Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

4 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I think he does have connections. Wasn’t he the guy who called the Lynn trade shortly before it happened?

I thought he claimed a trade with the Cubs was happening the night the Lynn trade went down.  Not sure if that was before or after the foodies claimed something was close.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I thought he claimed a trade with the Cubs was happening the night the Lynn trade went down.  Not sure if that was before or after the foodies claimed something was close.

To be fair, that was the rumor that night regarding Yu 

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Didn’t he literally say he had heard a trade was materializing with the Cubs a few weeks back?

Actually I said the cubs were trading for Dunning about 6 hours before Lynn news broke. I said a trade was definitely coming and Dunning was gone. I'm not getting into it all, but that trade was incredibly close to being done. Insiders here will tell you the same...I thought they were getting Lynn and Gallo, but same person insisted that night it was Yu and Heyward. I was wrong about the deal but was hours ahead of the trade. Find my posts from that night, I'm not an insider or trying to be shit. I've put at least one other thing on here I was told that will be true. I'll keep whatever little bit of info I get that I know is good from here on out. Keep jacking off to all the foods that tweet.

Just now, Pal said:

Actually I said the cubs were trading for Dunning about 6 hours before Lynn news broke. I said a trade was definitely coming and Dunning was gone. I'm not getting into it all, but that trade was incredibly close to being done. Insiders here will tell you the same...I thought they were getting Lynn and Gallo, but same person insisted that night it was Yu and Heyward. I was wrong about the deal but was hours ahead of the trade. Find my posts from that night, I'm not an insider or trying to be shit. I've put at least one other thing on here I was told that will be true. I'll keep whatever little bit of info I get that I know is good from here on out. Keep jacking off to all the foods that tweet.

He wasn’t accusing you of anything, Pal. No need to get defensive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pal said:

Easy bro...I was only teasing.  Unfortunately for people who have shared stuff in the past, it’s sometimes hard to read what’s their speculation vs. what they’re actually hearing.  Apologies if my post came off as aggressive and definitely don’t let me stop you from posting.  I appreciate you or anyone for that manner sharing anything they hear, even if it’s secondhand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pal said:

If I was a betting man, my money is on Marco Gonzalez when a trade gets done (not sure about Seager).

He might be a guy who requires a deeper dive into his pitching. He certainly pitched great in 2020. His K to BB ration spiked like way higher then it has ever been. A lot less walks and more K's. I thought I would briefly look into his 1st and 2nd half stats in 2018 and 2019 to see if maybe the short season was a false predictor of future performance. I didn't see anything that stood out. A deeper dive into why he was so much better in 2020 probably is in order. He could ve figured things out but he wasn't exactly chopped liver before last season either. But if you could get 2020 Marco Gonzales for 3 years you pull that trigger .

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He might be a guy who requires a deeper dive into his pitching. He certainly pitched great in 2020. His K to BB ration spiked like way higher then it has ever been. A lot less walks and more K's. I thought I would briefly look into his 1st and 2nd half stats in 2018 and 2019 to see if maybe the short season was a false predictor of future performance. I didn't see anything that stood out. A deeper dive into why he was so much better in 2020 probably is in order. He could ve figured things out but he wasn't exactly chopped liver before last season either. But if you could get 2020 Marco Gonzales for 3 years you pull that trigger .

Wow.  Was just looking at his numbers and 7 BBs???  Holy smokes!  I would love to have that guy.  That's pretty great.  He has been reasonably good each of the last 3 seasons, but was at a different level last year.  Even if he is the guy from the previous 2 years, that is certainly helpful, but the ever present question, is what is his cost?  The 2018/19 version of him is really good as your 4 starter.  The 2020 version gives you an unreal rotation.  I don't follow the M's enough to know if that was real or the result of any significant change though.  Figuring out a price on him would be complicated.  

I don't love Seager, if you need to take his on (hopefully part) of his deal.  but it wouldn't be the end of the world.  He'd be a competent backup for Moncada if he needs a day here and there, and could hopefully give you something as a DH, at least to buy time for Vaughn.  Over his last 2 seasons, (166 games) he has a .788 OPS and an OPS + of 115.  31 2B, 32 HR,  76 BB, 119 K.  If he could give you that, I think you take it happily.  I don't think I'd love or hate him being in the trade.  Again, depending on of course what the cost is.  I think there could be some value to Seager, and if taking him on lowers the price, it could be worth exploring. 

24 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Wow.  Was just looking at his numbers and 7 BBs???  Holy smokes!  I would love to have that guy.  That's pretty great.  He has been reasonably good each of the last 3 seasons, but was at a different level last year.  Even if he is the guy from the previous 2 years, that is certainly helpful, but the ever present question, is what is his cost?  The 2018/19 version of him is really good as your 4 starter.  The 2020 version gives you an unreal rotation.  I don't follow the M's enough to know if that was real or the result of any significant change though.  Figuring out a price on him would be complicated.  

I don't love Seager, if you need to take his on (hopefully part) of his deal.  but it wouldn't be the end of the world.  He'd be a competent backup for Moncada if he needs a day here and there, and could hopefully give you something as a DH, at least to buy time for Vaughn.  Over his last 2 seasons, (166 games) he has a .788 OPS and an OPS + of 115.  31 2B, 32 HR,  76 BB, 119 K.  If he could give you that, I think you take it happily.  I don't think I'd love or hate him being in the trade.  Again, depending on of course what the cost is.  I think there could be some value to Seager, and if taking him on lowers the price, it could be worth exploring. 

Yes like with every trade what is the cost ? You certainly don't want to overvalue 2020 but you know the Mariners will do just that to get the better deal. Better to trade him coming off a career year even if it was less than half a season. His specialty pitches are his cutter and sinker which is just up the Sox alley. His curve and change up are not nearly as effective . He also doesn't throw very hard so aesthetically he doesn't appeal to those who clamor for flamethrowers.  Much like why many here weren't clamoring for Keuchel. As a comp perhaps you compare him to Kyle Hendricks but Hendricks has been awesome for a lot longer because he has a great change up which tunnels well with his sinker.

The Sox really don't need 2020 Gonzales but that is the best case scenario and would be a huge help in winning a Championship. As long as he can still be 2019 Marco Gonzales he will provide what the Sox need.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I agree. I love just about everything at Portillos, but their burgers lack taste. They look great, but we’re always disappointing to me.

Just don't understand if a place makes one kind of food that is exquisite (hot dogs) - why would you EVER order anything else?

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Gonzalez does have great control but you can like run to the plate and back before his fastball arrives.

Sure, but lefty, cheap, controlled, durable, limits hard contact, doesn't walk anyone, avoids home runs. He's a younger and better (and cheaper) Keuchel, IMO. A Keuchel who allows fewer walks and pitches deeper into games

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

Gonzalez does have great control but you can like run to the plate and back before his fastball arrives.

I spent a little while looking through the statcast stuff, his fastball velocity has decreased each of the last few years at the same time as the effectiveness of that pitch has consistently improved each of the last 4 years.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I spent a little while looking through the statcast stuff, his fastball velocity has decreased each of the last few years at the same time as the effectiveness of that pitch has consistently improved each of the last 4 years.

He added some cut. He’s staying tall and ditched his curve. 

• Quin locked this topic