Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

He gave us years of bad defense in those 29 games!  😁

He was a GREAT defensive player in college and I see know reason why he can't be a great defensive player in the pro's. See Moncada  and Abreu as players who improved defensively. And yes the trade talk is insane.

4 minutes ago, SoxSteve said:

He was a GREAT defensive player in college and I see know reason why he can't be a great defensive player in the pro's. See Moncada  and Abreu as players who improved defensively. And yes the trade talk is insane.

Played with a bum shoulder for a lot of his games too. It wasn't his throwing arm, but I'd like to see how he plays while he is healthy.

16 minutes ago, Baron said:

You probably should of just went with that. First premise was silly. 

That was in my first answer to the question being asked.  You just focused on the first part of my answer instead of the entire answer.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

That was in my first answer to the question being asked.  You just focused on the first part of my answer instead of the entire answer.

I just found it amusing you put potential all star next to every prospect. That goes for another player in the league. Half or more of those prospects won't be all stars. We're at the point were they can deal those guys as long as we win. Not all of these guys are going to be playing for the White Sox. 

9 minutes ago, Drake Is Our Leader said:

https://nypost.com/2021/01/13/mlbs-dh-fight-holding-up-mets-offseason-sherman/

It's nothing but just to note...this article floated the idea that the Mets could pursue a trade for Engel.

Whoever this writer is is stupid.  Dom Smith over Alonso?  I stopped reading after that.

5 minutes ago, Baron said:

I just found it amusing you put potential all star next to every prospect. That goes for another player in the league. Half or more of those prospects won't be all stars. We're at the point were they can deal those guys as long as we win. Not all of these guys are going to be playing for the White Sox. 

I was asked which of those players had the "potential" to be all-stars.  I of course don't believe they "will" all be all-stars.  As so often happens here on Soxtalk...an innocent remark is taken way too seriously and back and forth we go.

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

The names being tossed around for Burnes include Madrigal, Kelley, Heuer, and Stiever.  All of them with AS potential.  No one thought McCann had AS potential but they were wrong.  Bottom line...I am not anxious to trade prospects when similar guys are available in free agency.

I love having talks like this.  You make me really think about stuff.  Of the 4 guys mentioned in trade talks for a package like this (Gray, Castillo, Burnes, Woodruff), who available in free agency not named Trevor Bauer comes with the current success or upside of any of these 4?  There aren't any unless I'm totally boneheading it (which I may be:)).  Just as an example here are comparisons metric wise to guys available:

Jose Quintana - Cole Hamels, Eric Lauer, Ross Detwiler - of 13 categories they measure, he is above 50% in 2, BB% and barrel

Garrett Richards - German Marquez, Zack Wheeler (excellent velocity and spin.....maybe, but what is the price when average schmucks are getting $10-$12 million?)

Now on the other hand:

Corbin Burnes - Yu Darvish, Walker Beuhler, Zack Wheeler - in the RED in 11 of 13 categories

Sonny Gray - Red in 12 of 13 categories

Luis Castillo - 12 of 13

Brandon Woodruff 12 of 13

That's why when you can get guys like this for $5 million on down for 3-4 years in my opinion you give up bats that are not elite, relievers, and SP you don't know about because you have a plethora of them.  I honestly look forward to your rebuttal because I think this is fun!  To me, the Sox still have about $20-$25 million they may "safely" spend.  If it takes $12 million to get an ok #4 we aren't getting much else of value.   If we make a trade for a guy like these, all of a sudden you have another $15 million to get a legit bat (or maybe only $7-$8 million if you sign LaStella IF they trade Madrigal).  I for one am for this plan

2 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

Now on the other hand:

Corbin Burnes - Yu Darvish, Walker Beuhler, Zack Wheeler - in the RED in 11 of 13 categories

Sonny Gray - Red in 12 of 13 categories

Luis Castillo - 12 of 13

Brandon Woodruff 12 of 13

You know who else is red for 11 of 13 categories?  Musgrove.  And he won't cost nearly what those other guys would cost in a trade.

6 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

You know who else is red for 11 of 13 categories?  Musgrove.  And he won't cost nearly what those other guys would cost in a trade.

True.  I was just going off the 4 names most mentioned lately but I agree that would be a slick trade even more so.....I'm wondering what that takes.....would it be much less???

This old but could be what NSC is talking about today.

Edited by striker

23 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I would not bet on Cespedes being able to help the Sox this year.  Sure it is possible,  but the guy hasn't played competitive baseball since he was 21 in the CanAm leagues where he got 19 ABs, where he looked awful and overmatched.  My complete guess is that he slots into A ball somewhere, maybe High A to start with, but the Sox won't know exactly what they have until they get him to camp and seeing real competition in Spring Training.

I meant 2022. sorry

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

nypost.com is the NYPost and Joel Sherman is a good national baseball writer.

OOps. Read it wrong. I blame it on old and aged eyes. However he is still way off base in the article. 

Edited by ptatc

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

OOps. Read it wrong. I blame it on old and aged eyes. However he is still way off base in the article. 

I think you guys are being silly. Dom Smith has been better than Alonso, and he was incredible last year. But it's not serious about Alonso should be demoted, it's just pointing out the mets roster crunch + mlb's foot dragging in getting team's roster certainty for a season that starts in a month. Something's gotta give.

The Mets at this point know they can't re-do last season with Nimmo in center, but they have a surplus of very good corner offensive corner OF/1b types.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I think you guys are being silly. Dom Smith has been better than Alonso, and he was incredible last year. But it's not serious about Alonso should be demoted, it's just pointing out the mets roster crunch + mlb's foot dragging in getting team's roster certainty for a season that starts in a month. Something's gotta give.

The Mets at this point know they can't re-do last season with Nimmo in center, but they have a surplus of very good corner offensive corner OF/1b types.

Silly is my middle name this time of year, especially this year. With the semester starting next week, I've spent the last few days recording lectures, deleting them because I sound stupid and re-recording them.

• Quin locked this topic