Jump to content
Chicago White Sox

Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I totally expect next week we start seeing names like Mike Fiers, Julio Teheran, Brett Anderson, J.A. Happ and Jake Arrieta tossed into the Foodies Twitter salads for Sox fans consumption.

If they were interested in Pérez, then this is  the caliber they’re looking at now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is insane how Teheran is only 29. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I totally expect next week we start seeing names like Mike Fiers, Julio Teheran, Brett Anderson, J.A. Happ and Jake Arrieta tossed into the Foodies Twitter salads for Sox fans consumption.

I completely forgot about Teheran.  Hope Sox attend his session Tuesday.  If his bad 2020 was due solely to his Covid issues, he could be a great bargain.  Wonder what he's asking.  His 7 years in Atlanta are really impressive!  If he's back 100% healthy now, his arm has had virtually a year off, too.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d like to see if we could get Trevor Williams on a minor league deal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, fathom said:

If they were interested in Pérez, then this is  the caliber they’re looking at now.  

I don’t see how this group is really any worse of an option than Q or Richards. If you aren’t willing to shop at the top of the market, this is what you get.

I really don’t know why they aren’t going for the jugular here. With the Cubs disassembled and their Network with lots of questions, and not the love able losers anymore, this really could be the opportunity to really change things in Chicago, and for the White Sox moving forward. If they ever started operating as a big market team, considering their division, they should be in the playoffs more than anyone.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don’t see how this group is really any worse of an option than Q or Richards. If you aren’t willing to shop at the top of the market, this is what you get.

I really don’t know why they aren’t going for the jugular here. With the Cubs disassembled and their Network with lots of questions, and not the love able losers anymore, this really could be the opportunity to really change things in Chicago, and for the White Sox moving forward. If they ever started operating as a big market team, considering their division, they should be in the playoffs more than anyone.

I’d say for specifically Q and Perez they at least were likely to give 160 IP, which the scary part in this group is it’s more like the Gio Gonzalez group.

Still, some guys in here will pop. Archer is interesting. We just need to get lucky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’d say for specifically Q and Perez they at least were likely to give 160 IP, which the scary part in this group is it’s more like the Gio Gonzalez group.

Still, some guys in here will pop. Archer is interesting. We just need to get lucky

Yeah, Archer is the only guy in that FA tier that is palatable. 

It's starting to look like we should be hoping for Archer or that they can get Musgrove for a reasonable price. 

Best case scenario is that the Diamondbacks are as interested in a deal around Madrigal for Gallen as the Marlins were. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don’t see how this group is really any worse of an option than Q or Richards. If you aren’t willing to shop at the top of the market, this is what you get.

I really don’t know why they aren’t going for the jugular here. With the Cubs disassembled and their Network with lots of questions, and not the love able losers anymore, this really could be the opportunity to really change things in Chicago, and for the White Sox moving forward. If they ever started operating as a big market team, considering their division, they should be in the playoffs more than anyone.

Who says they aren't going to get a top starter? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’d say for specifically Q and Perez they at least were likely to give 160 IP, which the scary part in this group is it’s more like the Gio Gonzalez group.

Still, some guys in here will pop. Archer is interesting. We just need to get lucky

But even then you don’t know. Q sliced his finger, but then had a lat issue. Will that be a problem moving forward, or is it a sign he is starting to fall apart? Who knows.Most of these guys are better than Gio Gonzalez. I am not worried about that. But you are right, lucky is the word when and if this signing happens. Probably a couple of these guys will be really good in 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we stipulate that Bauer is not a realistic target, who does this group think should be targeted? Is there one obvious pitcher who is a clear fit that this group could coallesce around? If yes, is there reason to believe the FO would not pursue this target for financial reasons? I've read about a dozen names tossed about as potential targets and lots of noise about how cheap JR is (maybe rightfully) but its not obvious there are any FA pitchers not named Bauer who we should absolutely pursue, regardless of price.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Who says they aren't going to get a top starter? 

Exactly! Be careful what you write, as they might be here reading it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

Who says they aren't going to get a top starter? 

To me the jugular would be Bauer. That is not happening. But that would enable the White Sox to improve their rotation the most. Keep all of their top prospects. And demoralize the rest of the AL Central.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

To me the jugular would be Bauer. That is not happening. But that would enable the White Sox to improve their rotation the most. Keep all of their top prospects. And demoralize the rest of the AL Central.
 

 

I think Odorizzi would also be really strong but he also appears priced out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Flash said:

If we stipulate that Bauer is not a realistic target, who does this group think should be targeted? Is there one obvious pitcher who is a clear fit that this group could coallesce around? If yes, is there reason to believe the FO would not pursue this target for financial reasons? I've read about a dozen names tossed about as potential targets and lots of noise about how cheap JR is (maybe rightfully) but its not obvious there are any FA pitchers not named Bauer who we should absolutely pursue, regardless of price.   

