Sox still talking with Colome

southsider2k5

If they are going to decide that they cannot afford to pay Hendriks, hope Colome can walk the rope another year?  There are worse things, and this organization is capable of them, so I guess I'm down. There are people that can hopefully wipe it up if Colome shits it up.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

20 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Why would it be overkill to have 2 excellent pen arms?

We aren't living in fantasy land, that's why. The Sox aren't signing Hendriks, Colome AND a quality starting pitcher. Getting another starting pitcher is more important than signing a second top tier relief pitcher. ideally they get Hendriks and then a starter such as Q or Musgrove. 

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

We aren't living in fantasy land, that's why. The Sox aren't signing Hendriks, Colome AND a quality starting pitcher. Getting another starting pitcher is more important than signing a second top tier relief pitcher. ideally they get Hendriks and then a starter such as Q or Musgrove. 

What?

"Sox aren't getting all 3" =/= "Getting all 3 would be overkill."

Edited by RagahRagah

Good, stay in contact with Colome and sign him. Pay him a fair price and keep him. 

Sorry, but I don't understand this "grass is greener on the other side" mentality on this board. 

Colome is clearly, clearly better than Hendriks. Clearly. 

Colome the last two years:

2019 - 30 saves in 33 save opportunities

2020 - 12 saves in 13 save opportunities

Hendricks last two years:

2019 - 25 saves in 32 save chances

2020 - 14 saves in 15 save opportunities

Totals: 

Colome - 42 saves in 46 save opportunities -- four blown saves

Hendricks - 39 saves in 47 opportunities - eight blown saves

In only one more opportunity, Hendricks has blown twice as many games as Colome over the last two years, twice as many. And yet people on this board are clamoring for Hendricks and saying let Colome go. 

I'm too lazy to look. Does anybody have a better save percentage than Colome's  .913% over the last two years? I only looked up Hader, and he doesn't. Does anybody?

And yet, we just want to let Colome walk to another team?? The grass is NOT greener. Pay and keep Colome. This is so obvious. 

Plus the Sox already have two outstanding lefties for finishing games: Bummer and Crochet. 

Don't screw this up. Keep Colome. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Given the payroll constraints the White Sox have, getting all 3 would be overkill. Do you understand?

There's no relevance between those statements. The term overkill is not the correct word to be using here.

And no one said anything about getting all "3," either.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

There's no relevance between those statements. The term overkill is not the correct word to be using here.

And no one said anything about getting all "3," either.

Why are you constantly arguing? Every single thread you find the need to correct someone. Who died and made you the logic police?  You are an anonymous person on a message board, please get a grip. The original commenter simply said that spending the remaining resources on 2 bullpen pieces would be overkill. It makes perfect sense.

Edited by Orlando
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

Good, stay in contact with Colome and sign him. Pay him a fair price and keep him. 

Sorry, but I don't understand this "grass is greener on the other side" mentality on this board. 

Colome is clearly, clearly better than Hendriks. Clearly. 

Colome the last two years:

2019 - 30 saves in 33 save opportunities

2020 - 12 saves in 13 save opportunities

Hendricks last two years:

2019 - 25 saves in 32 save chances

2020 - 14 saves in 15 save opportunities

Totals: 

Colome - 42 saves in 46 save opportunities -- four blown saves

Hendricks - 39 saves in 47 opportunities - eight blown saves

In only one more opportunity, Hendricks has blown twice as many games as Colome over the last two years, twice as many. And yet people on this board are clamoring for Hendricks and saying let Colome go. 

I'm too lazy to look. Does anybody have a better save percentage than Colome's  .913% over the last two years? I only looked up Hader, and he doesn't. Does anybody?

And yet, we just want to let Colome walk to another team?? The grass is NOT greener. Pay and keep Colome. This is so obvious. 

Plus the Sox already have two outstanding lefties for finishing games: Bummer and Crochet. 

Don't screw this up. Keep Colome. 

You make a good argument IMO.  Especially if Hendriks demands the 4 year contract.

12 hours ago, ron883 said:

That’s debatable. Add two top tier bullpen arms and you make each of the bullpen spots below them better. Bullpen almost trumps the rotation in today’s game.

Edited by Vulture

2 minutes ago, Vulture said:

That’s debatable. Add two top tier bullpen arms and you make each of the bullpen spots below them better. Bullpen almost trumps the rotation in today’s game.

Maybe.

But then we'll all get to treasure the sight of Cease walking the fucking yard every 5 days.

12 minutes ago, Vulture said:

It's debatable. Right now we have Cease slotted as the #4, and Kopech as the #5, at some point. Kopech won't be ready right away. They need at least a #4 like Q so we can push Cease down and let Kopech take his time. When you account for future injuries, they definitely need another starter.

Edited by ron883
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Maybe.

But then we'll all get to treasure the sight of Cease walking the fucking yard every 5 days.

You're that down on Cease?? He hasn't even had the equivalent of one full rookie season starting. That just seems way too pessimistic for a young guy with so much promise. You don't think the Sox should be putting him out there again?  Because I sure do; there's so much potential. Any sense at all says you've got to see what Cease and Kopech can do next year. 

4 hours ago, ron883 said:

Given the payroll constraints the White Sox have, getting all 3 would be overkill. Do you understand?

I think the issue is with the literal definition of the word.  Getting Q, Hendriks and Colome all together just puts us closer to being on par with other elite teams.  Overkill here would make more sense if we were already on par with these teams and we were making a move that wasn't necessary at all.

I agree though that getting Hendriks and Colome is a less-than-optimal use of dorf-limited resources.  That's why I pass on giving out what is very likely going to be a bad 4-year deal for Hendriks and focus on bringing back Colome for 1 year guaranteed with an option, then seeking to hedge the bet with a couple fliers on guys like McGee or something who should be cheap.  

Keep in mind Garrett Crochet is better than all of these guys and he'll be in the pen for the stretch run.

17 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

You're that down on Cease?? He hasn't even had the equivalent of one full rookie season starting. That just seems way too pessimistic for a young guy with so much promise. You don't think the Sox should be putting him out there again?  Because I sure do; there's so much potential. Any sense at all says you've got to see what Cease and Kopech can do next year. 

Yeah it's a pretty dumb idea to bring in a new pitching coach who will impart a new philosophy -- the same guy also who can be credited most heavily for turning Giolito from a bust into a potential ace -- and then take away his top guns before he even gets to work with them.

Vote "no" on any proposition that involves trading Cease and/or Kopech ATM.  Give Katz at least 1 year.  Anyone with any sense knows that the ceilings on those guys are so high that if they can be developed to the point of reaching them, or even just coming pretty close, the Sox will have far more value on their hands than any amount of value they will be able to import by trading one of them.

Re: a SP, due to an abundance of quality internal SP depth, the Sox are best offering 1 year guaranteed + 1 year TO to the best guy on the market who will accept it.  Yet that deal is obviously a pretty low-end deal for any of these FAs, so it makes sense that the Sox would have to wait it out a bit, as their targets will likely be looking for 2-3 years guaranteed first.  There is of course the option to try to jump the gun and overpay in a shorter deal ala the Braves and Smyly but the Sox never do that.

3 hours ago, Orlando said:

Why are you constantly arguing? Every single thread you find the need to correct someone. Who died and made you the logic police?  You are an anonymous person on a message board, please get a grip. The original commenter simply said that spending the remaining resources on 2 bullpen pieces would be overkill. It makes perfect sense.

Why would I not point out things that are incorrect?

This is a message forum. People constantly argue. This is nothing new. Complaining about someone arguing on a message forum is oblivious and futile. 

Edited by RagahRagah
  • Haha 1