Backup Catcher targets

bmags

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That would be such a terrible use of resources.  If Grandal is so bad at actually catching that we need to prioritize an expensive, 38 year old backup above other needs then the first move should be to fire Hahn and/or the pro scouts who endorsed him.  Like I can’t even stress how pissed I’d be if we spent like $7M+ on Molina and go cheap with the #4 spot in the rotation and/or don’t add a left-handed bat to the mix.

He'll probably resign in StL when its all said and done.   

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think his name is Greg Amsinger on MLBN. He guarantees the Sox are in the World Series if they signed Yadi. Says he could catch 100 games and they could have Grandal DH . 

Aside from him being too much money, we need to put 4 LH bats in the lineup against RHP.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I think his name is Greg Amsinger on MLBN. He guarantees the Sox are in the World Series if they signed Yadi. Says he could catch 100 games and they could have Grandal DH . 

May as well go all in and bring his BFF Adam Wainwright as well. Has been pitching well, regular and post season, Also gives insurance in case of injury. Stick Grandal with Keuchel and Lynn, Molina catches Giolito, Wainwright, Kopech, Cease and Lopez. The only problem is the same worry about losing the DH if one of the catchers get hurt. Can start the season with Collins, if playing with Vaughn's time or if he's not ready.

Stats = OPS SP Splits:

Optimal:

• Vs. RHP:  SS Anderson .710 3B Moncada .806 1B Abreu .869 LF Jimenez .866 DH Grandal .801 CF Robert .616 RF Eaton .799 C. Molina .732 2B Madrigal .750
  • Vs. LHP: SS Anderson .845 CF Robert 1.072 1B Abreu .873  LF Jimenez .810 DH Grandal .763 C Molina .748  3B Moncada .721 2B Madrigal .725  RF Engel .667

Bench: OF Eaton/ Engel; IF Mendick .785 / .566; IF/OF L Garcia .650 / .658 DH A. Vaughn (starts when Grandal catches and other games for Abreu / Grandal days off).

@Capital G - Yes I caught that and was editing before you hit your reply, looking at Engel's 2020 splits vs. career. That said, if Engel's OPS from last year is sustainable, he performed better in 2020 than Eaton's career splits against both LHP and RHP. The fear is Eaton will play 120-140 games under LaRussa, because he is a guy LaRussa knows and likely likes. Engel is the one with promise and should play the 120/140 games if he is performing at or better than Eaton, not vice versa.

I also adjusted the lineups to improve the L/R bunching.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

May as well go all in and bring his BFF Adam Wainwright as well. Has been pitching well, regular and post season, Also gives insurance in case of injury. Stick Grandal with Keuchel and Lynn, Molina catches Giolito, Wainwright, Kopech, Cease and Lopez.

Stats = OPS SP Splits:

Optimal:

• Vs. RHP:  3B Moncada .806 DH Grandal .801 1B Abreu .869 LF Jimenez .866  RF A. Engel .871  SS Anderson .710 CF Robert .616 C. Molina .732 2B Madrigal .750
  • Vs. LHP: SS Anderson .845 CF Robert 1.072 1B Abreu .873  LF Jimenez .810 DH Grandal .763 3B Moncada .721 C Molina .748  RF Engel .698  2B Madrigal .725

Bench: OF Eaton .799 / .682; IF Mendick .785 / .566; IF/OF L Garcia .650 / .658 DH A. Vaughn

Engel isn't the starter against lhp and rhp

4 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Zachary Collins is our backup catcher. Accept this and move on.

The need for depth at Catcher might have more to do with the lack of confidence in Yermin and Zavala . 

The Sox may need a catcher to step in in the event Grandal gets injured or Collins' performance is unacceptable.

6 hours ago, fathom said:

Someone tell Assistant GM Steve Stone that 

After reading his twitter account for a few months, I place Stone in the same credibility column as Bob Nightengale, Chuck Garfien, Bruce Levine and the various food twitter accounts. Disingenuous, not worth the time trying to decipher if they are actually parroting something accurate or whether it's just a ploy for attention.

Also, Steve Stone is a documented liar, not sincere in his comments or pledges as to what he will do. Par for the course with Jerry Reinsdorf and his Old Old Old Boy Network.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

5 hours ago, tray said:

The need for depth at Catcher might have more to do with the lack of confidence in Yermin and Zavala . 

The Sox may need a catcher to step in in the event Grandal gets injured or Collins' performance is unacceptable.

You can still trade for a backup in season. The prospect cost might be marginally higher but still it won't be super high, I don't think you need to part with any of the top5 to get one.

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

You can still trade for a backup in season. The prospect cost might be marginally higher but still it won't be super high, I don't think you need to part with any of the top5 to get one.

Yes. Being Grandal’s back up probably isn’t all that attractive to a free agent. Chances are you aren’t going to get a lot of starts.

I still think they should have traded McCann before last season. Maybe you wouldn’t have got much, but you would have had a better idea about Collins. And it wasn’t as if McCann was going to be the difference of being in a WS or not. I don’t think they will do much more than sign a guy to a minor league deal like the Marlins did with Sandy Leon. They should be able to tell if Collins defense will be enough in spring training, and if not, they will be able to get someone who can call a game and frame for a minor leaguer we will never hear about again.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes. Being Grandal’s back up probably isn’t all that attractive to a free agent. Chances are you aren’t going to get a lot of starts.

I still think they should have traded McCann before last season. Maybe you wouldn’t have got much, but you would have had a better idea about Collins. And it wasn’t as if McCann was going to be the difference of being in a WS or not. I don’t think they will do much more than sign a guy to a minor league deal like the Marlins did with Sandy Leon. They should be able to tell if Collins defense will be enough in spring training, and if not, they will be able to get someone who can call a game and frame for a minor leaguer we will never hear about again.

This is the level I think. ESP since sox can focus on pitching staff handling vs needing offense, there’s a number of guys there, not that many jobs, they’ll be able to get a guy on a minor league deal that offers them protection.

• Like 1