Jump to content
Chicago White Sox

Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Recommended Posts

I understand he got injured last year and will need a little bit of time, but it makes me sad that people are no longer excited about Kopech....I was sooooo fuckin stoked to see him come up and now we're talking about him as the 6th starter. 

I think they like Cease too. 

IMO you start the year with Giolito/Keuchel//Lynn/Cease and then you use Crochet as an opener of sorts until Kopech is ready. 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I understand he got injured last year and will need a little bit of time, but it makes me sad that people are no longer excited about Kopech....I was sooooo fuckin stoked to see him come up and now we're talking about him as the 6th starter. 

I think they like Cease too. 

IMO you start the year with Giolito/Keuchel//Lynn/Cease and then you use Crochet as an opener of sorts until Kopech is ready. 

 

 

I think most of us are excited about Kopech, but he hasn’t pitched in forever and will be on a strict innings limit.  He should the start the year in AAA as our 6th starter and that’s totally fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sarava said:

Was that you that said Corbin Burnes could be available? I would wonder why he would be available...but if he, is this a Kopech + Madrigral type return I would assume?

I never said he was available. I said Sox have tried to get him. There’s a reason why they don’t have him. Madrigal/Heuer have been names mentioned in talks. That’s not enough. 

2 hours ago, Rey21 said:

Pipe dream because Sox are unwilling to part with Kopech/Vaughn? If the Yankees end up with him that vaults them up to favorites in the AL...

The Sox aren’t trading Michael Kopech or Andrew Vaughn and likely not Garrett Crochet for anyone. When your owner is Jerry Reinsdorf, you can’t trade potential stars. 

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I got the impression a FA is likelier than a trade.  Have you heard something similar?

Probably. Players market though. I’ve heard Garrett Richards like you have. Quintana and Wainwright maybe as well. One year and $11 million for Drew Smyly messed with market though. I’m sure Sox want a 1 year deal at less than $10 million for a SP. Kopech will be in rotation at some point. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, shago said:

That's not going to win you a World Series, let alone last you a full season.

I think Maloney.Adam is saying that Gio, Lynn, Keuchel, and Cease will produce the 3 necessary quality starters for playoff baseball.  I would add Kopech to that equation.  I agree with M.A that we have enough to get to the playoffs and once there...you have a chance to win.  Obviously, if you add a TOR guy you improve the quality of that 3 starter grouping.

Edited by poppysox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I never said he was available. I said Sox have tried to get him. There’s a reason why they don’t have him. Madrigal/Heuer have been names mentioned in talks. That’s not enough. 

The Sox aren’t trading Michael Kopech or Andrew Vaughn and likely not Garrett Crochet for anyone. When your owner is Jerry Reinsdorf, you can’t trade potential stars. 

Probably. Players market though. I’ve heard Garrett Richards like you have. Quintana and Wainwright maybe as well. One year and $11 million for Drew Smyly messed with market though. I’m sure Sox want a 1 year deal at less than $10 million for a SP. Kopech will be in rotation at some point. 

Wait so they won’t trade potential stars in Vaughn/Kopech for a proven star in Castillo? That makes no sense even for Jerry who “wants to win” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Wait so they won’t trade potential stars in Vaughn/Kopech for a proven star in Castillo? That makes no sense even for Jerry who “wants to win” 

It absolutely makes sense. When your owner refuses to spend at the top of the free agent market, you can't trade 6 away 6 years of Kopech/Vaughn. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It absolutely makes sense. When your owner refuses to spend at the top of the free agent market, you can't trade 6 away 6 years of Kopech/Vaughn. 

Completely agreed. Kopech, Vaughn and Crochet are potentially way too damn special to trade when your team's owner caps FA spending at grade B talent and limits even those players to one per offseason. You need potential stars like them in order to continue past the current 4 year window that just opened. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think most of us are excited about Kopech, but he hasn’t pitched in forever and will be on a strict innings limit.  He should the start the year in AAA as our 6th starter and that’s totally fine.

Also completely agreed. 

It sucks, but it seems that Kopech made the right career move by opting out last year. That's good for both the Sox and Kopech because Kopech didn't re-injure himself and the Sox between the opt out and this year get the 1.5 years of service from Kopech  that they lost with his injury. If he's everything we always hoped he'd be, the Sox would get him through his entire prime. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It absolutely makes sense. When your owner refuses to spend at the top of the free agent market, you can't trade 6 away 6 years of Kopech/Vaughn. 

Welp here’s to hoping Kopech is as good if not better than Castillo and Vaughn is a stud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jose Abreu said:

 

Started a new thread. I’m guessing Cruz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Probably. Players market though. I’ve heard Garrett Richards like you have. Quintana and Wainwright maybe as well. One year and $11 million for Drew Smyly messed with market though. I’m sure Sox want a 1 year deal at less than $10 million for a SP. Kopech will be in rotation at some point. 

I got the feeling they like where they're sitting and they like the FA options available so they're gonna sit back and wait to see who they get at the best deal.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fathom said:

Started a new thread. I’m guessing Cruz

Time can never mend
The careless whispers of a good friend
To the heart and mind
Ignorance is kind
There's no comfort in the truth
Pain is all you'll find

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:
Time can never mend
The careless whispers of a good friend
To the heart and mind
Ignorance is kind
There's no comfort in the truth
Pain is all you'll find

One word doesn't say anything

and at the same time it hides everything

like the wind that hides the water

Like the flowers that hide the mud.

 

A glance doesn't say anything

and at the same time says everything

like the rain on your face

or an old treasure map.

 

A truth doesn't say anything

and at the same time it hides everything

like a bonfire that won't go out

like a stone that gives birth to dust.

 

If one day I don't have you I will be nothing

and at the same time I will be everything

because in your eyes are my wings

and the shore where I drown,

because in your eyes are my wings

and the shore where I drown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, scs787 said:

I understand he got injured last year and will need a little bit of time, but it makes me sad that people are no longer excited about Kopech....I was sooooo fuckin stoked to see him come up and now we're talking about him as the 6th starter. 

I think they like Cease too. 

IMO you start the year with Giolito/Keuchel//Lynn/Cease and then you use Crochet as an opener of sorts until Kopech is ready. 

 

 

 

I think long term kopech can still be a front line starter but the first year pitching in actual games after TJ command is often a bit rough creating HR and walk issues and thus less performance.

I think thus he might be more of a 5th to 6th starter in 2021 and then maybe take a step forward in 22. 

It could also be better than that but that should be seen as a bonus and not expected as the first year after TJ is often not easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

 

I think long term kopech can still be a front line starter but the first year pitching in actual games after TJ command is often a bit rough creating HR and walk issues and thus less performance.

I think thus he might be more of a 5th to 6th starter in 2021 and then maybe take a step forward in 22. 

It could also be better than that but that should be seen as a bonus and not expected as the first year after TJ is often not easy.

The interesting part is that this isn't right after his UCL reconstruction.  He took last year off so it is much longer post surgery than another pitcher. He may very well not go through all of the issues of pitchers coming back 9 -12 months post surgery. By his time-line he could have pitched in the MLB at the end of the 2019 season. However they decided to hold him out and he only pitched in the Fall instructional league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

 

In their dreams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aeichhor said:

 

You can't butcher the English language like that. "Touchability" is a binary state. You can't be it to a lesser extent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t want to trade our top guys...but if we aren’t trading them what’s the point of targeting a pitcher via trade? Is a best case headline package of Stiever and Thompson really going to return a TOR arm? 
 

Or should we not give up assets and just sign 1 of several solid back end (with potential for more) rotation arms still available as free agents?

 

Seems pretty obvious to me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×