Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

54 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And this is where Reinsdorf’s cheapness is beyond appalling.  Instead of being able to add a starter at $10M and say La Stella at $7M, we now have to pivot to D tier starters in free agency or empty our prospect cupboard because Jerry won’t fund an extra $2M.  Fuck that clown.

Thats why they need to move ReyLo even for nothing, to get the 2m off the books so they can make the 10m SP and 7m Tommy La Stella work. Im shocked he hasn't been moved yet now that the salary is in place. 

4 minutes ago, Vulture said:

If the Sox wanted to move Lopez for nothing they would’ve just nontendered him.

Possibly...but perhaps RH felt he could get something for him at the time. 

He still might. Maybe he wants to see if one of those pitchers will bite at 8m before being forced to give away RL for some scrub prospect in order to make the money work.

46 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Thats why they need to move ReyLo even for nothing, to get the 2m off the books so they can make the 10m SP and 7m Tommy La Stella work. Im shocked he hasn't been moved yet now that the salary is in place. 

I personally think Lopez is quite valuable at $2M and would rather keep him.  He’s cheap depth who can hopefully eat a lot of innings if other things go wrong.  Jerry should just foot an extra $2M and not force us to trade off inexpensive depth pieces.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I personally think Lopez is quite valuable at $2M and would rather keep him.  He’s cheap depth who can hopefully eat a lot of innings if other things go wrong.  Jerry should just foot an extra $2M and not force us to trade off inexpensive depth pieces.

They paid Rodon $8.65 million over 2 years for less.

1 hour ago, Dam8610 said:

1) You're making the argument for signing Bauer for me. Everything you mentioned in this point is a great reason to sign Bauer and bring more long term stability to the rotation.

2) That kind of thinking will lose you a World Series in today's game. Get 4 SP and have the depth to rest and replace as needed. Also getting Bauer makes the Top 3 better.

3) The character risk thing is overblown and at the very least far outweighed by his talent.

It's not about "right away", it's about the cost of replacing all the talent that would be gone at the end of 2023. Or are we just tearing it all down at the end of 2023?

Guys up in '23:

Giolito(as of right now, I hope they are able to agree on an extension this spring, but if it doesn't happen the Sox have a hard decision to make in 23)

Grandal

Keuchel (if his option vests) 

I also believe Anderson is up in '24 and Moncada in '25. 

The more I think about this, the more I think there's a 3-4 year window and fuck 2025 and later. 

32 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Guys up in '23:

Giolito(as of right now, I hope they are able to agree on an extension this spring, but if it doesn't happen the Sox have a hard decision to make in 23)

Grandal

The more I think about this, the more I think there's a 3-4 year window and fuck 2025 and later. 

Well, it’s a 3 year window right now, but who knows what moves happen until then. You should draft and sign a few top 30 prospects by then just by random chance even if you’re not good at those things. People will get hurt. Robert could be...well...Godlike. 

The goal right now is to win a title in the next 3 years. If they win one, you’re talking about a franchise that looks like a different beast in contracts. After that, you figure that out as things develop.

Put the best team on the field we can the next 3 years. I question whether giving up Dunnings 3 cheap years makes sense in that goal, but if Lynn is as good as he was in 2019 then it works. Hendricks closing is perfect, can offer zero complaints do that more. Eaton...well...god help us I got no excuse for that.

52 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Guys up in '23:

Grandal

Don't get impatient now. They went through a 4 year rebuilding process and can really extend that window of competitive teams with the recent drafts and international signings.

2 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Trade Reylo for Anthony Bemboom. Angels just signed Suzuki to pair with Stassi, Bemboom solves the back up catcher issue while complementing Grandal. puts 1.7M on the table and opens a spot for Crochet, if theyre not going to start him on the farm.

2 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

1) You're making the argument for signing Bauer for me. Everything you mentioned in this point is a great reason to sign Bauer and bring more long term stability to the rotation.

2) That kind of thinking will lose you a World Series in today's game. Get 4 SP and have the depth to rest and replace as needed. Also getting Bauer makes the Top 3 better.

3) The character risk thing is overblown and at the very least far outweighed by his talent.

It's not about "right away", it's about the cost of replacing all the talent that would be gone at the end of 2023. Or are we just tearing it all down at the end of 2023?

Any of much I wanted Bauer that’s not happening. So everything is your pushing for is just a pipe dream with JR being the owner. So what do you do then? Build a team that’s good enough to make the playoffs the next 5-6 year but not good enough to compete with the Yankees, Dodgers of the world, or strengthen your core for the next 3 years and put the team in the best position to win?

• Like 1

I am skeptical of the rumored $15M remaining budget and $8M hard cap on a starter, I just think it may be a ploy by the Sox to get Q or Richards to come down on the price.

It’s a little strange that we’re carving out $7M for La Stella as if he’s a done deal. What if he wants more? And if he wanted $7M and Sox are willing to meet the price why isn’t it a done deal yet? If he signs elsewhere, who is even left that you would spend $7M at DH for?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I am skeptical of the rumored $15M remaining budget and $8M hard cap on a starter, I just think it may be a ploy by the Sox to get Q or Richards to come down on the price.

It’s a little strange that we’re carving out $7M for La Stella as if he’s a done deal. What if he wants more? And if he wanted $7M and Sox are willing to meet the price why isn’t it a done deal yet? If he signs elsewhere, who is even left that you would spend $7M at DH for?

I agree with this.

40 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I totally expect next week we start seeing names like Mike Fiers, Julio Teheran, Brett Anderson, J.A. Happ and Jake Arrieta tossed into the Foodies Twitter salads for Sox fans consumption.

images (1).jpeg

5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I totally expect next week we start seeing names like Mike Fiers, Julio Teheran, Brett Anderson, J.A. Happ and Jake Arrieta tossed into the Foodies Twitter salads for Sox fans consumption.

Man will I be pissed if they resort to that level of starter.  I’d literally rather have them go with Lopez as our interim #4 and use that $3M to $5M towards Nelson Cruz as DH.  This feels like Gio Gonzalez all over again and that’s simply not acceptable at this stage of our competitive window.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Man will I be pissed if they resort to that level of starter.  I’d literally rather have them go with Lopez as our interim #4 and use that $3M to $5M towards Nelson Cruz as DH.  This feels like Gio Gonzalez all over again and that’s simply not acceptable at this stage of our competitive window.

It’s the level they’ve had the least success last decade

• Like 1

• Quin locked this topic