Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Not sure what he means “forthcoming White Sox moves will make more sense” in regards to Crochet when he suggests Quintana & Richards are primary targets.

Instead of being a lock down 6th or 7th inning guy....Crochet can be the middle 3 innings guy when the 4 and 5 starters only go 3-4 innings.  Wasting him because "the money" has been spent and we can only shop at the clearance meat department instead of getting a steak

6 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I don’t want to trade our top guys...but if we aren’t trading them what’s the point of targeting a pitcher via trade? Is a best case headline package of Stiever and Thompson really going to return a TOR arm? 

Or should we not give up assets and just sign 1 of several solid back end (with potential for more) rotation arms still available as free agents?

Seems pretty obvious to me...

At this point, you simply sign Quintana or Richards and let your second tier prospects build up their values.  If Stiever’s stuff returns to form and he pitches well in Charlotte, he could be a very nice trade chip to pair with one of the young arms in Kannapolis come July.  Right now, too many of our prospects have suppressed values and it makes trading for a high end starter challenging without including Vaughn or Kopech.

1 minute ago, striker said:

Thoughts on Brault? He had a pretty good year last year and could have some untapped potential. 3yrs of control. ZIPS has him closentonQ and Richards.

He’s not an innings eater. He looked much better as a glorified opener

Lester getting $5M makes it feel like Quintana & Richards should get closer to $10M.  They better find a way to land one of these guys.

Also, random thought, but given all the concerns over Richards’ health, if we signed him I wouldn’t be against forming a Garrett tandem with him and Crochet.  Cap Richards at five innings per start and then give Crochet three afterwards.  If we are going to use Crochet out of the bullpen, I do like the idea of keeping him on a starters schedule and this may be a way to solve that.  And if Richards were to go down at some point, I’d probably just replace him with Kopech and keep the same arrangement going.

55 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lester getting $5M makes it feel like Quintana & Richards should get closer to $10M.  They better find a way to land one of these guys.

Also, random thought, but given all the concerns over Richards’ health, if we signed him I wouldn’t be against forming a Garrett tandem with him and Crochet.  Cap Richards at five innings per start and then give Crochet three afterwards.  If we are going to use Crochet out of the bullpen, I do like the idea of keeping him on a starters schedule and this may be a way to solve that.  And if Richards were to go down at some point, I’d probably just replace him with Kopech and keep the same arrangement going.

I feel like that’s something you do in the minors. If you’re going to do that just send him down and let him start. I’d hate to not have Crochet available for a tight spot in a must win game down the stretch because he threw 3 innings the day before because of some scheduled plan.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I feel like that’s something you do in the minors. If you’re going to do that just send him down and let him start. I’d hate to not have Crochet available for a tight spot in a must win game down the stretch because he threw 3 innings the day before because of some scheduled plan.

This.  It is really bad roster management to lose TWO pitchers for 5 days with a set up like this.

MLB.com just put out an article on the 10 best RH pitching prospects and Kopech isn't on it. He is technically still a prospect isn't he ? Does he still belong on it or has the injury and inactivity pushed him way down that list ? For those who follow prospects what's your take ?

https://www.mlb.com/news/2021-top-10-right-handed-pitching-prospects

14 hours ago, fathom said:

He’s not an innings eater. He looked much better as a glorified opener

The more I think about it, the more I think Mike Leake is a fit.  He'll likely be cheap.  He is a innings eater.  Fairly predictable in the results he will get you.  I think he works in that number 4 slot.  It doesn't seem like the Sox ( or anyone ) has been connected to him, but I think he make a bit of sense.  Beyond Quintana, he may be the most reliable starter, even if he is lacking in the upside of someone like Richards or Paxton, he is much more likely to give you 30 starts and 180+ innings.

41 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

MLB.com just put out an article on the 10 best RH pitching prospects and Kopech isn't on it. He is technically still a prospect isn't he ? Does he still belong on it or has the injury and inactivity pushed him way down that list ? For those who follow prospects what's your take ?

https://www.mlb.com/news/2021-top-10-right-handed-pitching-prospects

I think that’s it exactly. Hard to say someone is still in the top 10 when they haven’t thrown a pitch competitively for two seasons. Doesn’t mean his value or ceiling is any less, but there’s been a whole MiLB season and 2 drafts since he last pitched. Results totally push these guys up and down over potential.

43 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

The more I think about it, the more I think Mike Leake is a fit.  He'll likely be cheap.  He is a innings eater.  Fairly predictable in the results he will get you.  I think he works in that number 4 slot.  It doesn't seem like the Sox ( or anyone ) has been connected to him, but I think he make a bit of sense.  Beyond Quintana, he may be the most reliable starter, even if he is lacking in the upside of someone like Richards or Paxton, he is much more likely to give you 30 starts and 180+ innings.

I like Mike Leake.  He is a small guy and not a strike out type which is probably why no one seems to talk about him.  Like you say...an innings eater.  He would be great as a place holder for Kopech.  Fits the 4/5 spot in the rotation very nicely.  Nice guy for SP depth as we wait for our young guys to mature.

17 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I like Mike Leake.  He is a small guy and not a strike out type which is probably why no one seems to talk about him.  Like you say...an innings eater.  He would be great as a place holder for Kopech.  Fits the 4/5 spot in the rotation very nicely.  Nice guy for SP depth as we wait for our young guys to mature.

I'm kind of shocked no one has mentioned Leake until now.

17 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

I'm kind of shocked no one has mentioned Leake until now.

ahem

On 1/17/2021 at 9:24 AM, bmags said:

Interesting guys to me that could be at that level. Do I think all of these are good signings? No, interesting is a mixture of stories, previous success or previous Sox interest.

Mike Leake - opted out in 2020. Heavy control pitcher who always seemed to be a sox target. Not a guy you’d expect a lot more than innings and hoping for 4.5 ERa. But, could be an interesting guy for Lynn to talk with.

Archer - shoulder could be an issue, but he’s a “get the pirates stink off” guy

Hamels - see status of shoulder. Would likely need to be sold on winning team.

Wainwright- went from joke to a pretty decent option. Again, he wouldn’t get paid like he would other years so would have to want TLR over retirement/cards

Folty - Obviously, if his weight came back and velo looked encouraging, getting that 2018 fb would be incredible

Chatwood/Jimmy Nelson based on injuries.

Assuming Paxton is higher cost

On 1/17/2021 at 1:51 AM, turnin' two said:

I wonder if Mike Leake is an option.  He isn't great, and there isn't a ton of ceiling, but he is reliable, can pitch useful innings, and would probably be cheaper than Q or Richards.  But  I think he could give you similar results to Q, and is certainly more durable than Richards.

Ahem...Ahem...

😉image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

Edited by turnin' two

All you Leake'rs, nice option.  Like him.  Not sure if he'd be any cheaper though.  At least a half dozen of these guys will probably sign for basically the $ give or take a mil unless Q takes a discount with Sox.  Hopefully they find the one who outshines the rest.

• Quin locked this topic