My 5 Favorite WS Players

poppysox

I've been thinking about who my favorite players are on the team as it now stands.  Not the "best" players but my personal favorites.  This team is loaded with players that are skilled, likable, and fun to watch play.  There is nothing to argue about because everyone can "like" anyone they wish.  

I will start off with:  Abreu...Gio...Madrigal...Eloy...Moncada

Anderson - he's another guy that really earned it for me. Wasn't a huge fan of his in the beginning, but the more and more i see of him on and off the field he's my #1

Madrigal - like his attitude and his scrapiness. I also like he's a throwback in a changed game. Just seems very Southside, Bridgeport, White Sox to me. 

Giolito - I like his work ethic, but also like that he's smart outside of the game too. Think he understands the game and has a nice life perspective

Abreu - keeps his head down, plays the game right, loyal. Just the type of guy to get behind

Engel - this last one is a surprise for even me who put this guy down again and again. That being said his hard work and step forward were awesome to see. Love that he's carved out a role on this team as a 4OF for the next season or three. These are the type of guys that i love to see - had the chance being on a shitty team and really worked and made the most of it. 

Write it choice: Cease - this goes back to a podcast i think i listened to about him. I think he was big into yoga and meditation or something. just seemed to have a good perspective on life

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Anderson - he's another guy that really earned it for me. Wasn't a huge fan of his in the beginning, but the more and more i see of him on and off the field he's my #1

Madrigal - like his attitude and his scrapiness. I also like he's a throwback in a changed game. Just seems very Southside, Bridgeport, White Sox to me. 

Giolito - I like his work ethic, but also like that he's smart outside of the game too. Think he understands the game and has a nice life perspective

Abreu - keeps his head down, plays the game right, loyal. Just the type of guy to get behind

Engel - this last one is a surprise for even me who put this guy down again and again. That being said his hard work and step forward were awesome to see. Love that he's carved out a role on this team as a 4OF for the next season or three. These are the type of guys that i love to see - had the chance being on a shitty team and really worked and made the most of it. 

Write it choice: Cease - this goes back to a podcast i think i listened to about him. I think he was big into yoga and meditation or something. just seemed to have a good perspective on life

I considered Engel as well.  Baseball always seems about the stars but an ordinary guy becoming an important role player on the team is a nice story.  He actually is a five-tool guy...just not in the way that term is usually used.

• Like 1

Favorite has always been a bit different to me.  It doesn't have much to do with how good they are, but how much they love the game and entertain fans.  If Yolmer were still on the team, he would be my #1, and was when he was on the roster.

My favorite today is Tim Anderson  He is a raw and authentic guy, who is out there to have fun and escape the world.

Also a huge fan of Jose Abreu.  The guy realizes how lucky he is in life, and is doing everything he can to spread that love and luck to other players.

Eloys just pure joy around the game is addictive.

I know they are also some of the best players on the team, but they would be favorites of mine, no matter what their numbers looked like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MackowiakYakYak said:

We have a pretty likeable team. I'm also an Engel guy and would add Leury as a favorite but with both maybe outside the top 5.

Another interesting question is which players do you dislike? Eaton, Keuchel, and Grandal are the main ones I hear grumbling about. I'm curious who people don't like and why

Eaton haha - he's all the characteristics I like in my players - the competitiveness, grit, etc. -- really the whole reason i chose anderson, madrigal, etc. -- except he's a dick about it & to his teammates. Now obviously we don't know enough about it, but i think there's enough smoke in his interactions over the years to draw at least some conclusions. 

Outside of that? Can't really think of anybody. I'll say anybody who's a dick to their family would be near the top of my list. I used to see these guys out at the bar back in the day and I'll say Paulie was awesome ... some of the other guys? I'd be surprised if they're still married. Lost a lot of respect for a bunch of those guys. But at the end of the day there's a bunch of shitty things going on and I just wanna see good ball. So as long as your respectful and try hard I like the guys. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have a pretty likeable team. I'm also an Engel guy and would add Leury as a favorite but with both maybe outside the top 5.

Another interesting question is which players do you dislike? Eaton, Keuchel, and Grandal are the main ones I hear grumbling about. I'm curious who people don't like and why

Madrigal is far and away the most hated homegrown player here

• Like 1

At this point I don't really have any players that I don't like.  TLR and Boston are the ones I would love to get rid of.  Those histories are horrible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

At this point I don't really have any players that I don't like.  TLR and Boston are the ones I would love to get rid of.  Those histories are horrible.

TLR - forgot about him. Yes, probably easily my least favorite. Reinsdorf too if we're going non-players. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Of the five I listed as least favorite, Eaton is the only player I dislike and hope doesn’t report, based on his toxicity over the years, picking up where he left off with his introductory interview on the team’s flagship. He is led by children, and is a certified asshat.

I’m OK with Dallas Keuchel as a person, if Tim Anderson is. Would like to hear Dallas has made amends in Spring Training for his comments made during the off-season. As a pitcher, he sucked ass in Oakland, and if he can’t improve in the post season, I hope he doesn’t reach 160 IPs the next two seasons and lock in $20M as a 35 year old in 2023.

Madrigal is listed because of his mental errors. He is a rookie, so he should / must improve in that area. Not sure why he is hated by others, he performs well with his talents / abilities otherwise, plays with passion. Just needs to follow coaching signs and stick to fundamentals.

Grandal reminds me of Roger Dorn in Major League, between his lackadaisical efforts at times, his lack of quality game calling management or bothering to catch the baseball. Hahn needs to go down on the field, piss on his contract and tell him he gets paid not just for pitch framing and bat on his shoulder walks.

Lynn is new, so I just like everyone else more since they are here. That said, watching for any signs of a LaRussa Lord of the Flies situation, with him siding with Keuchel and Eaton and against the core we love.

With Cooper gone, Tony and Boston are the only two on the on field staff I want gone, though many also share the same sentiment.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Love 1