Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Yeah Texas was first team I thought about.  Honestly next team I thought about was Cubs and Hendricks, but that would cause the worst spelling ever on this site.

Those were exactly my first two thoughts as well.  Hendricks would be very interesting, though if something like Cease, Madrigal, Heuer and good prospect (as you mentioned in another post) could actually get Woodruff, I think long and hard about making that move.  Sign a FA to replace Madrigal, and the Sox do so well with findings relievers, I would feel confident in filling Heuer's spot with an in-house candidate (albeit I do love Heuer and don't expect we'd find an exact match for him - but surely we can find someone who can reasonably get the job done).

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Trading Cease plus a bunch of other stuff is a mistake.  Unless you can pull something off with Madrigal, Heuer, & Stiever, I’d rather go the free agency route or see what a guy like Musgrove costs.

Eh, it depends on what they're getting. If it's Castillo or Woodruff I'm fine with it. I'm not a fan of Cease. He gives off a Lopez-ish vibe to me, about a guy with great stuff that doesn't know where it's going and doesn't miss anywhere close to  the amount of bats that you'd think he should. If some organization still values him highly, be my guest. Do I think he's a complete lost cause? Absolutely not. However, I do think he's a massive project. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 hours ago, hi8is said:

We have a really good history with them?

They were my first thought as well. We don’t trade direct that often but they have been Hahns go-to to make trades workable. 3 way trades are hard and so him and Friedman must communicate well.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

They were my first thought as well. We don’t trade direct that often but they have been Hahns go-to to make trades workable. 3 way trades are hard and so him and Friedman must communicate well.

We often trade with brewers,dodgers,yankees,reds,so maybe gray,one of the 1000 sps of la,woodruff?idk from yankees who and maybe castillo and get Suarez contract back?we even have history with astros,ifk whst they could offer

Really love the chatter about potential starting pitchers. I am on record multiple times that the single most impactful SP target is Corbin Burnes of Brewers. He broke out in a big way last year and my Brewers buddies tell me he is better than Woodruff. I believe he is among the top 3 pitchers in the NL and will be among the top 5-6 in MLB for '21 and beyond. The Brewers would be unlikely to trade him unless they are overwhelmed with a value-offer but they have needs everywhere but RP. One or two SPs.... i.e. Cease+Steiver+Madrigal+ Heuer+Sheets (they need a 1B) would be a steep but reasonable price for Burnes. If successful, we 'd have arguably the best rotation in MLB and a lock down BP to go w/a Murderers Row lineup.  

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If it's a package including Madrigal, Corbin Burnes is my guess. The White Sox have always loved him. I'd do Madrigal, Stiever and Heuer for Burnes in a heartbeat. I'd be interested in Musgrove as well but not for that package. 

Agreed as long as the trade includes only one of the minor league starters, it's a good deal. 

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If it's a package including Madrigal, Corbin Burnes is my guess. The White Sox have always loved him. I'd do Madrigal, Stiever and Heuer for Burnes in a heartbeat. I'd be interested in Musgrove as well but not for that package. 

I just feel it would be more for Burnes, like Kopech or Vaughn.  I do believe Brewers would love Cease, but not sure he’s enough.

10 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah maybe. It won't happen with one of those guys though. 

I don't disagree but you can make the case that Burnes > Giolito. For comparison, what would it take for the Sox to consider trading Gio? The answer is a 'kings ransom'. I would not hesitate to include either Kopech or Vaughn (not both). 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I think I'd be willing to give up Kelley, Madrigal, and Heuer for a starting pitcher.  You guys have any idea who we could land with a package like that?

I would be looking at Woodruff, Burnes, or Castillo(all have a min of 3 years of control) with no fillers (extra contracts being taken back).  To be honest I'd be willing to move Cease, Kelley, and Madrigal for one of those guys.  Think about it.  You have a rotation of Gio, Lynn, Keuchel, one of the above 3, and Kopech/Crotchet as your rotation for the next 3 years or so?  Blow this window wide open and go for it.  Teams that think they are going to stay at the top for 8-10 years end up with nothing.  You get your top notch starter, Jerry doesn't drop another $30 million, you sign LaStella, problem solved.  Commence my beating for trading too much;)

7 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I think I'd be willing to give up Kelley, Madrigal, and Heuer for a starting pitcher.  You guys have any idea who we could land with a package like that?

I'd be asking for Castillo or Burnes.

That's a starting 2B, a proven relief pitcher with closer upside, and a projected first rounder who fell due to asking price.

It's a steep price, but at the same time you now let Cease slot in at the #5, Lopez takes swingman duties, Kopech can come back at his own pace, Crochet is allowed to develop without being rushed, Lynn doesn't become a must sign, etc.

• Like 1

I see the Sox payroll for 2021 is at $121 million.  Trade for a cheap SP with control (the above mentioned) put you at $125, sign LaStella at around 2/$14 and a one year DH at $10-$15 and you are at $145 million.  It's doable.....unless a certain pitcher is willing to sign a 1 or 2 year deal and maybe get financially creative again RH?????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

For the sake of discussion, do we think Madrigal, Heuer, Kelley, and a lottery ticket come close to getting either Woodruff or Castillo?

no, not with out taking back moose.

3 hours ago, Vulture said:

Why would they do it then? No way I’d trade Burnes or Woodruff without getting getting one of them back

I like Burnes but I think you're overvaluing him if you think it would take Vaughn/Kopech + Madrigal + Heuer to land him.  Burnes threw 59 innings last year which was a career high for him.  And he got roughed up in 2019 and was nearly made a permanent reliever.  Brewers may see him as a "sell high" type of guy.  You only do the above-referenced package for a true cost-controlled ace (like Woodruff).

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

For the sake of discussion, do we think Madrigal, Heuer, Kelley, and a lottery ticket come close to getting either Woodruff or Castillo?

That's exactly the question I have been wondering. I really don't know.  It's actually a pretty good package without including Vaughn, Kopech, Crochet.

• Quin locked this topic