Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

There is suddenly some real smoke that the Sox may be exploring trades for controllable starting pitchers.

First, we had this series of tweets from our raBBit:

Next, fathom posted this little nugget that he heard from a Steve Stone interview yesterday:

Also, on the radio today, Stoney made it sound like the Lynn trade wasn’t the only high prospect for Major League piece the Sox would make.

Now, the foodies have jumped on the bandwagon with these tweets:

Obviously the foodies could be jumping in off raBBit’s or Stone’s comments, but it’s interesting nonetheless and worth discussing.

Therefore, how would you feel about trading for one of these guys rather than signing a #4 type starter in free agency?  What do you think the cost would be to acquire one of them?

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There is suddenly some real smoke that the Sox may be exploring trades for controllable starting pitchers.

First, we had this series of tweets from our raBBit:

Next, fathom posted this little nugget that he heard from a Steve Stone interview yesterday:

Now, the foodies have jumped on the bandwagon with these tweets:

I am pretty sure, NotSteve, Al cheesy, and portillos, is the same guy.

13 minutes ago, Cashman said:

I am pretty sure, NotSteve, Al cheesy, and portillos, is the same guy.

Unless he’s completely dedicated to tweeting with different styles, at different frequencies than I doubt it. They may work together but they seem totally different.

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I know the Sox and Reds have talked a lot this offseason. 

Do you know if this is true? I’d love Gray! The rotation would be amazing. This is what cheesy tweeted yesterday. I would love if they revisited. 

Sonny Gray would be an awesome addition. No idea on price though. He's owed $10 million per (which is nothing) but Reds are trying to slash payroll. Maybe the Sox take back Barnhart too? If you can headline with Jared Kelley, I'd do it. There's no way Kopech/Vaughn will be involved though. 

The one trade I could see happening is Gray for Cease + Heuer.  The Sox land a legit #2 or #3 starter for the next three years ($10.7M per) that gives them a big four that would rival anyone in the AL.  The Reds gets an immediate replacement for Gray with five years of control & significant upside plus a young, high potential reliever with options all while saving nearly $9M in 2021.

The Sox adding Hendriks would make Heuer much more expendable, although we’d still need another depth starter.  And Cease seems like a guy the Reds would absolutely love, as he’s got all the tools needed to be a legit TOR starter, but needs to make some grip / mechanical adjustments to reduce the cut on his 4 seamer and improve his overall command of the pitch.

9 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Sonny Gray would be an awesome addition. No idea on price though. He's owed $10 million per (which is nothing) but Reds are trying to slash payroll. Maybe the Sox take back Barnhart too? If you can headline with Jared Kelley, I'd do it. There's no way Kopech/Vaughn will be involved though. 

What about Cease?  Seems like a guy the Reds would be all over.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What about Cease?  Seems like a guy the Reds would be all over.

That scares me. Sonny Gray has been really good the last couple of years, but I think Cease is not a guy to give up on right now. There is a chance he can give you what Gray gives you for a fraction of the price and for many more seasons. The Sox need to get him with a fairly normal off season and spring training, and see what the new coach can do for him. I know his k rate dropping alarmed some, but he still has his stuff. I do think if they traded for a back up catcher, Collins would probably be part of what was going the other way as well. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

So the Padres get Two aces in Darvish and Snell and we'd get an old guy with 1 year in Lynn and an injured/mediocre Gray.

Cool. 

Woodruff would be A+ tho. 

Have you seen how good Gray has been the last two years?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

So the Padres get Two aces in Darvish and Snell and we'd get an old guy with 1 year in Lynn and an injured/mediocre Gray.

Cool. 

Woodruff would be A+ tho. 

When did the Padres get added to the AL Central? I missed this 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I wish the goal was to get as good as possible, not just to hopefully be better than 4 small market teams.

Who in the AL has a better roster than the White Sox today? I'd argue nobody at the moment. Of course you want to be as good as possible. The goal is to win the damn division every year though. That gets you in the tournament and gives you a shot to win it all. Why do we care so much about the 2nd best team in the NL West? It's nauseating. 

• Like 2

I have a hard time believing there has been any real discussions for Woodruff. But if Sox can get him it would be incredible.

and re trades vs depth, I have a lot more confidence Jerry will open wallets to re-sign players than sign in new ones of this caliber.

And this will be unpopular but I would rather have Musgrove than Gray

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Who in the AL has a better roster than the White Sox today? I'd argue nobody at the moment. Of course you want to be as good as possible. The goal is to win the damn division every year though. That gets you in the tournament and gives you a shot to win it all. Why do we care so much about the 2nd best team in the NL West? It's nauseating. 

The only reason to care about them is they have some of the players that would make the White Sox better. From the left side of their infield to their new rotation additions.  The White Sox are still short on pitching for a team that thinks it is entering a period of sustained success and multiple championships.The offense was going to probably be fine if they did nothing. Robert should be better, whatever they did in RF even if it was bring Mazara back would have been better. Moncada should be better. DH will be better. I hope they don’t trade Vaughn. Eloy is going to hit a ton of homers. Abreu probably regresses a bit, but offense wasn’t a problem. They still need a reliable starter and probably a closer, and if not a closer, some more bullpen for sure.

Edited by Dick Allen

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

I have a hard time believing there has been any real discussions for Woodruff. But if Sox can get him it would be incredible.

and re trades vs depth, I have a lot more confidence Jerry will open wallets to re-sign players than sign in new ones of this caliber.

And this will be unpopular but I would rather have Musgrove than Gray

I’d rather have Musgrove assuming he comes way cheaper.  I think the Reds will want major league ready pieces for Gray.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

• Quin locked this topic