Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

30 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That is a lot of consternation for someone who mentioned more than once they don't look at it, and don't care.  We have definitely altered the set of reactions over time to better fit what we wanted them for.  The idea was to have there be a little bit more personality within the site, and let's be honest, 98% of the time, they work and are utilized just fine.  The only time they get "noticed" in this manner is when someone is out on a limb and doesn't like being told so.  But at the end of the day, even knowing that there is some reaction to a post is a valid feed back.  Not everyone is going to like your posts, some might even find them ridiculous.  Having a way of giving that information without a personal confrontation isn't the same thing as just confronting someone every single time they are out of line.  Maybe it actually could serve as a reflection point to the person who receives the feedback?  Nah, the other person is the problem, who am I kidding in 2021.

REPUTATION SYSTEM:

-IDC about. I guess it makes it purpose since if we are going to have likes, might as well have them count for something.

EMOJI SYSTEM:

- I like the idea of it and agree it adds flavor to the forum.

-I dislike it being anonymous

-I dislike having multiple values like laugh/fire/etc. for reasons dictated in this thread already.

I'd advise changing the like system to just likes as that will result in less problems. 

I'd suggest taking away the anonymous part as it holds others accountable and it makes it easier to dialogue with people. 

None of these suggestions are personal.

Edited by iWiN4PreP

19 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Guys, you should really spend none of your life worrying about Soxtalk emoji reactions.

How else am I supposed to seek validation? Everyday I wake up, look myself in the mirror, and tell myself I'm going win poster of the day. I plan out my posts to receive maximum engagement. I'm embarrassed when a post gets no reactions. When someone gives me a Loves emjoi that dopamine rush is like heroin. Constantly chasing that high. Don't even get me started when the fire emoji got introduced. 

Fuck I love reactions. 

Edited by YoYoIsMyHero
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2

3 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

REPUTATION SYSTEM:

-IDC about. I guess it makes it purpose since if we are going to have likes, might as well have them count for something.

EMOJI SYSTEM:

- I like the idea of it and agree it adds flavor to the forum.

-I dislike it being anonymous

-I dislike having multiple values like laugh/fire/etc. for reasons dictated in this thread already.

I'd advise changing the like system to just likes as that will result in less problems. 

I'd suggest taking away the anonymous part as it holds others accountable and it makes it easier to dialogue with people. 

None of these suggestions are personal.

-What do you get out of knowing exactly who is reacting to your posts, that won't result in negative problems on the board?  Are you telling me that no one is going to start questioning people about reacts?  If you can promise me that, we  can talk about changes there.

-I see no real reason we only need one react.  Some things are funny.  Some things are like worthy, and others are worth a little more.  Not sure what the problem with having different reacts is there.

-I promise you the system you are describing will results in more problems for admin/mod staff.  In this very thread we already have had one person today losing his mind about his reacts and threatening to call out people who he disagreed with because " Let them continue making asses of themselves. That's fine. I will not stop pointing out how much it makes them look like one. ".  This is EXACTLY why we don't want everyone to be able to see reacts.  We don't need more people engaging in this entitled behavior because they don't like the reacts their posts get.  That isn't the kind of "dialogue" we want here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

funny story, all reactions that exist give you a "+1" to your reputation points. So there are no negative reactions. The confused one didn't even take away, it was just neutral. 

Ok, that one troubles me.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

How else am I supposed to seek validation? Everyday I wake up, look myself in the mirror, and tell myself I'm going win poster of the day. I plan out my posts to receive maximum engagement. I'm embarrassed when a post gets no reactions. When someone gives me a Loves emjoi that dopamine rush is like heroin. Constantly chasing that high. Don't even get me started when the fire emoji got introduced. 

Fuck I love reactions. 

Gave you love then switched to fire cause that's how badass this post is

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

-What do you get out of knowing exactly who is reacting to your posts, that won't result in negative problems on the board?  Are you telling me that no one is going to start questioning people about reacts?  If you can promise me that, we  can talk about changes there.

-I see no real reason we only need one react.  Some things are funny.  Some things are like worthy, and others are worth a little more.  Not sure what the problem with having different reacts is there.

-I promise you the system you are describing will results in more problems for admin/mod staff.  In this very thread we already have had one person today losing his mind about his reacts and threatening to call out people who he disagreed with because " Let them continue making asses of themselves. That's fine. I will not stop pointing out how much it makes them look like one. ".  This is EXACTLY why we don't want everyone to be able to see reacts.  We don't need more people engaging in this entitled behavior because they don't like the reacts their posts get.  That isn't the kind of "dialogue" we want here.

1) From the forums I've been on that have reacts, no one ever questions others in an insulting way if they like someone's post... I guess theoretically it could happen. What I get out of knowing who is reacting is a more personal dialogue and characterization. As it stands now, the like system is mostly meaningless to me with a slight chance that it negatively effects me due to the laughing emoji being used on serious posts. I don't care if my post gets +2 likes or +3 or 0. However, if I am discussing something with someone and that particular person ends up liking my post when we are debating, it helps me find common ground. For instance, I would have liked your post in the quote because you, as an admin, are making an effort to discuss things with me, as a lowly member. Even if I disagree, I respect you for doing that, thus +1 from iWin4Prep and you would know that I am not coming at you with anger. With anonymous likes, that's not possible. 

