Madrigal could be ready for opening day

southsider2k5

On 1/7/2021 at 10:27 AM, Perfect Vision said:

In his first 29 career games last year Madrigal hit .340, and here we have a 6 page thread with people complaining about him.  So bizarre.

People forget how valuable Scotty Pods was to the 2005 effort.  Madrigal is the same type of player only better.

I believe his already solid defense and base running will improve with a bit more experience and teaching.

The few mistakes he made seem exaggerated by the very small sample size.

The kid will hit, get on base, move runners over, and score some runs.

What more do you need from a 9 hole hitter? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

From what I can tell, Cespedes has a bigger frame and has already packed on a lot of muscle.  This isn’t just about height as Madrigal is just a little guy all around.

So if Madrigal gained 15 lbs of muscle would everyone change their minds that hes not too small?

4 hours ago, NotHahn said:

So if Madrigal gained 15 lbs of muscle would everyone change their minds that hes not too small?

Madrigal already did gain a couple pounds before 2020 and also hit the ball slightly harder than in the minors.

I think he can gain another 10 pounds but he shouldn't gain more than to not lose speed and agility.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Madrigal already did gain a couple pounds before 2020 and also hit the ball slightly harder than in the minors.

I think he can gain another 10 pounds but he shouldn't gain more than to not lose speed and agility.

I'm making light of the fact that Madrigal is 5'8 180 and most think he is too small but Cespedes is 5'9 205 and no one is questioning his size. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NotHahn said:

I'm making light of the fact that Madrigal is 5'8 180 and most think he is too small but Cespedes is 5'9 205 and no one is questioning his size. 

Well cespedes is at least 25 pounds heavier and thus a lot stronger (were is the 180 from? Fg has him at 165)

However with cespedes there might be another problem i.e a "bad body" that could affect his agility, flexibility and play a position other than DH. You don't want to bulk up too much as a short guy or you will be labeled a bad body player.

53 minutes ago, Cashman said:

Pods stole bases and made pitchers throw stress pitches. Madrigal atm, can not run them.

Yeah when Pods was healthy he was a serious threat.  It was fun as hell watching him on the bases for the first half or 2/3 of the 2005 season.

I don't think even the staunchest Madrigal supporters can say they aren't overwhelmingly disappointed in his speed relative to the advertisements.  Same with the raw tools defensively and intelligence on the basepaths.

2 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I don't think even the staunchest Madrigal supporters can say they aren't overwhelmingly disappointed in his speed relative to the advertisements.  Same with the raw tools defensively and intelligence on the basepaths.

He certainly was not an 80 runner, probably more like 50... which is a huge disappointment.

I do think the poor display of raw tools and intelligence will prove to be a fluke over time.

16 minutes ago, hi8is said:

He certainly was not an 80 runner, probably more like 50... which is a huge disappointment.

I do think the poor display of raw tools and intelligence will prove to be a fluke over time.

His sprint speed was 77th percentile last year. That is not an 80 but probably a 60-65 grade.

3 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Yeah when Pods was healthy he was a serious threat.  It was fun as hell watching him on the bases for the first half or 2/3 of the 2005 season.

Most of us realize he came up to the big club on a fast track.  Stealing bases is more than raw speed (timing the pitcher and getting a jump) and we know he won a minor league gold glove in his short minor league career.  All in all, I am delighted in his overall first appearances.  Going to be getting nothing but better with time.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Impossible.  He has shown in 29 games that he is a poor defender and may take years to become merely adequate./green

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I find my smile widening when Nick is up there making the opposition pitcher work hard.  I half expect the 8th pitch to be tossed up underhanded with an accompanied "c'mon you little pissant, what are you going to do - hit a double?".  How does one go about qualifying/quantifying the frustration/anger he surely causes?  I can imagine Nick fairly quickly evolving to a point where he does start 'turning' on 1st pitch fastballs that fill up a teacup sized version of his 'power' zone.  Ohhhhhhhh Nellie, he's already fun to watch, with the best yet to come.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, ptatc said:

Impossible.  He has shown in 29 games that he is a poor defender and may take years to become merely adequate./green

Pipeline is by far the least accurate scouting list and are usually just rehashes of a player's reputation.  Nobody that watched Nick last year thinks he's a gold glove level 2B.  He has range issues and arm issues.  In fact I am shocked that any scout that ever watched him thought he was a potential SS.  He can be a solid 2B but there was talk he'd be a generational type defensive stalwart and that is just not the case.

13 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Pipeline is by far the least accurate scouting list and are usually just rehashes of a player's reputation.  Nobody that watched Nick last year thinks he's a gold glove level 2B.  He has range issues and arm issues.  In fact I am shocked that any scout that ever watched him thought he was a potential SS.  He can be a solid 2B but there was talk he'd be a generational type defensive stalwart and that is just not the case.

Boom

21 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

That's where he started was ss. Was recruited by Oregon when he was a ss in high school. But was told by the Oregon coach that he would play him at 2nd. They already had a ss. I do agree with you on pipeline's scouting reports not being the best.

Edited by smellysox