Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

16 minutes ago, Pal said:

4 (option for 5) years of cheap control.

I don't think the Sox would need to give up so much ceiling though in a Marco deal, vs. a Burnes deal.

Marco is far more likely to be gettable with a volume of quality.

E.g. I love Stiever's ceiling, but it's lower than Kelly's and is certainly not Kopech, Crochet or Cease.

Madrigal + Stiever + Dalquist/Thompson + Yolbert Sanchez should be enough for Marco, without having to give up even Kelly's ceiling, much less the other guys.  OTOH MIL is not going to move Burnes for that.

I do agree with you from the Mariners standpoint sort of, because they don't have to actually trade him, and maybe it only makes to trade him if they get more value than he's worth.  If the Sox offered the above package for him, I think the Mariners actually do it though, and if they swapped Yolbert Sanchez for Heuer I think that deal gets done ASAP, in large part because the pieces coming back would be more likely to pay off for the Mariners while they are actually in a contention window.  But I don't think the Sox would offer that much.

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They've been shopping Madrigal to everyone.  Sounds like they're hoping someone circles back to them.  

I'm (perhaps irrationally) worried that if we don't see a Madrigal+ for a SP trade (then sign La Stella), they're just gonna sign Wainwright and that will be it

17 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

I don’t know why people want to trade Madrigal so badly. We need contact hitters in the lineup. 

Sure, but the whole idea of contact versus power gets so oversimplified. While they also hit for power, Eloy is a contact hitter. Tim is a contact hitter. Vaughn will be a contact hitter. You don't need to dedicate lineup spots to guys who have no power in Madrigal/Eaton for the sake of "balance" if you can find hitters who are simply better

Just now, poppysox said:

I don't believe it.  Madrigal has the highest OBP on the team.  RH certainly knows that won't be easy to replace.

You complain about everyone using small sample size for his bad base running and defense, but you conveniently don’t use it for his hitting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, DirtySox said:

I like Madrigal just fine, but if he can headline a deal to acquire a more impactful cost controlled piece, I do it without blinking.

Yep, it’s because I think we all view him as most replaceable of the young guys 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep, it’s because I think we all view him as most replaceable of the young guys 

I just feel like last offseason was the time to shop him, and a few of us on the board were advocating that including you

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

You complain about everyone using small sample size for his bad base running and defense, but you conveniently don’t use it for his hitting.

Madrigal has shown without a shadow of a doubt in his minor league career he can do all of those exceptionally well. You're being intellectually dishonest here.

Edited by RagahRagah

Just now, fathom said:

There aren't many people on this forum that complain less than I do about anything.  Most people think I have a positive attitude about the WS team in general.  I have pointed out the small sample size in many posts...and it's effect on errors, base running, and BA.  I haven't really harped much about those who use those arguments other than state my disagreement in what Madrigals value is.  This forum is about expressing opinions and it is my opinion that Madrigal is and will be a very good ballplayer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Madrigal has shown without a shadow of a doubt in his minor league career he can do all of those exceptionally well. You're being intellectually dishonest here.

He was 43/62 stealing bases in the minors. That’s way too many caught stealings for someone that’s supposed to be an amazing base runner. There were also numerous other outs on the bases he made, and many of us in the minor league threads referenced this.

• Like 1

Judging Madrigal right now as he is what he is is being very shortsighted. And if you did that to all players just starting out, the Sox would probably need a new LF, new 3B, new SS, a few new pitchers, and maybe even a new CF as well. 

What exactly is to be expected from a rookie who gets into about 30 games after spending a month not playing real games but in some sort of camp in Schaumburg? 

If the Sox trade him, they better get something really good. But, if a lot of Soxtalk is to be believed, how could they get anything worthwhile for such a hopeless player? 

• Fire 1

• Quin locked this topic