their star offensive player. Who is 40, btw.

Edit - I should include that the Sox also have to beat a Cleveland team that traded their former ace last season and have talked actively about trading their MVP-caliber shortstop.

The White Sox last year feasted and destroyed really bad teams and then got beat by teams over 500.  So magically this is now a world series team based on adding Lynn and Eaton.  I would take the Padres over this team right now.  Especially with Jerry dumpster diving for bargains.  

• Like 2

Just now, southsideirish71 said:

The White Sox last year feasted and destroyed really bad teams and then got beat by teams over 500.  So magically this is now a world series team based on adding Lynn and Eaton.  I would take the Padres over this team right now.  Especially with Jerry dumpster diving for bargains.  

The Padres are trying to make themselves the super team that we hoped the Sox would try to make this offseason.