2021 Celebrity Death Thread

knightni

A difference between Pedro Gomez and a Legit Hall of Fame Baseball Person

2) 1-1, 9th inning. gives up a 2-run homer to Robin Ventura. A's lose, 3-1. My story said Eck took the loss. The Tribune headline erroneously stated, "Eck Blows Another Save, A's Lose." The next game, two days later, the are playing the Royals.

ExOB6NEN_reasonably_small.jpg

3) We're in the manager's office and is fuming that the Trib says Eck blew a save when he didn't. In a group of beat writers and columnists, he looks at Frank Blackman of the Examiner and says, "You see the shit I have to put up with around here? Every day."

4) LaRussa goes on. "This is the type of shit I'm talking about, Frank." He looks around the room. "Where's Hickey?" Then LaRussa looks at the byline and says, "Howard Bryant? Howard Bryant? Who the FUCK is Howard Bryant?" I sheepishly raise my hand.

5) I cover preps. Never been in a big-league manager's office before. I say, "The story says it was tied." LaRussa ignores me, just rails about the bullshit media and the horseshit coverage, shaking his head, muttering for all to hear, "Howard Bryant."

6) A voice interrupts him. "Jesus Christ, Tony. You know we don't write the headlines. The story is right. Leave the kid alone. Why are you embarrassing him?" It was Pedro, whom I didn't know, never met, and worked for the San Jose Mercury News, a rival paper.

1 hour ago, The Grinder said:

RIP Rush, you will be missed :(

“I mean, let’s face it, we didn’t have slavery in this country for over 100 years because it was a bad thing. Quite the opposite: slavery built the South. I’m not saying we should bring it back; I’m just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark.”

Our nation's wealth was first build on slavery and tobaccos which were illegally smuggled into the country. We continued with cotton and again slave labor. We discovered gold in California after declaring war on Mexico and taking their land because it was our manifest destiny. (We also found oil on the land that was formerly Mexico). That laid the foundation for a big old bomb that killed on a scale never before contemplated.  Now our most successful companies are the ones that offer the very least to their employees. Our system is great at funneling wealth to the top. 

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

Our nation's wealth was first build on slavery and tobaccos which were illegally smuggled into the country. We continued with cotton and again slave labor. We discovered gold in California after declaring war on Mexico and taking their land because it was our manifest destiny. (We also found oil on the land that was formerly Mexico). That laid the foundation for a big old bomb that killed on a scale never before contemplated.  Now our most successful companies are the ones that offer the very least to their employees. Our system is great at funneling wealth to the top. 

There's a difference between remembering negative history and admiring it and wanting it to repeat.

• Love 2

9 hours ago, Texsox said:

I prefer the South Park version that was shown in Bowling for Columbine.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Texsox locked this topic