Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

11 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

What type is the "good prospect?"  

Heard Jared Kelley's name come up. I'm sure many clubs would be very interested in him. 

I am fine with giving up Madrigal/Heuer/plus in a package, but trading our most advanced young pitching prospect is not ideal at this stage. Sox need to clear 40 man roster spots, so I would focus on subtracting from there before dipping into top 10 prospects on the farm. 

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Heard Jared Kelley's name come up. I'm sure many clubs would be very interested in him. 

I am fine with giving up Madrigal/Heuer/plus in a package, but trading our most advanced young pitching prospect is not ideal at this stage. Sox need to clear 40 man roster spots, so I would focus on subtracting from there before dipping into top 10 prospects on the farm. 

I don't think they're going to trade Kelley 6 months after he played a game with other teams so the Sox could land him in the 2nd round. If other teams would have known he'd have signed at that dollar amount, Kelley would have been a 1st round pick. 

Trading Kelley would basically guarantee that a deal like that could never be done again for at least a decade. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If it's a package including Madrigal, Corbin Burnes is my guess. The White Sox have always loved him. I'd do Madrigal, Stiever and Heuer for Burnes in a heartbeat. I'd be interested in Musgrove as well but not for that package. 

I like Burnes, but is he a guy we can trust to stay healthy? I am not so sure he is the kind of pitcher I would give up a haul for. 

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think they're going to trade Kelley 6 months after he played a game with other teams so the Sox could land him in the 2nd round. If other teams would have known he'd have signed at that dollar amount, Kelley would have been a 1st round pick. 

Trading Kelley would basically guarantee that a deal like that could never be done again for at least a decade. 

He got his money, he probably doesn’t care 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I also do not like shipping off such a promising prep arm so early in his development. He certainly has the pedigree to become a top 100 prospect by end of this season if he performs. 

I'd be pretty surprised if he were dealt unless we were receiving a #2 in return. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's not necessarily about him, it's about the unwritten code of sports management ethics. You'd really piss his agent off, for one.

It's a fucking business Jack. These guys know what they signed up for. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, flavum said:

Wainwright and Molina just makes sense if they want to be here.

Would love both of them. You could do a lot worse than a 39 year old Wainwright as your number 5 and a bulldog backup in Molina. Both of course have TLR written all over them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

It's a fucking business Jack. These guys know what they signed up for. 

Yes, and that goes both ways. They'll not be able to get a deal like that again for a long time. 

When someone does you a favor like that and you betray them expect hardball to be played. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's not about him, it's about the unwritten code of baseball ethics. You'd really piss his agent off, for one. 

I do not know if it really matters. Once players sign they are fully aware they can be traded at any time, it is just business. He still gets his money. 

• Like 2

Just now, hi8is said:

Would love both of them. You could do a lot worse than a 39 year old Wainwright as your number 5 and a bulldog backup in Molina. Both of course have TLR written all over them.

Wainwright could be a really solid veteran addition to the backend of the rotation. A John Lackey "light" so to speak that would not require more than a one year deal. 

If he falters, you can go with Kopech/Stiever/etc. 

11 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

I still feel like Molina could get a starting job (he had some reported interest early in the off-season) but I'd be cool with him being a backup.

Never happen, way tooo expensive for Sox backup catcher.  3 predictions have him $9m, 10m, & 12m.

23 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I do not know if it really matters. Once players sign they are fully aware they can be traded at any time, it is just business. He still gets his money. 

Yeah, but they did the Sox a favor because Kelley was a top 15 talent, and they(meaning Kelley and his agent) pulled strings so the Sox could get him in the 2nd round. For a team that has a strict  budget. can they really afford to close doors like that for talent acquisition? Not to mention the self-imposed restrictions the Sox have on amateur talent acquisition. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

The agent only cares about the money 

IIRC slot for the 12th pick was more than Kelley got from the Sox. 

They probably cost themselves money by pulling the stunt that they did. 

My point is that if they trade Kelley, expect agents to play more hardball with the Sox FO. 

"It's a business" is a two way street. That's my point. 

It's fine if they trade Kelley, as long as they're willing to live with the consequences of that decision. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The Padres pushed Cole Wilcox to the 3rd round signed him for $3.3M and just traded him to the Rays.  Teams can and will trade their players whenever they want.  

And Kelley’s stock was falling hard prior to the draft. Sox liked him though and likely gave him more money than any other team thought he was worth.  If you can turn around and use him as a big trade chip, that’s a fantastic use of that draft money.

• Like 2

• Quin locked this topic