Backup Catcher targets

bmags

5 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Personally, I want a high end reliever, another starting pitcher, and a left handed bat of some kind before even thinking about the backup catcher spot. It’s fairly low on my list of priorities.

They might get one or two of those, but they're not getting all three. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I like this name! Not too far removed from being a everyday starter. Still only 29. I don't know about the defensive side of his game though. Don't know the years of control either.  I got to think after this year a FA? Could be wrong.

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

I am on a phone and it’s hard to move posts then but a lot of good discussion on backup catcher in Hendriks thread, and here’s a tweet that makes it easier to start a thread. so makes sense to start here.

That's likely not going to happen, Barnhart is under contract for $7.5M, I called for Zunino, but Tampa signed him for $3M.

Of those currently available, I still like a defense first option, Tony Wolters or Alex Avila would be good options for $2.5M-$4M. Matt Wieters would be a third OK option if the first two aren't available.

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

That's likely not going to happen, Barnhart is under contract for $7.5M, I called for Zunino, but Tampa signed him for $3M.

Of those currently available, I still like a defense first option, Tony Wolters or Alex Avila would be good options for $2.5M-$4M. Matt Wieters would be a third OK option if the first two aren't available.

I’m on the Austin Romine bandwagon.

Id bet Barnhart came up as a way to reduce Somny Gray cost and isn’t as relevant anymore.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

7.5 is a team option for ‘22. ‘21 salary is a little over 4m.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Vulture said:

7.5 is a team option for ‘22. ‘21 salary is a little over 4m.

You're correct, thanks for the correction. Reds still need a starting catcher, they are not saving much by dumping his salary. He won the gold glove and works well with the staff, I don't see him available. The ones I mentioned are free agents.

Not sure what the Cardinals are going to do if Molina doesn't return, or the Cubs if they salary dump Contreras. Then again, not sure if there are any teams beyond the White Sox and possibly Twins or Brewers attempting to win 80 plus games across both Central Divisions.

10 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Barnhart is an interesting option. Lefty bat who walks a lot. I hate the idea of trading for a backup catcher though. There's options out there without giving up assets.

I'm being picky, if I had preference, would want a righty.  Figure Grandal would get his rests mostly against lefties with our potent righty lineup.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Trading for a backup catcher, short of just absorbing a contract, would be really stupid.  If you don’t believe in Collins, just sign a damn free agent.  Let’s not get overly cute here trying to find the perfect fit.

true enough, unless maybe in package....Castillo? Just dreamin!

Edited by Rounding_Third

1 minute ago, Rounding_Third said:

true enough, unless maybe in package....Castillo? Just dreamin!

Our farm system will likely be bottom five by the end of the year without some massive breakout performances, so I’m hesitant moving any pieces unless it’s for a potential difference maker.  If it’s part of a larger deal then maybe, but I’d still rather avoid it if at all possible.

• Like 1

I would give Collins a Shot. Yeah he hasn't looked good on either end but he only has 120 ABs at the mlb level that is absolutely nothing (for reference Mike trout had a 87 wrc+ his first 135 PAs (no comparison here, I know trout was 18 and had less than 500 PAs above A ball, just to show that sub 300 PAs means nothing) and I do still believe he can be a 110 wRC+ hitter against RHP even if it is a non traditional line (low BA, 20-25 homers, lot of K, tons of walks).

I still believe it was a huge mistake to not give Collins 400+ PAs in 2019 when the team was still playing for nothing. They should just have just let him hit everyday and say sink or swim, that way we already would have known him now.

I would give him the lefty platoon at DH till may (when vaughn should be up) and after that give him backup catcher.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Our farm system will likely be bottom five by the end of the year without some massive breakout performances, so I’m hesitant moving any pieces unless it’s for a potential difference maker.  If it’s part of a larger deal then maybe, but I’d still rather avoid it if at all possible.

I honestly do agree.  If Sox can sign Hendriks and are serious about $135-140m payroll, there are plenty of very solid options in FA to fill SP, LH DH, & backup C and maybe still have some left over. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

I'm being picky, if I had preference, would want a righty.  Figure Grandal would get his rests mostly against lefties with our potent righty lineup.

That's very true, but Grandal is historically better against lefties for his career. I'm going on the assumption there won't be a legitimate DH option, and it will be utilized more as a way to keep guys fresh.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I do think they should move older non high level pieces (22+ or 4+ years of minor league time). A 40 to 45 FV with 4 years of MILB time is unlikely to turn into the next tatis and I rather get value now than losing him to rule 5 next winter.

Yeah you don't want to lose all depth but rule 5 means huge value loss and teams like the yankees and rays do trade away lots of those pieces a year before they reach that point and thus get value.

That looks bad in farm system rankings but really once players reach their last milb year the clock is ticking, either they are ready by then or their value will plummet.

So once those college players are like 24 and international or HS players are around 22 you need to make a decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

No way he comes to be a backup right? That’s what I’m holding out on.

If the Cardinals decide to go in a different direction it could be the best spot for him.  LaRussa would sell it as a time share like with McCann.  He likes playing for LaRussa, he's familar with Lynn and the team is ready to win.  

• Like 1

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If the Cardinals decide to go in a different direction it could be the best spot for him.  LaRussa would sell it as a time share like with McCann.  He likes playing for LaRussa, he's familar with Lynn and the team is ready to win.  

Yep makes sense to me

9 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I do think they should move older non high level pieces (22+ or 4+ years of minor league time). A 40 to 45 FV with 4 years of MILB time is unlikely to turn into the next tatis and I rather get value now than losing him to rule 5 next winter.

Yeah you don't want to lose all depth but rule 5 means huge value loss and teams like the yankees and rays do trade away lots of those pieces a year before they reach that point and thus get value.

That looks bad in farm system rankings but really once players reach their last milb year the clock is ticking, either they are ready by then or their value will plummet.

So once those college players are like 24 and international or HS players are around 22 you need to make a decision.

I mostly agree here, but trading someone like Micker Adolfo for a backup catcher seems nuts to me.  I would explore moving him for the reasons you state, but would much rather use him as a sweetener in a more impactful move, whether that be now or at the trade deadline.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep makes sense to me

That would be such a terrible use of resources.  If Grandal is so bad at actually catching that we need to prioritize an expensive, 38 year old backup above other needs then the first move should be to fire Hahn and/or the pro scouts who endorsed him.  Like I can’t even stress how pissed I’d be if we spent like $7M+ on Molina and go cheap with the #4 spot in the rotation and/or don’t add a left-handed bat to the mix.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That would be such a terrible use of resources.  If Grandal is so bad at actually catching that we need to prioritize an expensive, 38 year old backup above other needs then the first move should be to fire Hahn and/or the pro scouts who endorsed him.  Like I can’t even stress how pissed I’d be if we spent like $7M+ on Molina and go cheap with the #4 spot in the rotation and/or don’t add a left-handed bat to the mix.

You know my thoughts on Grandal.