Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

While he’s obviously not as proven, at least Burnes has upside...I’m not buying last year’s small sample size- to me Gonzales is still the 190 inning 4 ERA guy he’s always been. Obviously that’s still a valuable pitcher, but just no way that type of pitcher is worth Madrigal, Heuer, Kelley + more. That’s crazy talk in my opinion. Seager brings nothing to the deal either and completely goes against the logic of budget being the issue. 

I’m not against trading prospects for a piece that can get us to the World Series, but Gonzales ain’t that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wisebri224 said:

Here we go again.....I still believe after sources saying Jerry wants to wait on Gio's extension until after the pandemic (just making it more expensive and less likely Jerry does it), the window is from 2021-23.  Gotta go for it now.  I'm going for choice A, sign LaStella or Wong and go get this.  I did find it funny though that choice B was Trevor Cahill and nothing else.  Is Trevor Cahill gonna cost $15 million???????

This is stupid.

Why do we need to trade Madrigal to get a good starter? Heuer+Kelley+++ should nab a pretty good one on it's own. There's absoulely no way that Gonzales is the same price as burnes and would cost that.

8 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

This is stupid.

Why do we need to trade Madrigal to get a good starter? Heuer+Kelley+++ should nab a pretty good one on it's own. There's absoulely no way that Gonzales is the same price as burnes and would cost that.

Actually think the haul for Gonzalez would be nearly identical. 

Here we go again.....I still believe after sources saying Jerry wants to wait on Gio's extension until after the pandemic (just making it more expensive and less likely Jerry does it), the window is from 2021-23.  Gotta go for it now.  I'm going for choice A, sign LaStella or Wong and go get this.  I did find it funny though that choice B was Trevor Cahill and nothing else.  Is Trevor Cahill gonna cost $15 million???????

Who is our 2B after trade one if we can’t even afford anything better than Cahill?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Pal said:

Actually think the haul for Gonzalez would be nearly identical. 

🤢 Then we shouldn't trade for him. I'd be PISSED if we traded Madrigal for Gonzales. Burnes has the ceiling you want... Gonzales is going to regress. 

Most of the online foodies and even not Cishek keep hinting they had about $15 million left to play with after Hendriks.  More than likely because that would push them in upwards of $180 million on the luxury tax books (not actual spending) and give them little flexibility moving forward.  

The luxury tax payroll figure for 2021 is completely meaningless for us

57 minutes ago, fathom said:

Wonder if you and others that vote for that will still feel that way once Twins make their moves (for example, Tanaka, Cruz and Didi)

Why do you think the Twins have all this heat lined up?   And don’t get me wrong, I’d probably choose option A, but just not sure why you think Twins have a ton of big stuff planned.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why do you think the Twins have all this heat lined up?   And don’t get me wrong, I’d probably choose option A, but just not sure why you think Twins have a ton of big stuff planned.

Just rumors out there connecting them to these avenues

27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The luxury tax payroll figure for 2021 is completely meaningless for us

Having up front tax hit is actually good because the actual contracts are back loaded.  This allows us to dollar cost average some of the extensions so that their average amounts will be below contract values in the years we might actually have to worry about the tax.  

2 hours ago, Wisebri224 said:

Since it would be ridiculous to trade key pieces from both our starting lineup and bullpen plus throw in a future TOR arm for a #4 in our rotation...I pick B.  I would rather have Mike Leake but he wasn't given as an option.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

This is stupid.

I'd rather keep Kelley than Madrigal.  I have spoken,

37 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Cruz just gives me flashbacks of every other DH "solution" we've trotted out there, and I get worried.

If they sign him, I will assume this is his fall off year. The pattern is getting impressive.

14 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Why?

Burnes' stuff is way better.  I get why the Sox would have interest in both, and I do get why the Sox would give up quality ceiling for Burnes, but not so much for Marco.

4 (option for 5) years of cheap control.

• Quin locked this topic