Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, SoxSteve said:

No source like most here. just using common sense. Do you think we are going to trade our most recent  3-4 picks away? There is reason we have drafted pitching that high the last 2 drafts. it's because we don't want to pay a high salary to a pitcher and we don't want to trade away promising players like Vaughn  and Madrigal away for pitching. I don't think we would draft a short right handed first baseman and a short contact only hitter that high if they didn't love them and they didn't fit into the projected lineup. Now if someone said we are trading some young  pitching away like Dalquest or Thompson etc ain a package for a proven cost controlled starter I would believe that for sure because it makes sense. Madrigal and Vaughn doesn't at least to me.

People with legitimate sources are saying the opposite of what you are saying. You're talking with conviction based on your gut feeling, which happens to be wrong. 

54 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I tailored it to match your style

Meaningless quip and no actual relevant response. 

Ok, thanks for playing. Enjoy your pointless reaction emoticon ego boost.

Edited by RagahRagah

36 minutes ago, ron883 said:

People with legitimate sources are saying the opposite of what you are saying. You're talking with conviction based on your gut feeling, which happens to be wrong. 

I mean who are you to say that Soxsteve's strong opinion is wrong?   Some guy on Soxtalk claims to be an insider and thus he knows more?  You know what would happen if the "insider' were ACTUALLY an insider (maybe he is) and he was outed...so now it is...Paul Sullivan reports White Sox are shopping Madrigal...Half the board would say...when was the last time Sullivan ever reported anything he's just throwing crap against the wall...a quarter of the board would say he is just a mouth piece for Jerry Reinsdorf...and a quarter of the board would be panicked that we were trading Madrigal for Tampa Bay's garbage.   No one knows the future with any certainty at all including Rick Hahn and to confidently shout someone down for having the wrong opinion is goofy.  SoxSteve makes a strong point that core pieces of the rebuild like Madrigal and Vaughan should not be traded.  I made a point about us undervaluing the skillset of Madrigal and we would be foolish to trade him away.  But I also think RH would be foolish for not seeing what he can get for Madrigal...and Vaughan...and everyone else.  I'm sure he'd take a call from the Yankees...Robert for Gerrit Cole?  Or the Mets...Moncada for deGrom?  OK, let's talk.  Like any knucklehead in a fantasy league the point is to value our assets and get a sense of how other teams value of our assets...and if we see a way to leverage a trade to make the Sox better let's consider.   Personally I'd like to stand pat from here and see how the soufflé rises.  In the off season we've added a top 10 starting pitcher, a top 5 relief pitcher, a historically useful right fielder and seem to be replacing EE with the very exciting Vaughan and the only asset we lost is one of our 12 exciting young unproven starting pitchers...and Vegas looks at our team and loves us.  Soxtalk should be a love fest.  

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Scotty Pods was 59 for 82 for the 2005 White Sox and he is legendary.

Did you not watch that season? Pods was nearly perfect on the base paths for the first half of the year. He had a streak of 22 consecutive bases stolen at one point, the majority of the bases he stole were by July. Then, he hurt his hamstring and was at a 50% or higher rate of being thrown out in the last couple months, and he actually needed to run less that year because of it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Who has legitimate sources is questioned every day on this site.  Now you use them to authenticate our own opinions?  

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Did you not watch that season? Pods was nearly perfect on the base paths for the first half of the year. He had a streak of 22 consecutive bases stolen at one point, the majority of the bases he stole were by July. Then, he hurt his hamstring and was at a 50% or higher rate of being thrown out in the last couple months, and he actually needed to run less that year because of it.

So you are saying that Pods lack of success after his injury is not worth considering...and yet Madrigal's injury is irrelevant?  Just asking for a friend.  

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

He had a leg injury too? 

No he hurt his shoulder five games into his rookie season, was out for three weeks...came back and played the rest of the season almost certainly in pain as he had surgery on that shoulder as soon as the season was done.  I'm no doctor but it would seem the act of diving for a ball or to steal a base would be mentally and physically terrifying for a 23 year old playing in the majors for the first time and might effect his fielding and baserunning.   But you are right...Pods was amazing before he was hurt...and his skill should be considered outside of the stats when he was playing hurt.          

