Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

I like Mike Leake.  He is a small guy and not a strike out type which is probably why no one seems to talk about him.  Like you say...an innings eater.  He would be great as a place holder for Kopech.  Fits the 4/5 spot in the rotation very nicely.  Nice guy for SP depth as we wait for our young guys to mature.

= Lots and lots of >6 inning starts.  Lots of guys can have nice inning totals and still not do that consistently.  He does it better than most.  Efficient with his pitches.

4 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

= Lots and lots of >6 inning starts.  Lots of guys can have nice inning totals and still not do that consistently.  He does it better than most.  Efficient with his pitches.

With our offense and BP... give me a guy who can give us 6 reasonable innings and I'll show you a guy with some W's.

36 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t know what it is, but I’m just not a big Marco Gonzalez fan.

Same. Probably part of it is if he goes bad while on Sox you’d be like “oh yeah maybe don’t trade for guys that throw 4 mph”

• Like 1

Id welcome Gonzales on the squad, hes 28 has 4 years left at 29M and a reasonable option with no buy out.

Gonzales + Seager for Stiever, Heuer, Mendick and Dalquist. Sox take on all of seagers contract and his player option since he is traded (15M) 33.5 in total only counts for roughly 14.3 AAV.

Giolito
Keuchel*
Lynn
Gonzales*
Cease

Hendriks
Bummer*
Marshall
Crochet*
Foster
Fry*
Cordero
Lopez

Anderson
Moncada#
Abreu
Jimenez
Seager*
Robert
Grandal#
Madrigal
Eaton*

Collins*
Beckham
Garcia#
Engel

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Same. Probably part of it is if he goes bad while on Sox you’d be like “oh yeah maybe don’t trade for guys that throw 4 mph”

Isn't this really the only critique one could have of him though? And it would be a welcome change from having a bunch of Lopez/Cease types who can throw 97-99 but can't locate 

Here we go again.....I still believe after sources saying Jerry wants to wait on Gio's extension until after the pandemic (just making it more expensive and less likely Jerry does it), the window is from 2021-23.  Gotta go for it now.  I'm going for choice A, sign LaStella or Wong and go get this.  I did find it funny though that choice B was Trevor Cahill and nothing else.  Is Trevor Cahill gonna cost $15 million???????

Edited by Wisebri224
more info
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

I did find it funny though that choice B was Trevor Cahill and nothing else.  Is Trevor Cahill gonna cost $15 million??????

Where do people get the idea that there's $15 million left to play with? I keep seeing that exact number but I don't know where it came from

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Where do people get the idea that there's $15 million left to play with? I keep seeing that exact number but I don't know where it came from

Most of the online foodies and even not Cishek keep hinting they had about $15 million left to play with after Hendriks.  More than likely because that would push them in upwards of $180 million on the luxury tax books (not actual spending) and give them little flexibility moving forward.  

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Problem is he also says no additional hitter would be brought in

That's nonsensical to me that they could absorb Marco Gonzales salary with just heuer/madrigal non-salaries and still sign a LHH but we can only sign Cahill.

So I choose to NOT PLAY

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

Most of the online foodies and even not Cishek keep hinting they had about $15 million left to play with after Hendriks.  More than likely because that would push them in upwards of $180 million on the luxury tax books (not actual spending) and give them little flexibility moving forward.  

Got it, thanks. I hope that's right but it seems optimistic to me

37 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

Here we go again.....I still believe after sources saying Jerry wants to wait on Gio's extension until after the pandemic (just making it more expensive and less likely Jerry does it), the window is from 2021-23.  Gotta go for it now.  I'm going for choice A, sign LaStella or Wong and go get this.  I did find it funny though that choice B was Trevor Cahill and nothing else.  Is Trevor Cahill gonna cost $15 million???????

I honestly think I'd pick B... Gonzalez shouldn't net Madrigal or Kelley.. And those 3 for Burnes, likely is fair, but it's an awfully high price to pay for a guy with no track record.  I'd be wary and pass. Now if you can work around giving Kelley, and instead Stiever or a different HS pitcher, go for it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, fathom said:

Problem is he also says no additional hitter would be brought in

The unspoken assumption is that because of Profar's contract, La Stella is no longer financially viable for us, probably due more to term rather than price, which is why trading for the LHH depth piece is now in the scenario he put out re: trading Madrigal rather than signing one. 

This is why it sucked losing Q at a cheap price. 

Just keep the prospects and Madrigal. Just forget it. Give Richards his 8m or whatever, keep the other 7m for absorbing salary at the deadline and keep the powder dry on other assets so we can see what we need at the deadline. 

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

The unspoken assumption is that because of Profar's contract, La Stella is no longer financially viable for us, probably due more to term rather than price, which is why trading for the LHH depth piece is now in the scenario he put out re: trading Madrigal rather than signing one. 

This is why it sucked losing Q at a cheap price. 

Just keep the prospects and Madrigal. Just forget it. Give Richards his 8m or whatever, keep the other 7m for absorbing salary at the deadline and keep the powder dry on other assets so we can see what we need at the deadline. 

Profar is better than LaStella though. He gives you huge defensive flexibility while being a switch hitter and is still in his prime.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Profar is better than LaStella though. He gives you huge defensive flexibility while being a switch hitter and is still in his prime.

I'm kinda in between on this. He is a better player. 

LaStella is better for the white sox. Profar had an elevated Babip last year, I'm not sure I buy the bat vs. Righties, and his 2019 numbers vs. righties were much worse than vs. lefties.

He's not good defensively, and can't play SS. But we paid 3.5 mill for leury and that wasn't picked up because of his outfield play. He is the only real SS insurance we have. (don't bim teckham me).

• Quin locked this topic