Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

I don’t get why everyone seems intent on trading Madrigal.    Granted, he doesn’t have power, but we need guys to get on base for the rest of our power hitters to drive home.   He’ll hit .300 plus every year (maybe .320+), strike out little, and provide good defense.   We need players like this to play this role and trading him would leave a hole in our lineup.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, bmags said:

I just can't disagree more. The Brewers made the playoffs last year. They made the playoffs the year before that. They made the playoffs the year before that. The year before that they won 86 games and were in 2nd place.

The white sox at the time hadn't made the playoffs in 8 years. They had finished in 4th place in two years where they were ostensibly competing for the playoffs, not only not being able to compete with an in-its-prime royals team, but getting lapped by an ascending Cleveland team.

And Stearns did all that by a bunch of paperclip moves finding players like Shaw and Aguilar and finding trash heap starting pitchers and getting good seasons out of them.

They looked in bad shape last year, had one of their better players sit out, and made the playoffs.

The entire division around them is imploding. They have the best staff in the division, and an incredible bullpen. They are the same paper clip moves from another playoff year.

And even if they were the white sox, why in teh world would it make sense to take a 2b already in the majors and a reliever as part of your main package?

The only wind of brewers pitchers on the move continues to be unofficial sox personalities. Nobody from milwaukee or nationally has thrown any credence to this.

And I would add, that while the Brewers don't appear good enough on paper to compete with the Dodgers or Padres, you never know.  Especially when you have players like Woodruff and Corbin who could make a dangerous 1-2 and Williams and Hader in the backend.  They even have Yelich who can carry an offense.  They are really one pitcher stepping up away from being really dangerous.  

17 minutes ago, sin city sox fan said:

I don’t get why everyone seems intent on trading Madrigal.    Granted, he doesn’t have power, but we need guys to get on base for the rest of our power hitters to drive home.   He’ll hit .300 plus every year (maybe .320+), strike out little, and provide good defense.   We need players like this to play this role and trading him would leave a hole in our lineup.

It still amazes me so much how many people have blinders on with him.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, poppysox said:

3 of our top 10.

So not paying any attention to the overall quality a team with a horrible farm system, just what # prospects they are is like comparing the Padres system to the Cubs system right now.  The Cubs could trade their top 3 prospects and it wouldn't be as good as 3 guys from San Diego's 11-20.  That's why we use that quality to build.  What irreplaceable part are we losing?  Who in that group has All Star / MVP caliber upside?  That's why I keep scratching my head.......

31 minutes ago, sin city sox fan said:

If he had played good defense since he was drafted, this conversation might not be happening. The White Sox can't afford for him to take years to turn into a good defender.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If he had played good defense since he was drafted, this conversation might not be happening. The White Sox can't afford for him to take years to turn into a good defender.

:chimp

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

But with that offense and without Woodruff or Burnes, they wouldn’t be winning at the end of games all that often.

In 2019, their offense was basically league average. I think its hard to look at 2020 since Yelich wasn't himself last year. Is their offense notably worse than 2019?

10 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

It still amazes me so much how many people have blinders on with him.

I think goes back to the food guys saying the Sox have been shopping Madrigal, and let's face it - the food guys have been accurate on just about everything lately.

I like Madrigal a lot. But if the Sox move him for a young pitcher, and it leads to a loaded rotation, we'll all live and the chances of the Sox going all the way will be increased.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

My God, he's only played 29 games. You act like he's given us years of bad defense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Sarava said:

My God, he's only played 29 games. You act like he's given us years of bad defense.

No, I act like they're willing to move him in a way they wouldn't be if they thought he was going to hit .320 this year with a high OBP and excellent defense. Moving him creates a hole where they will have to spend money to fill it - they wouldn't think of that unless they were certain that it makes this team better. If Madrigal could be a 3 win player this year, which he would be at the very least if his defense was strong and he hit .320, moving him and Heuer for Burnes (who is projected as a 2.7 win pitcher by Steamer) would have a decent shot of making the team worse. 

Sox need another reliable starter if Burnes is that guy works for me! Madrigal may be a great balance for the lineup but so are Tommy La Stella/Kolten Wong.

I’d also much rather have Burnes than any of the free agent starters outside of Bauer. 

40 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

So not paying any attention to the overall quality a team with a horrible farm system, just what # prospects they are is like comparing the Padres system to the Cubs system right now.  The Cubs could trade their top 3 prospects and it wouldn't be as good as 3 guys from San Diego's 11-20.  That's why we use that quality to build.  What irreplaceable part are we losing?  Who in that group has All Star / MVP caliber upside?  That's why I keep scratching my head.......

The names being tossed around for Burnes include Madrigal, Kelley, Heuer, and Stiever.  All of them with AS potential.  No one thought McCann had AS potential but they were wrong.  Bottom line...I am not anxious to trade prospects when similar guys are available in free agency.

52 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I think goes back to the food guys saying the Sox have been shopping Madrigal, and let's face it - the food guys have been accurate on just about everything lately.

I like Madrigal a lot. But if the Sox move him for a young pitcher, and it leads to a loaded rotation, we'll all live and the chances of the Sox going all the way will be increased.

I'm not in any way denying they might be or even that it would be worth moving him. It's just that people around here don't give him enough credit at all.

26 minutes ago, poppysox said:

The names being tossed around for Burnes include Madrigal, Kelley, Heuer, and Stiever.  All of them with AS potential.  No one thought McCann had AS potential but they were wrong.  Bottom line...I am not anxious to trade prospects when similar guys are available in free agency.

Every player has AS potential on any given year. Does that mean keep the same team every year? 

1 minute ago, Baron said:

Every player has AS potential on any given year. Does that mean keep the same team every year? 

Nope...it means what I said.  "I am not anxious to trade prospects when similar guys are available in FA."

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

As we've already established. This just isn't true.

Amd 29 games = years?

Edited by RagahRagah

7 minutes ago, Orlando said:

If the Sox somehow get the Brewers to trade Burnes, Rick Hahn would instantly become a legend. That would make this offseason better than last by a lot IMO.

I agree but I would rather they sign a SP instead and just save the assets. However, if they trade for Burnes I will be happy and it will be a very successful offseason more so than last year. If the Brewers include another player in the trade that would be an added bonus. 

Edited by maloney.adam

• Quin locked this topic