Blake Snell and Yu Darvish traded to San Diego

Sleepy Harold

6 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yep, though he deserved to get shit canned regardless of who was GM. He was absolutely god-awful. Don't expect 2021 version to be any better.

Chicago White Sox Managerial Winning Percentages / Average Finish

• Gene Lamont .551 / 1.8
  • Ozzie Guillen .524 / 2.4
  • Jerry Manuel .515 / 2.0
  • Jeff Torborg .515 / 3.7
  • Terry Bevington .509 / 2.3
  • Tony LaRussa .506 / 3.7

Right. If JR should feel bad about anyone, it should be Lamont. He was fired after about 40 games in 1995 after winning the division twice in a row. It was ridiculous. Scheuler paired down the roster, and hired Bevington to take his place. 

What they did to Lamont was so wrong, it cost them Jim Leyland coming back to manage them. He didn't like how his buddy was treated.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mqr said:

And are still not the favorites in their division. 

Could you imagine the type of surrender the Sox would be doing if the Dodgers were in their division? JR couldn't have a better set up. There are no big spenders in the division, the only division you can say that,  and he still can't dominate it. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Yeah but they are adding top front line players.  We added Lynn and grindy mcgrinderson in RF.  

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

And are still not the favorites in their division. 

While it's not an exact 1-to-1 comparison, it's like asking this:

During the Warriors dynasty, would you rather be the Rockets or the Cavaliers?

Just now, Sleepy Harold said:

We only added Grindy McGrinderson because Grindy McGrindface was too expensive

That's because an archaic group decided that the team needed toughness and overreacted.  It also doesn't hurt that he can be had for nickels and their insurance will pay for him when he is inevitably on the 60 day DL.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is not a post defending the Sox FO history because in many cases, there are things that simply can't be defended. 

With that said, the Sox have "won the offseason" numerous times during my fandom, and we all know the results. That's not to say what the Padres are doing is wrong or shouldn't be envied, but if the Padres clean out their system for Snell and Darvish with the Dodgers still being kings of the West and no signs of slowing down, their window could be much shorter than originally thought. 

• Thanks 1

The problem here is they cant pick a fucking lane this offseason.  My fear is that this is going to blow up in their face.  The division is ripe for the taking.  They have set this up to make a long term run. Its now time to win.  They just need to push the chips in now.  The owner is more inclined to take his money with him to the afterlife than to spend it.  So we get half assed attempts.  Players who would augment this team to push it over the top, are now out of reach.  So we have to use trading chits with prospects.  But we dont want to go all in now because the farm is only top heavy.  Because while this rebuilding was all going on, the owner was buying older guys who still cost money and then was clamping down saving pennies here and there with stupid trades.  So to save some money on the back end he uses international bonus pool money that other teams covet because its a lottery ticket as a way to sweeten the pot.  We have sent 1.2 million dollars of International bonus money to the Rangers in the last year and a half.  I think that would be nice to have in our model especially with our cuban pipeline.  If they want to be the Rays, then be the rays.  If they want to play with the big boys then be the big boys and spend.  You cant just sit back and do nothing or coast.   They dont know what they want to be.  Its almost like they want to do the twins model without spending the time and effort on the development system Minny put in.  

The Rangers acquired catcher Welington Castillo and $250,000 in international slot money from the White Sox in exchange for Minor League infielder/outfielder Jonah McReynolds. Castillo was not with Texas for long, as the Rangers on Friday declined his $8 million option for 2020, allowing Castillo to become a free agent. Texas made the deal because the club covets more room to sign international amateur free agents next summer.

The Ranges acquired Nate Jones and cash considerations for ....

While the White Sox saved some money by getting rid of the Jones contract, they gave cash considerations and $1 million in international bonus pool money to the Rangers.

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

14 minutes ago, Tony said:

This is not a post defending the Sox FO history because in many cases, there are things that simply can't be defended. 

With that said, the Sox have "won the offseason" numerous times during my fandom, and we all know the results. That's not to say what the Padres are doing is wrong or shouldn't be envied, but if the Padres clean out their system for Snell and Darvish with the Dodgers still being kings of the West and no signs of slowing down, their window could be much shorter than originally thought. 

This site is awesome.  Somehow JR is now Jerry Jones. 

Edited by Harry Chappas

20 minutes ago, Tony said:

Hell, it's not the first time the Padres and Preller have pushed the chips in and uh that did not go so hot. 

Being in the NL West must be a miserable existence. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

The White Sox last year feasted and destroyed really bad teams and then got beat by teams over 500.  So magically this is now a world series team based on adding Lynn and Eaton.  I would take the Padres over this team right now.  Especially with Jerry dumpster diving for bargains.  

I guess the good news is that the Sox don't have to play the Padres. They do have to play Kansas City and Detroit (presumably) 36 times, though.

4 minutes ago, daggins said:

I guess the good news is that the Sox don't have to play the Padres. They do have to play Kansas City and Detroit (presumably) 36 times, though.

Why play down to the competition? Why not deflate them. Blow them away, make them realize they have no shot? They have the opportunity. I thought sustained success and multiple championships was the goal. I guess it was hoping to be a little better than KC and Detroit.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tony said:

Off the top of my head:

2006: Strengthened a World Series win. Offense became damn near unstoppable. Rotation falls apart.

2015: This fucking offseason. Samardzija. Melky. Robertson. Bonifacio. LaRoche. Has there been a more devastating butterfly effect season in team history? After these additions failed (and Shark left) they added Frazier and filler (Rollins, Latos, and of course, Shields mid-season) to try and supplement the core of Sale, Quintana, Eaton, and Abreu. I remember rumblings that Hahn wanted to begin the rebuild after 2015, but apparently it took an extra year of catastrophe to convince the powers that be that no, this was not going to work.

6 minutes ago, daggins said:

And the bad news is they still play the Indians who they cant beat these days for whatever reason and the Twins.  So it evens out.  We wont be able to just feast on the NL Central either if they move to a normalized schedule.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Why play down to the competition? Why not deflate them. Blow them away, make them realize they have no shot? They have the opportunity. I thought sustained success and multiple championships was the goal. I guess it was hoping to be a little better than KC and Detroit.

That's not how Jerry operates unfortunately. Won't sign anyone to a long-term deal that he likely won't even be around to pay (the back end anyway).

Just now, manbearpuig said:

That's not how Jerry operates unfortunately. Won't sign anyone to a long-term deal that he likely won't even be around to pay (the back end anyway).

Then dont expect championships.  Because he is not willing to push the chips in.    We will be good not great.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tony said:

You and I almost always agree on everything but what is the Sox window right now?  If we lose our best pitcher in 3 years what happens at that point?  SD is aggressive and sure it might not result in anything but the Sox are just going to sit back and watch this window pass them by because they’re scared to take a risk.  

2 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

You and I almost always agree on everything but what is the Sox window right now?  If we lose our best pitcher in 3 years what happens at that point?  SD is aggressive and sure it might not result in anything but the Sox are just going to sit back and watch this window pass them by because they’re scared to take a risk.  

I will be shocked if Sox don’t extend Giolito in 2021

Very few teams can afford to do what the Dodgers, Yankees and Red Sox do and consistently try to build super-rosters. When they do dabble in those depths, they tend to fall apart pretty quickly (see the 2020 Nationals, the early 2010's Phillies, the 2015 Padres, and the Mets at various stages) when they run out of prospect capital and can't afford any more bloat. 

I do wish JR/Hahn were a bit more aggressive but it's not a totally binary choice between cheap/failure and expensive/successful. The Sox are trying to walk the middle path and I hope they are able to pull it off. At this point, what else can you do but hope?