21 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

We are talking minor leagues so Pods started out his minor league career 48 for 68. About the same. 

It amazes me how some players get so much rope but some like Madrigal who was drafted only 2 1/2 years ago gets none, and he is supposed to be a finished product.  But he sucks so much other teams won’t notice and will give you something good for him. And then Tommy LaStella can come in because a decent faction of Soxtalk has a ex Cub fetish and he will be way better. And it will only cost $7 million more and that is nothing to Sox ownership. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

We are talking minor leagues so Pods started out his minor league career 48 for 68. About the same. 

It amazes me how some players get so much rope but some like Madrigal who was drafted only 2 1/2 years ago gets none, and he is supposed to be a finished product.  But he sucks so much other teams won’t notice and will give you something good for him. And then Tommy LaStella can come in because a decent faction of Soxtalk has a ex Cub fetish and he will be way better. And it will only cost $7 million more and that is nothing to Sox ownership. 

Well the Sox apparently agree with myself and others a little bit as they were trying to trade him last deadline.  As for LaStella, he wasn’t even good on the Cubs. He was basically an all star with the Angels though.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Well the Sox apparently agree with myself and others a little bit as they were trying to trade him last deadline.  As for LaStella, he wasn’t even good on the Cubs. He was basically an all star with the Angels though.

They weren’t trying very hard. I am sure a team would take him off the Sox hands. 

18 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The difference between a Moncada anda Madrigal remains the team around them. The White Sox are hoping to challenge the Yankees and the Dodgers and the Padres next year. They can’t afford to have Madrigal need 2 full years before he breaks out. That could easily be the difference between a game 7 at home or on the road.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The difference between a Moncada anda Madrigal remains the team around them. The White Sox are hoping to challenge the Yankees and the Dodgers and the Padres next year. They can’t afford to have Madrigal need 2 full years before he breaks out. That could easily be the difference between a game 7 at home or on the road.

Would you suggest the Sox trade Robert this season if he gets off to a tough start? 

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Oh God get off it with this. 29 games is not 2 freakin' years. How on earth are you seeing parallells with these absurd comparisons?

If our lineup is as good as advertised, Madrigal's growing pains are not likely to cost us the big prize, lol.

Edited by RagahRagah

21 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yeah that all-star year where he hit 19 homers instead of his usual 3.  What was that about?

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yeah...those .340 hitters will mess you up every time.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Would you suggest the Sox trade Robert this season if he gets off to a tough start? 

No but I’d say they would have a real risk of dramatically disappointing if that happens. It’s a good thing they didn’t trade for anyone with 1 year of control.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Did you not watch that season? Pods was nearly perfect on the base paths for the first half of the year. He had a streak of 22 consecutive bases stolen at one point, the majority of the bases he stole were by July. Then, he hurt his hamstring and was at a 50% or higher rate of being thrown out in the last couple months, and he actually needed to run less that year because 

Edited by Dick Allen

24 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Oh God get off it with this. 29 games is not 2 freakin' years. How on earth are you seeing parallells with these absurd comparisons?

If our lineup is as good as advertised, Madrigal's growing pains are not likely to cost us the big prize, lol.

This is one I fundamentally disagree with. 4 of the last 5 years, the team that won the World Series has been a monster. 100+ wins, or on a pace that would get there if not for a virus. We do not have time for growing pains next year, whether that’s from pitching, 2b, DH, or whatever else.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

At least you agree I can project his performance this year for the full season. Those 0 WAR players win you a lot of titles.

The projections have him between 1.8 and 2.4.  The Last team LaRussa managed won a WS with a 0.3 WAR SS and a 0.2 WAR 2B.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

At least you agree I can project his performance this year for the full season. Those 0 WAR players win you a lot of titles.

Baseball reference shows him with .5 WAR in 29 games...which comes out to 2.5 WAR per season...as a 23 year old...at near zero cost.  The glory of the White Sox right now is that they have so many guys that will be going through growing pains that you won't even notice.  Robert and Eloy and Madrigal and Vaughan and Cease and Kopech and on and on can go through a bad month without it costing us because it is liking when they are having a good month they can be so good.   

• Quin locked this topic