2) "Like" encompasses all other reacts that are positive. As I've said before in the thread, having a laugh react only serves one purpose: to make fun of someone's serious post. Occasionally, the laugh react works as it should, but in all of those cases, a like react would work perfectly fine as well. 

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

1) From the forums I've been on that have reacts, no one ever questions others in an insulting way if they like someone's post... I guess theoretically it could happen. What I get out of knowing who is reacting is a more personal dialogue and characterization. As it stands now, the like system is mostly meaningless to me with a slight chance that it negatively effects me due to the laughing emoji being used on serious posts. I don't care if my post gets +2 likes or +3 or 0. However, if I am discussing something with someone and that particular person ends up liking my post when we are debating, it helps me find common ground. For instance, I would have liked your post in the quote because you, as an admin, are making an effort to discuss things with me, as a lowly member. Even if I disagree, I respect you for doing that, thus +1 from iWin4Prep and you would know that I am not coming at you with anger. With anonymous likes, that's not possible. 

2) "Like" encompasses all other reacts that are positive. As I've said before in the thread, having a laugh react only serves one purpose: to make fun of someone's serious post. Occasionally, the laugh react works as it should, but in all of those cases, a like react would work perfectly fine as well. 

I completely agree with this.  Like I said earlier, I think the best option is to get rid of the "laugh" and then make it known who reacts to your posts.

P.S.  I am going to throw you a "fire" reaction.

9 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

That kind of contradicts the idea of only having one positive reaction.  If you are looking for "meaning" in the reacts, why would it bother you that you get MORE clarity with a variety of reacts versus just one plain +1 style react?

Also if a person is already posting to you, that gives you WAY more insight to what they are thinking than a +1 reaction does.  They are literally spelling out whatever message they want to respond to you with.

The only difference is that you know who ISN'T responding to you, which if you aren't looking to call them out, what good does that do you?  Again, since we JUST had a person who is actively looking to target people to call out AND is pissed off at the reactions they are getting, it isn't a very large leap to expect that person to start calling out people who gave him a react that he got his feelings hurt by.  And trust me when I say, he isn't alone.

All publicizing reactions does is allow people to actively target and bully people who they don't like their reactions from, when they could just take the hint.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That kind of contradicts the idea of only having one positive reaction.  If you are looking for "meaning" in the reacts, why would it bother you that you get MORE clarity with a variety of reacts versus just one plain +1 style react?

Also if a person is already posting to you, that gives you WAY more insight to what they are thinking than a +1 reaction does.  They are literally spelling out whatever message they want to respond to you with.

The only difference is that you know who ISN'T responding to you, which if you aren't looking to call them out, what good does that do you?  Again, since we JUST had a person who is actively looking to target people to call out AND is pissed off at the reactions they are getting, it isn't a very large leap to expect that person to start calling out people who gave him a react that he got his feelings hurt by.  And trust me when I say, he isn't alone.

All publicizing reactions does is allow people to actively target and bully people who they don't like their reactions from, when they could just take the hint.

What is the downside of eliminating the laugh reaction, keeping the variety of the rest, and making it known who reacts to your posts?

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

Guys, you should really spend none of your life worrying about Soxtalk emoji reactions.

Well, collectively we've worried about various SP trade candidates for 52 pages, Nelson Cruz for 42 pages, Trevor Bauer for 32 pages, and Adam Wainright for 10 pages. Some posters share tweets here so quickly after they occur that they must be spending the entire day refreshing Twitter looking for anything to share, and there are at least three Twitter accounts that seem to have no other purpose than to troll us and we seem to be more than happy to oblige. I get that COVID has limited our activity options for a year and that the Bulls and Hawks suck, but Jesus Christ start a new series on Netflix, or watch some movies on HBO Max or start a blog or something.

Also, the number of permanently or temporarily former posters that I'd had to look up in order to understand why current posters compulsively mention them is staggering.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You definitely have a point. However, a lot of time the people responding with the reactions are trolls (see this very thread).  Trolls deserve to be exposed.

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

You definitely have a point. However, a lot of time the people responding with the reactions are trolls (see this very thread).  Trolls deserve to be exposed.

Checks the profile picture, looks at the posts, the reactions check out.

• Fire 2

55 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

What is the downside of eliminating the laugh reaction, keeping the variety of the rest, and making it known who reacts to your posts?

Based on the fact that it is rare to see a mention about the emoji system, it serves no purpose. 

By the way I give your post neutral 😐 emoji. 

I am honestly suprised the Astros aren't tearing it down..  

1. Rid themselves of the scandal

2. They've lost Cole, and Springer

3. Verlander is out for 2021 (most of it).

4. Correa, and Altuve have seriously fluttered (Correa more worrisome).

5. That bullpen is boo boo. The starting pitching (without Verlander) is boo boo.

It just isn't as good of a team anymore. I wonder, if you could engage them regarding Greinke, or McCullers.  I'd love Greinke assuming they eat a ton of cash.

23 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Checks the profile picture, looks at the posts, the reactions check out.

If you want to make a judgement of me based on my posts, that's fine. 

Judging someone based on an avatar picture is just absurd.

• Haha 1

• Quin locked this topic