A/AA season start to be delayed

MiddleCoastBias

I honestly don't see how you can have minor league baseball this season at all.   The economics of the game don't work without ticket sales and concession revenues.   Most teams will not be able to have this happen at any time in 2021.    If we end up with MLB this summer, I think you'll have camps like last year and no AAA/AA/A action.

• Like 1

I honestly don’t think spring training gets delayed. The owners want to because they don’t want to pay players salaries without fans. They really have no leg to stand on. Unless the federal government or local governments in Arizona and Florida don’t allow spring training, it’ll start on time. Evan Drellich of The Athletic just wrote about it. 

All this means is, big league guys, NRI and AAA guys will be at ST. AA and under comes in after they depart and season starts late and runs into October. Small town USA will absolutely have fans in the stands. None of these businesses will survive otherwise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I honestly don’t think spring training gets delayed. The owners want to because they don’t want to pay players salaries without fans. They really have no leg to stand on. Unless the federal government or local governments in Arizona and Florida don’t allow spring training, it’ll start on time. Evan Drellich of The Athletic just wrote about it. 

All this means is, big league guys, NRI and AAA guys will be at ST. AA and under comes in after they depart and season starts late and runs into October. Small town USA will absolutely have fans in the stands. None of these businesses will survive otherwise. 

Thanks Jimmy.   We need any good news we can get.

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I sure hope you are right.  The minor league game is the only game in town for many people.  

I think the MLB teams may need to assist their affiliated teams financially to make a season happen but I think they will do it.  I don't see how they can lose another year of development.  The camp system for the best players is no where near the development quality of AAA and the younger players may just disappear off the grid if they can't play another year.

• Like 2

On 1/5/2021 at 7:48 PM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think there will still be issues as we have seen in the NHL. The AHL minor league hockey season has been cut in half. Columbus announced that they won't field a team and Providence has lost their arena to accomodate  covid testing site.  I think the MLB will also see issues w their minor league affiliates as February may be a bad month before we see vaccine relief.  

12 hours ago, SCCWS said:

I think there will still be issues as we have seen in the NHL. The AHL minor league hockey season has been cut in half. Columbus announced that they won't field a team and Providence has lost their arena to accomodate  covid testing site.  I think the MLB will also see issues w their minor league affiliates as February may be a bad month before we see vaccine relief.  

The Chicago Wolves announced they will play their entire schedule in a community ice rink rather than the Allstate Arena.

On 1/5/2021 at 5:07 PM, Dick Allen said:

The vaccine rollout has been slow, the new variants may make things far worse before they get better. I thinkspring training gets delayed until April and the season starts in May with around 140 games.

That would make sense.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

That would make sense.

It doesn’t make sense. Players aren’t accepting 140 games unless they get paid for 162. The owners have no leg to stand on. The only way spring training gets delayed is if local governments in AZ and FL shut down spring training and that seems very unlikely. 

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It doesn’t make sense. Players aren’t accepting 140 games unless they get paid for 162. The owners have no leg to stand on. The only way spring training gets delayed is if local governments in AZ and FL shut down spring training and that seems very unlikely. 

I think you're underestimating the wickedness of MLB owners.  

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I never said it would happen. I said it would make sense. Each group has reasons why they don't want it to happen

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's addressed in this thread, but Rosenthal's lack of spine when it comes to these issues is a consistent disappointment. I guess I should've known, after he tried to "both sides" domestic violence and praised the Cubs for doing the bare minimum in response

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

It's addressed in this thread, but Rosenthal's lack of spine when it comes to these issues is a consistent disappointment. I guess I should've known, after he tried to "both sides" domestic violence and praised the Cubs for doing the bare minimum in response

This is how people like Ken Rosenthal get access to information and rumors.  They are water carriers for ownership.

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

So...do you put Vaughn on AAA team and move him to MLB as soon as it starts? I really can't believe AAA would start before the bigs do though. 

I don't see AAA starting before MLB. They just assume mlb starts on time here and if mlb gets delayed AAA gets delayed accordingly.