Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

22 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think what you see is before they settled  which was salary from 2020 + est. arb raise = est. 2021 salary .

It actually came out higher in 2021 salary:

Evan Marshall 30.8 4.090 1 yr, $2M (2021)                
Lucas Giolito 26.5 3.080 1 yr, $4.15M (2021)                
Reynaldo López 27.0 3.091 1 yr, $2.1M (2021)                
Adam Engel 29.1 3.058 1 yr, $1.375M (2021)                
Jace Fry 27.5 3.005 1 yr, $862.5k (2021)    =$10.4875 M

The 5 TBD pre arb's are:  Kopech, Cease, Heuer, Madrigal, & Foster = est $9.128m

8 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Here we go again with people wanting to trade away the farm. 

I thought the goal is to win a World Series every year? Castillo helps you do that now and for the next 2 years. During that time the White Sox can still make draft picks and still sign IFA... So I don’t understand the hesitation here guys. And no I’m not saying trade every piece of the system but to get a really good player in return you’ll have to give up something, Castillo would be worth it 

Edited by Rey21

3 hours ago, Flash said:

If we stipulate that Bauer is not a realistic target, who does this group think should be targeted? Is there one obvious pitcher who is a clear fit that this group could coallesce around? If yes, is there reason to believe the FO would not pursue this target for financial reasons? I've read about a dozen names tossed about as potential targets and lots of noise about how cheap JR is (maybe rightfully) but its not obvious there are any FA pitchers not named Bauer who we should absolutely pursue, regardless of price.   

Tanaka.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He had a partially torn UCL in 2016 and avoided getting TJS.  Sounds like that was a poor decision that ultimately blew up on him and resulted in more lost time than necessary.  I know there were other injuries mixed in there, but the dude was basically fully healthy last year.  No doubt he is a risk, but if you believe the UCL is finally good to go, I’ll happily take him on a 1/$8M deal and hope I can get at least 100 quality innings out of him during the regular season and then for him to play a role on our postseason pitching staff.

Yeah, he had the surgery in 2016 then some weird biceps nerve issue in 2017 that kept him out 5 months, then the TJ in 2018.  Lots of harm done to that arm. IDK!

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Luis Castillo is a pipe dream. If the Sonny Gray trade talks are any indication, Castillo isn't actually available. At least, not for the Sox. 

That’s exactly what I suspected. That’s why I keep going back to Musgrove. Seems like the most logical SP that wouldn’t cost a fortune to trade for. 

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Luis Castillo is a pipe dream. If the Sonny Gray trade talks are any indication, Castillo isn't actually available. At least, not for the Sox. 

Was that you that said Corbin Burnes could be available? I would wonder why he would be available...but if he, is this a Kopech + Madrigral type return I would assume?

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Pipe dream because Sox are unwilling to part with Kopech/Vaughn? If the Yankees end up with him that vaults them up to favorites in the AL...

Edited by Rey21

I like Castillo as a trade target but even if we led with Kopech, Madrigal and Heuer, we'd still be light. There is a scenario whereby the Reds want to dump salary and look to include Moustakes or Castellanos, in which case we a team willing to take on salary might get a deal done. Not the White Sox MO but at least in the discussion.   

11 minutes ago, Flash said:

I like Castillo as a trade target but even if we led with Kopech, Madrigal and Heuer, we'd still be light. There is a scenario whereby the Reds want to dump salary and look to include Moustakes or Castellanos, in which case we a team willing to take on salary might get a deal done. Not the White Sox MO but at least in the discussion.   

In theory, we could add Castillo and Moustakas to '21 payroll (@$19M) and solve for stud pitcher AND LH bat who can play 2B/3B. Not sure what prospect cost would look like and Moustakas' contract goes 2 more years at $16 and $18M plus $4M buyout/option in '24. Does that qualify as 'all in?'

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Musgrove for Kelley + Beard...who says no?

I would hope the Sox. That's one where I just don't understanding giving up an asset like Kelly for production that is 100% available on the open market and that doesn't have an outrageous cost. 

I'm fine with trading a Kopech, Vaughn, Kelly etc. for a foundational piece or someone to put this team over the top, make them the AL favorites. I don't think Musgrove comes close to that, and additionally I think someone like Tanaka or Quintana can come fairly close to matching the production Musgrove would provide. 

Just spend the money. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

I would hope the Sox. That's one where I just don't understanding giving up an asset like Kelly for production that is 100% available on the open market and that doesn't have an outrageous cost. 

I'm fine with trading a Kopech, Vaughn, Kelly etc. for a foundational piece or someone to put this team over the top, make them the AL favorites. I don't think Musgrove comes close to that, and additionally I think someone like Tanaka or Quintana can come fairly close to matching the production Musgrove would provide. 

Just spend the money. 

I think Musgrove is far more interesting and would likely blow Quintana out of the water in terms of production.  And Tanaka isn’t going to be cheap and will require multiple years.  I’m not saying we should do the trade, but I could very easily see that being the price.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think Musgrove is far more interesting and would likely blow Quintana out of the water in terms of production.  And Tanaka isn’t going to be cheap and will require multiple years.  I’m not saying we should do the trade, but I could very easily see that being the price.

I don’t disagree that could be the price. I would strongly advise the Sox not meeting that price. Maybe it’s not Q, maybe it’s not Tanaka. But I would put heavy money on the fact there are multiple FA pitchers currently available that will out-perform Musgrove over the next two seasons. It’s up to the Sox to figure out who those FA’s and may be and bring them in. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

I don’t disagree that could be the price. I would strongly advise the Sox not meeting that price. Maybe it’s not Q, maybe it’s not Tanaka. But I would put heavy money on the fact there are multiple FA pitchers currently available that will out-perform Musgrove over the next two seasons. It’s up to the Sox to figure out who those FA’s and may be and bring them in. 

will happily take the bet that musgrove outperforms non-bauer free agents over next two seasons.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tony said:

Good luck trying to get Jerry to sign Tanaka when he's been pitching with a partially torn UCL for years. Tanaka isn't happening, Jerry is too risk averse. I don't think Jerry would even consider Tanaka on a 1 year deal. 

Beside the point, as I said earlier, reports are that if not the Yankees, Tanaka is strongly considering returning to Japan so if he stays in MLB he's probably going to the west coast. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

The Free Agent starters suck and would make this team worse

Musgrove is nice, but it 100% depends on price, absolutely no reason to give up a valuable piece for him.

Other trade targets: Castillo/Gray/Burnes all would cost a fortune, but with the right deal, definitely worth doing -- problem is I highly doubt a deal works.

Just sign Bauer. Immediately completes this team for the next 3 years. Bauer + Giolito as 1-2 would go up against any team in the playoffs. Lynn+Keuchel are extremely good 3/4 options. And best of all, we lose nothing except $$$$. This team has been pocketing money most of the last 5+ years due to the rebuild. Time to spend. Every fan should be pressuring Jerry to spend it for what we've endured. 

• Quin locked this topic