Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Welcome to Soxtalk!

I mean look I know the odds of all of this happening are slim, it’ll cost Jerry some money but damnit this at least gives them a chance against the Dodgers/Padres. All comes down to the chairman 

4 hours ago, Sarava said:

Just asking - is anyone concerned that some NL Central pitchers' numbers are fluffed up because these pitchers faced garbage offenses most nights?

Yes.  The SOS of both Centrals was weak (obviously since they only played themselves and each other and were scorched in the playoffs).  Trading Madrigal to get Grey  - that's just clowning. 

As for Grey using his secondaries and all of that, fine.  Got out and find a guy who is using the secondaries inefficiently and fix him; that way you don't pay a premium price on a pitcher who relies on secondaries.

Edited by GreenSox

2 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Looks like the Reds are getting a little shorted there, not sure they would take it unless 0.7 VALUE is added on the White Sox end.

It gets worse guys. Moncada is negative value according to this. We should dump him before we get even farther down the hole.

Just now, ptatc said:

Talk about trading away any chance at a future. I would never trade 5 pitchers for 1.

Ha, was posting this more to show that site is trash. I really dislike the future value stuff, but this site is being used a lot and it looks like garbage to me.

• Like 1

Just now, bmags said:

It gets worse guys. Moncada is negative value according to this. We should dump him before we get even farther down the hole.

Definitely a throw in for any trade. Get him out of town

Just now, bmags said:

Ha, was posting this more to show that site is trash. I really dislike the future value stuff, but this site is being used a lot and it looks like garbage to me.

I know. I was commenting just on the concept of including that many young young pitchers regardless of the trade.

55 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I don't disagree with what you say.  Just don't let's be on the opposite side of that Q for Eloy equation.

Agreed there too. Especially when you can go out and get Kluber, Paxton, Q himself, etc. The fact is getting a gray is gravy -- and gravy is nice, but based on a hot streak he'd be maybe starting game 3 or 4 and there's just as much of a chance he lays an egg in his playoff game and we lose as there is a kluber or paxton does. I'll take the "free" option where we dont trade anybody and only have to give a 1-2 year deal out at a reasonable price. 

Gray, although I'm a big fan is much further down my list than just signing a FA. I'm a big fan of taking one of these high risk guys -- Rich Hill, Kluber, Alex Wood, Paxton. We have enough depth and innings (theoretically) from a plethora of guys. We should utilize those guys in-house & roll the dice on an injury prone guy who can (maybe) be healthy at the right time in the playoffs. 

• Thanks 1

While I love the idea of Gray (far more than 1 year of Lynn).. I would be hesitant of the idea of another large prospect haul to upgrade the position when others (not as good obviously) are available for 10mil or so.  I image the trade would include Madrigal/Cease + one of our HS SP.. Just would hate to trade that much youth in the same position when others could've been had for money.. Trading Dunning, Madrigal/Cease and Dalquist (example) is a lot to stomach right now

• Like 1

One way to improve the rotation w/o trading anyone.... 'Sugano won the Sawamura Award as Japan’s top pitcher in 2017 and 2018 and was 14-2 with a 1.97 ERA this past season. In his eight-year career, he has a 2.32 ERA'. Decision coming soon (maybe this week). Don't know what he would cost but apparantly the Giants and BlueJays are apparent front runners. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

One way to improve the rotation w/o trading anyone.... 'Sugano won the Sawamura Award as Japan’s top pitcher in 2017 and 2018 and was 14-2 with a 1.97 ERA this past season. In his eight-year career, he has a 2.32 ERA'. Decision coming soon (maybe this week). Don't know what he would cost but apparantly the Giants and BlueJays are apparent front runners. 

I think it's been said that they don't participate in that market. 

It would have been nice to beat the Rangers on Arihara. He signed for about 11M including the posting fee. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

On 1/3/2021 at 9:53 AM, Pal said:

Don't know if they feel confident they got Hendriks or have now moved on, but they have moved on to trade discussions to end of the week.

Hoped I was wrong about moving on. 

24 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I think so based on the two Padres trades. Although it might have to be Kopech over Cease possibly. 

They most certainly do but I’d try to keep Kopech if we somehow can.

Make that trade, sign La Stella to play 2B, sign a lower cost closer option (Colome or Rosenthal), and cheap options for LH DH and backup C to round out the roster.

Castillo would make this one of the best rotations in the AL.

• Quin locked this topic