Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

41 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

I love having talks like this.  You make me really think about stuff.  Of the 4 guys mentioned in trade talks for a package like this (Gray, Castillo, Burnes, Woodruff), who available in free agency not named Trevor Bauer comes with the current success or upside of any of these 4?  There aren't any unless I'm totally boneheading it (which I may be:)).  Just as an example here are comparisons metric wise to guys available:

Jose Quintana - Cole Hamels, Eric Lauer, Ross Detwiler - of 13 categories they measure, he is above 50% in 2, BB% and barrel

Garrett Richards - German Marquez, Zack Wheeler (excellent velocity and spin.....maybe, but what is the price when average schmucks are getting $10-$12 million?)

Now on the other hand:

Corbin Burnes - Yu Darvish, Walker Beuhler, Zack Wheeler - in the RED in 11 of 13 categories

Sonny Gray - Red in 12 of 13 categories

Luis Castillo - 12 of 13

Brandon Woodruff 12 of 13

That's why when you can get guys like this for $5 million on down for 3-4 years in my opinion you give up bats that are not elite, relievers, and SP you don't know about because you have a plethora of them.  I honestly look forward to your rebuttal because I think this is fun!  To me, the Sox still have about $20-$25 million they may "safely" spend.  If it takes $12 million to get an ok #4 we aren't getting much else of value.   If we make a trade for a guy like these, all of a sudden you have another $15 million to get a legit bat (or maybe only $7-$8 million if you sign LaStella IF they trade Madrigal).  I for one am for this plan

I imagine it just depends on how badly we need a Burnes vs the value we place on Madrigal and Heuer on the current roster along with the future of Kelley and Stiever.  Since we can find adequate #4 from the list you mention...I wouldn't be inclined to make that trade.  Our 4 guys are all cheap with lots of upsides as is Burnes.   It's doesn't have the advantage in unloading expensive vets for a young gun.  I do understand some of you think nothing of Madrigal but we will just continue to disagree on that one.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Playing on turf covers up a lot of shortcomings (pun intended?)

It does some but it is also harder in ways too. The ball travels much faster on artificial surfaces so you need to have faster reaction time and be quicker to the ball. He did win a gold glove in the minors. Not that means everything but he must have done at least a good job on fields that are historically much harder to play on than the MLB ones.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I can also predict something will happen fast - there's only 4.5 weeks until pitchers and catchers report, *of course* things need to heat up now.

People have been saying things will happen fast all across the league since the winter meetings. So I hope you are right! 

7 minutes ago, Orlando said:

People have been saying things will happen fast all across the league since the winter meetings. So I hope you are right! 

Literally nothing happened today besides Pedro Baez

Edited by fathom

13 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Yup. There was actually a report saying that the signing of Hendriks may SLOW the market 🤦🏻‍♂ 

I know it’s ridiculous. There are a ton of free agents on the market and watch some of them will still not be signed before the season starts. Lol 😂

Edited by maloney.adam

3 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Yup. There was actually a report saying that the signing of Hendriks may SLOW the market 🤦🏻‍♂ 

For all the owners who cried poor, to see Jerry of all owners give out the richest contract ever for a reliever I’m sure has free agents pumped and some owners annoyed, I could see it being a long standoff again but sooner or later the dam is gonna break, right?

3 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

For all the owners who cried poor, to see Jerry of all owners give out the richest contract ever for a reliever I’m sure has free agents pumped and some owners annoyed, I could see it being a long standoff again but sooner or later the dam is gonna break, right?

I have no idea. If I was asked during the Winter Meetings if 85% of the free agent market would still available and the White Sox had the largest free agent signing by January 13th id say you were crazy. So that’s I when Al says it should happen fast I don’t take it as a “duh there is 5 weeks left” type tweet. He said the same about Hendriks and it was fast as compared to the rest of the league. It’s a joke. 

Edited by Orlando

5 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I have no idea. If I was asked during the Winter Meetings if 85% of the free agent market would still available and the White Sox had the largest free agent signing by January 13th id say you were crazy. So that’s I when Al says it should happen fast I don’t take it as a “duh there is 5 weeks left” type tweet. He said the same about Hendriks and it was fast as compared to the rest of the league. It’s a joke. 

It truly is a joke. It's hard to pinpoint what's going on besides making the obvious assumption that the owners are trying to make a point on how much Covid hurt the bottom line. To that end they must be really hoping the long wait drives FA prices into the ground. You could probably make 4  decent 5 man SP rotations with all the SP left.

15 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Oh yeah the Sox seem to be acting with urgency which is good and bad (Eaton) to see. If they can quickly get another SP and assuming it would cost Madrigal, my guess is they have his replacement in mind already, get whomever it is picked up and then can afford to wait out the DH role for a little bit (hopefully Ozuna) they’re in good shape 

Edited by Rey21

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It truly is a joke. It's hard to pinpoint what's going on besides making the obvious assumption that the owners are trying to make a point on how much Covid hurt the bottom line. To that end they must be really hoping the long wait drives FA prices into the ground. You could probably make 4  decent 5 man SP rotations with all the SP left.

That's why I'm against trading for a pitcher at this point. Just sign Q and roll with what we got. You can always trade at the deadline. 

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

That's why I'm against trading for a pitcher at this point. Just sign Q and roll with what we got. You can always trade at the deadline. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think the Sox are seeking a trade but a trade on their terms. I think they will have a hard time doing that and ultimately end up signing a starting pitcher.

You like Q and I don't really really understand why and I like Taijuan Walker.

38 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

I’m sure this was dealt with somewhere else, but how exactly is $50 million the largest contract in history for a reliever when Chapman signed originally for 5/$86 with an opt out?

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I’m sure this was dealt with somewhere else, but how exactly is $50 million the largest contract in history for a reliever when Chapman signed originally for 5/$86 with an opt out?

You have to really do some mental gymnastics to make it true, but I'm almost positive the people saying biggest reliever contract ever mean that it's $54 mil guaranteed, even if he pitches three years for the Sox.  In that case, he technically has the highest AAV of any reliever ever.

36 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

My guess is they are looking at it as 3/54 and coming up with 18m/yr.

• Quin locked this topic