Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

Kopech, Thompson, and Kelley for Castillo

Is that enough? Too much?

That deal would ruin the future if the Sox. That would be worse than the deal involving he who must not be named. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ptatc said:

That deal would ruin the future if the Sox. That would be worse than the deal involving he who must not be named. 

Luis Castillo is 28 and a top 15 pitcher plus it’s not like they can’t sign/draft pitchers going forward. Castillo helps you win now and in the future. 

53 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

What is the Yankees system like these days? Do they have a top flight player they could move in a deal like that?

Looks like Frazier and 2-3 of their top pitching prospects in their top 5 but not Jasson.  In Sox speak that’s Madrigal (not here because they have DJ), one of the big 3 and Stiever/Heuer.  We can’t do that but signing an $8 million #4 ain’t getting it done.  Avoid the top 3 and go get someone.  Understand it’s gonna cost 3-4 guys though if you won’t give your best.  Time to make the tough decisions since we won’t spend anymore 

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

I have mad respect for you patc, but this an absolutely ridiculous post.  He who must not be named is on a HoF trajectory and Luis Castillo is actually awesome.  I’m not even saying I’d be for the trade, but comparing that to what might go down as one of the worst trades in baseball history is hyperbole at its finest.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I have mad respect for you patc, but this an absolutely ridiculous post.  He who must not be named is on a HoF trajectory and Luis Castillo is actually awesome.  I’m not even saying I’d be for the trade, but comparing that to what might go down as one of the worst trades in baseball history is hyperbole at its finest.

You'll need to wait and see. 3 top pitching prospects for a single pitcher has the makings of an even worse trade.  

What would be more valuable, 3/5 of a starting rotation or a single position player, regardless of how good he is?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

You'll need to wait and see. 3 top pitching prospects for a single pitcher has the makings of an even worse trade.  

What would be more valuable, 3/5 of a starting rotation or a single position player, regardless of how good he is?

And even if all three hit, which would defy all odds, you’d still have Luis Castillo for three years vs. a broken James Shields.  Still not comparable.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rey21 said:

I don’t agree though, Castillo is one of the 15 best pitchers in baseball and gives you arguably the best rotation in the game then and gives you a shot to win a World Series not only this year but for the next 3 years. Vaughn may be really damn good but he still needs some time and could end up being a bust. 

I don't care if he's the best pitcher in baseball, he only has 3 years of control. Giving up pieces that are supposed to be key pieces of your rebuild for pieces that will be in a different uniform in very short order is a great way to shorten your contention window.

5 hours ago, Rounding_Third said:

Dad?  Is that you?

Huh?

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

Kopech, Thompson, and Kelley for Castillo

Is that enough? Too much?

WAY too much for the Sox to give up. If that's the price, stay out.

1 hour ago, Rey21 said:

Luis Castillo is 28 and a top 15 pitcher plus it’s not like they can’t sign/draft pitchers going forward. Castillo helps you win now and in the future. 

3 years of control. He's gone in 2023, likely right when Andrew Vaughn would be winning MVP for the Reds.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And even if all three hit, which would defy all odds, you’d still have Luis Castillo for three years vs. a broken James Shields.  Still not comparable.

What were the odds that he must not be named would turn into what he did? At the time if the trade few even knee of him and no one has seen him.

If they do that trade those are pretty much all of their top pitching prospects. They would have Vera and dalquist. It would decimate any chance if a competitive team in 3 years.

Edited by ptatc

12 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

What happened to the Musgrove rumors? Musgrove for Steiver and Thompson sounds pretty good.

The price is probably really high still. Cherington has to aim high because the only way they will eventually win is with good prospects since they cannot spend with that owner.

He may hold on to him till the deadline if he doesn't get his price. 

It's funny to me how all these anti-Bauer people who use his 2019 against him and don't want to count his 2020 also want to give up the farm for Luis Castillo, a pitcher for whom the best argument for giving up the farm is his 2020. So 2020 counts for Castillo, but not Bauer? Why not just give up money for Bauer and keep all the talent in house?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Just sign the best FA pitcher JR is willing to pay.  I much prefer to give up money instead of players.

I thought I saw somewhere we only had 15m left and were offering SPers 8m (presumably so as to leave 7m for La Stella) but the targets out there wanted 10m (I think the foodies said this latter part).

Maybe that explains why they were trying to move ReyLo cause opening up that extra 2m would make a difference.

7 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

It's funny to me how all these anti-Bauer people who use his 2019 against him and don't want to count his 2020 also want to give up the farm for Luis Castillo, a pitcher for whom the best argument for giving up the farm is his 2020. So 2020 counts for Castillo, but not Bauer? Why not just give up money for Bauer and keep all the talent in house?

1. That type of contract will be the end of any FA acquisitions for the next 3 years because of what it will do to their budget.

2. Long term deals to pitchers are very risky.

3. The guy still insists he wants to pitch every 4th day and i wouldn't want to disrupt the other pitchers in the rotation just for him.

Edited by ptatc

• Quin locked this topic