Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

11 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

IF we trade for a controllable starter, without trading Kopech or Cease, I do not get the need to extend Lynn..  Just let it play out.  If Cease sucks again, you extend him.  If Cease is good, you pass.

I think if they are confident they that they could extend Lynn, then a 1+1 deal for the likes of Q/Richards/Kluber/Paxton makes more sense instead of going the trade route.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

IF we trade for a controllable starter, without trading Kopech or Cease, I do not get the need to extend Lynn..  Just let it play out.  If Cease sucks again, you extend him.  If Cease is good, you pass.

If he were to sign a 2-year extension, that final year would be a year in which we lose Keuchel (unless his option gets picked up). Plus, too much pitching is a good problem to have and you can always trade someone (even Lynn himself).

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Like 1

We will have Cespedes in a few days who is  pretty much  major league ready so he can take Eatons place in 2020 so no need for Benintendi from Boston. And this
madrigal trade crap is ridiculous and almost as bad as the Vaughn stuff I heard over the last few months. How long before we hear Cespedes name  in trade discussions on here, lol.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SoxSteve said:

We will have Cespedes in a few days who is  pretty much  major league ready so he can take Eatons place in 2020 so no need for Benintendi from Boston. And this
madrigal trade crap is ridiculous and almost as bad as the Vaughn stuff I heard over the last few months. How long before we hear Cespedes name  in trade discussions on here, lol.

wow. LOL

36 minutes ago, SoxSteve said:

I would not bet on Cespedes being able to help the Sox this year.  Sure it is possible,  but the guy hasn't played competitive baseball since he was 21 in the CanAm leagues where he got 19 ABs, where he looked awful and overmatched.  My complete guess is that he slots into A ball somewhere, maybe High A to start with, but the Sox won't know exactly what they have until they get him to camp and seeing real competition in Spring Training.

41 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Really good in 2018, meh in 2019, horrid in 2020.  Lopez for him would be fun, but don't see why the Red Sox would do that.

I would not do this trade.   I think ReyLo has a chance to develop under Katz and serve as the teams long option in the pen if nothing else.   He may or may not be useful in the long term but why trade him for someone who has definitely proven to be worthless?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SoxSteve said:

I bet Cespedes is at Winston-Salem this year. High A ball. The sox, well everybody, will watch to see how that goes. It's been a while since he's played competitively. So may take some time.

5 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Madrigal, Heuer, Kelley, lottery ticket for Burnes?

I honestly would far prefer trading Cease than Kelley.. I get I'm the lone guy here on that though.  I'd love to work as hard as possible around dealing him

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin
  • Like 2

If we were to trade for Burnes, how many innings would he likely have in 2021? Could he start the year and Kopech finish the year in the rotation? 

Based on his time in the majors:

2018 - 38 innings

2019 - 49 innings (Started 4 games)

2020 - 59.2 innings (Started 9 games)

8 minutes ago, SHAH said:

If we were to trade for Burnes, how many innings would he likely have in 2021? Could he start the year and Kopech finish the year in the rotation? 

Based on his time in the majors:

2018 - 38 innings

2019 - 49 innings (Started 4 games)

2020 - 59.2 innings (Started 9 games)

With minors:

2017 - 145.2

2018 - 116.2

2019 - 71.1

2020 - 59.2

Must have been hurt in 2019.

Edited by manbearpuig

28 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

MIC DROP

18 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

*begins refreshing Soxtalk and Twitter obsessively*

I still think signing a free agent is more likely but Corbin Burnes is definitely a “target”. Probably expensive though 

• Like 3

Wow you guys have made me excited that The Sox might actually go out and get an impactful arm. I 100% support that notion over getting some garbarge innings eater like a Quintana type. 

Burnes is a very interesting target... I'd be stoked to get him, but also a bit afraid of the risk there. He really only had the irregular 2020 season where he spiked goodness at a MLB level, but he'd immediately be a guy that you plug into this rotation with Giolito and Keuchel for the next 3-4 years... and hope that he can become an Ace. 

I have no idea why the Brewers would ever want to trade tho... it makes no sense, these guys aren't expensive, they are playing in a division that is completely up for grabs, and burnes/woodruff puts them in contention. They trade one of them and they are out of contention really. Makes no sense to me.

I could see the Reds trading Castillo because they've been crying poor all offseason.

I'd prefer/love to just sign Bauer.

An impactful arm get would be the slam dunk of the offseason for this team. I think they almost need to do it and this offseason is ripe for the picking in that regards. I also honestly think it wouldn't cost as much as what people are projecting in this thread. Look at some of the deals made this offseason. 

As far as Andrew Benintendi goes... I'd definitely be intrigued. I think he can be had for very little and he's shown ability and is still young, also a left hander and I assume a decent/good defender in the OF (exactly what we need to move our statue Eloy into a DH role). 

I'd be really stoked if we could get Beni, it would make me feel 100% better about the Eaton signing. Although, I've seen nothing to state that the White Sox are in on him... I've seen other teams mentioned as suitors. 

Edited by iWiN4PreP

9 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

I think I'd be willing to give up Kelley, Madrigal, and Heuer for a starting pitcher.  You guys have any idea who we could land with a package like that?

Sign Bauer and keep Kelley, Madrigal, and Heuer.

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

• Quin locked this topic