You’re absolutely right. There is no clear and obvious choice. That’s why the best route might be to make a trade that doesn’t involve Vaughn, Kopech, or Crochet.

Heuer, Madrigal, Kelley, Stiever, and Thompson seem like the likely names if a trade is made. Try to get the best value using some combination of those five players. 

Edited by SoxBlanco
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate having to comprise on #4, but I looked at  Steven Brault again, and he genuinely looked like he improved his stuff across the board in 2020, slightly better spin rates and active spin on his pitches, leading to better x and y movements and better K%. Could he be much more than #4? Probably not, but he looks like a viable #4 with 3 years of control left. If his price is much lower than Musgrove, I wouldn’t hate that deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don’t see how this group is really any worse of an option than Q or Richards. If you aren’t willing to shop at the top of the market, this is what you get.

I really don’t know why they aren’t going for the jugular here. With the Cubs disassembled and their Network with lots of questions, and not the love able losers anymore, this really could be the opportunity to really change things in Chicago, and for the White Sox moving forward. If they ever started operating as a big market team, considering their division, they should be in the playoffs more than anyone.

This has to be drilled into Reinsdorf’s head. With the moves the Padres made to their rotation, the Yankees possibly in on Castillo, and the Dodgers at the top of the mountain the Sox cannot settle for some $8 million pitcher to hopefully eat up innings and think that’s what’s going to put them over the top. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Saufley said:

Exactly! Be careful what you write, as they might be here reading it!

150% chance they read everything posted here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another guy is Rich Hill. Still very much alive at 41. He will miss some starts, but when he pitches he’s still highly effective. Looks like Twins were ramping up his arm after an offseason UCL surgery and he threw 90+ pitches each of his last 3 starts.

Him going 5 innings and Lopez coming in as his tandem LR isn’t the worst thing in the world.

Don’t think he would come too cheap since he made $3M in base salary last year and had a incentives for another $9.5M. But I think he could fit under Sox’s $8M cap this time around.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting guys to me that could be at that level. Do I think all of these are good signings? No, interesting is a mixture of stories, previous success or previous Sox interest.

Mike Leake - opted out in 2020. Heavy control pitcher who always seemed to be a sox target. Not a guy you’d expect a lot more than innings and hoping for 4.5 ERa. But, could be an interesting guy for Lynn to talk with.

Archer - shoulder could be an issue, but he’s a “get the pirates stink off” guy

Hamels - see status of shoulder. Would likely need to be sold on winning team.

Wainwright- went from joke to a pretty decent option. Again, he wouldn’t get paid like he would other years so would have to want TLR over retirement/cards

Folty - Obviously, if his weight came back and velo looked encouraging, getting that 2018 fb would be incredible

Chatwood/Jimmy Nelson based on injuries.

Assuming Paxton is higher cost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Yankees are making a serious push for Castillo with Frazier and Andujar being the primary pieces. They definitely have a much of MLB ready pieces to get it done (Deivi, Schmidt, Domingo German) that would make it tough for Sox to match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

To me the jugular would be Bauer. That is not happening. But that would enable the White Sox to improve their rotation the most. Keep all of their top prospects. And demoralize the rest of the AL Central.
 

 

It’s really that simple and why it’s so frustrating having Jerry as owner.  There is zero excuse for us not to be a beast in the AL Central, especially with Pizza Man now gone.  All we have to do is spend like a big market team and we could put our foot on the throat of theses mid & small market clubs.  Unfortunately, Jerry lacks any killer instinct and prioritizes not losing any money above all else.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Looks like Yankees are making a serious push for Castillo with Frazier and Andujar being the primary pieces. They definitely have a much of MLB ready pieces to get it done (Deivi, Schmidt, Domingo German) that would make it tough for Sox to match.

Frazier is obviously a really good talent but the dude is in Arb 1 just like Castillo, and andujar is a reclamation and tough position ally. I don’t don’t that’s the best talent package but a curious one for reds to make.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bmags said:

Frazier is obviously a really good talent but the dude is in Arb 1 just like Castillo, and andujar is a reclamation and tough position ally. I don’t don’t that’s the best talent package but a curious one for reds to make.

The curious case of the Reds is I don’t know if they’re rebuilding or retooling. They targeted for another RP in dealing Rasiel. Traded for Jeff Hoffman, and still have a bunch of older guys on the team. I am still baffled why they’re trading Castillo who has 3 years of control to begin with. The Yankees guys they rumored to be interested in - Frazier, Andujar both have 4 years of control left, as does German. The Sox don’t have guys they could trade that are proven and cost controlled if that’s what the Reds are after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Looks like Yankees are making a serious push for Castillo with Frazier and Andujar being the primary pieces. They definitely have a much of MLB ready pieces to get it done (Deivi, Schmidt, Domingo German) that would make it tough for Sox to match.

Aren’t both guys butchers in the field?  I honestly can’t believe the Reds would be targeting guys like that for Castillo.  Where would they even play?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×