Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

4 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Wow you guys have made me excited that The Sox might actually go out and get an impactful arm. I 100% support that notion over getting some garbarge innings eater like a Quintana type. 

Burnes is a very interesting target... I'd be stoked to get him, but also a bit afraid of the risk there. He really only had the irregular 2020 season where he spiked goodness at a MLB level, but he'd immediately be a guy that you plug into this rotation with Giolito and Keuchel for the next 3-4 years... and hope that he can become an Ace. 

I have no idea why the Brewers would ever want to trade tho... it makes no sense, these guys aren't expensive, they are playing in a division that is completely up for grabs, and burnes/woodruff puts them in contention. They trade one of them and they are out of contention really. Makes no sense to me.

I could see the Reds trading Castillo because they've been crying poor all offseason.

I'd prefer/love to just sign Bauer.

An impactful arm get would be the slam dunk of the offseason for this team. I think they almost need to do it and this offseason is ripe for the picking in that regards. I also honestly think it wouldn't cost as much as what people are projecting in this thread. Look at some of the deals made this offseason. 

The only reason I can think of that teams would trade a Burned/Woodruff/Castillo (other than the Sox taking back money) is to jumpstart a rebuild during/post-pandemic. There's no point in having a #2 while their cheap if you don't intend to compete during that time frame, so you might as well convert them into a package that has Madrigal, Heuer, Kelley, and a flyer.

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

The only reason I can think of that teams would trade a Burned/Woodruff/Castillo (other than the Sox taking back money) is to jumpstart a rebuild during/post-pandemic. There's no point in having a #2 while their cheap if you don't intend to compete during that time frame, so you might as well convert them into a package that has Madrigal, Heuer, Kelley, and a flyer.

And 2 of those guys would help them at the MLB level immediately.

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I guess he could move elsewhere of course, but wouldn't they be more interested in Vaughn? 

They should try and get the best players they can period. Sox disadvantage is a lot of their “expendable” guys have positional limitations.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

They should try and get the best players they can period. Sox disadvantage is a lot of their “expendable” guys have positional limitations.

Absolutely... I think I would have no problem trading Vaughn in a package for Woodruff or Burnes. I'd think Vaughn has more trade value than Madrigal so maybe something like Vaughn+Stevier+lottery ticket ? Idk.... 

5 minutes ago, quickman said:

Is Burnes some kind of all star? Is he potentially better than crochet or kopeck? Why part with Vaughn who in a year could be your starting first baseman for 10 years. Just seems strange.

Burnes put it together in the shortened 2020 season, he has amazing under the radar numbers that could put him as one of the best starters in all of baseball, he had good prospect pedigree if I recall. He's definitely better than Kopech and more reliable than Crochet, but there's also definitely some risk.

Edited by iWiN4PreP
  • Like 1

I think the Sox wait to trade any young players until next off season-especially to help the rotation. Their position player depth is uncertain and so too are the young pitchers (Cease is the best bet to be a set rotation piece, but Kopech, Crochet, Steiver, Lopez-probably a bullpen arm are question marks). We will know more after a year of minor league ball who is close to the show. 

It's not my money, but Bauer won't affect any long term pieces. 

Edited by beck72

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I honestly would far prefer trading Cease than Kelley.. I get I'm the lone guy here on that though.  I'd love to work as hard as possible around dealing him

Trading Cease for Burnes eliminates part of the logic which is having six viable starters next year. And I know everyone is down on Cease, but you don’t deal him without giving Katz a chance to work his magic.  I don’t think some here realize just how damaging Don Cooper was to most of young pitchers.

I am not sure Burnes makes sense, he has never been able to pitch reliable innings as a starter. I know this is a SP thread but if Burnes doesn't give you the innings and Woodruff is out, perhaps Hader is the player the Sox are targeting? That gives the Sox two elite guys in the pen mixed with a lot of cost controlled arms. In this scenario total salaries in the pen 3 seasons from now (2023) would be less than $35-$40 million. 

Edited by LeeElia

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

@Flash - Your day may finally be coming!  Hopefully if a deal comes to fruition the price is much less than you’re anticipating 😉

From your lips to RHs ears. As much as I'd love it, I can't see Brewers trading him and am afraid there would be anarchy if the Sox were to offer the type of package the Brewers might entertain. 

14 minutes ago, LeeElia said:

I am not sure Burnes makes sense, he has never been able to pitch reliable innings as a starter. I know this is a SP thread but if Burnes doesn't give you the innings and Woodruff is out, perhaps Hader is the player the Sox are targeting? That gives the Sox two elite guys in the pen mixed with a lot of cost controlled arms. In this scenario total salaries in the pen 3 seasons from now (2023) would be less than $35-$40 million. 

We already have two elite guys in the pen and potentially three with Crochet.  Trading assets for Hader would be a poor use of resources IMO.

• Quin locked this topic